Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A good/cheap CP rod?  (Read 11686 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
A good/cheap CP rod?
« on: November 19, 2016, 04:20:57 PM »

Whaaaaat?! Hasn't this been discussed before ad nauseam? Yes it has; I should know as I did a search for "center pin rod" on this site and read most of the old threads. However, I figure there could be some good "new comer" rods on the market, or perhaps some rods that used to be good but are now less than desirable due to crappy changes in warranty, or whatever.

So, I have never fished a center pin before, but I bought an entry level reel the other day. I'm looking for a similarly priced entry level rod ($100ish). I figure no need to spend big bucks if I'm not even sure if I'll like/get into this. If I end up loving the pin I can always upgrade later.

I'd like the rod to be a bit on the beefier side. Say 10-20 or 12-20 line rating. 8-17lb would probably be ok too but I don't think I'd want to go any lighter than this. 10"6 to 11"6 in length. I'd like to have a bit of extra beef as when I hook a steelhead or salmon I'll likely be struggling a bit (or maybe a lot!) with hand dragging the reel. I don't need the added stress of having a rod being pushed to or past its limit. If the rod is a bit over powered for pinks/coho I don't really care. For now I plan to buy just one rod and I'd rather have a bit too much beef and not need it than need it and not have it.

Anyway, reading past threads a common recommendation was to get a CP rod where the reel seat locks up from the bottom - not the top! This makes total sense. I don't want my finger resting on threads, and I don't want to mickey-mouse it with electrical tape or whatever. If someone gave me a rod and it had the threads on top fine, but if I'm going to buy one I want them on the bottom.

I like the look of the Amundson 11"6, 10-17 line rating CP rod. Not sure what the price is though. I think the sliding reel seat is a slick idea!

http://www.amundson.ca/gfishingrods/28

Other popular entry level rods mentioned on FWR are:

Fenwick HMX 10"6
Trophy XL 10"6 8-15lb
Trophy Titan 3113

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Re: A good/cheap CP rod?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 04:52:41 PM »

I'm also interested in buying a center pin rod.  I would also like some ideas on which local shops have a good selection of rods in various brands and price ranges.  I've been using a baitcasters for years but today I went to the fishing sale in Chilliwack and bought a center pin reel from Don Campbell. I don't want to spend too much on a rod at this point because I am a total novice but I'm looking forward to learning this style of drifting.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Shinny

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »

I have the Amundson, you can get them on sale at army and navy for around 125.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 05:09:08 PM »

I'm also interested in buying a center pin rod.  I would also like some ideas on which local shops have a good selection of rods in various brands and price ranges.  I've been using a baitcasters for years but today I went to the fishing sale in Chilliwack and bought a center pin reel from Don Campbell. I don't want to spend too much on a rod at this point because I am a total novice but I'm looking forward to learning this style of drifting.

Wow nice a Campbell reel hey? I have seen them at the fish swap before. How much are they?

I have been playing around with my no name centerpin reel. It seems totally decent! No line on it yet. I am told it is the same reel as the Raven Helix, only about 1/3 the price. My buddy has had one for years and it has held up just fine. More than good enough for me to test out and see if I like center pinning.

It is this reel, but I found a better price on it from a diff seller. $70USD shipped from china to my door :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Float-Reel-Center-Pin-Aluminum-SteelHead-Salmon-Trout-Fishing-Reel-Reel-Bag-/181935155069?hash=item2a5c2e277d:g:gYoAAOSwnGJWS-mQ

Which looks very, very similar to the Raven Helix...

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Raven-Helix-Centerpin-Reels

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 05:11:52 PM »

I have the Amundson, you can get them on sale at army and navy for around 125.

Which one do you have? The 11"6 10-17lb line rated one?

How do you like the rod? Review please :)

I see this one on the Army and Navy website.

Similar to the one of the Amundson website, but this one does not have the sliding/adjustable reel seat.

http://www.armyandnavy.ca/2pc-11-6-M-M-Centerpin-Rod_p_16897.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:16:17 PM by Spawn Sack »

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 05:14:06 PM »

I would recommend the Amundson 2116M as a good entry level pin rod . It retails $149.99 but I'm sure it goes on sale every now and then for $100 to $125 . I like the length (11'6") and it has a nice uplocking real seat . I have hooked tons of spring , chum and steelhead on this rod and it handles them all good . It is stiff enough for the bigger fish yet you still get some fight and bending action from the coho and smaller steelhead . It has a fairly sensitive tip too so you can feel the bites . I've used pretty well all entry level rods before finally upgrading to a Rainshadow and feel the Amundson is the best rod for the money with the Fenwick HMX being second .

VirtualFisher

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 05:15:34 PM »

I have couple CP rods, Shimano technium and Rapala, that I don't use.  The  Rapala centerpin rod like this one  is brand new.  I think Army & navy currently has it on sale for $150.  I can sell it for less than that.

https://rapala.ca/products/classic-float-drift

11.6 feet, 8-17lb, medium power, fast action.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:20:42 PM by VirtualFisher »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 05:23:25 PM »

I would recommend the Amundson 2116M as a good entry level pin rod . It retails $149.99 but I'm sure it goes on sale every now and then for $100 to $125 . I like the length (11'6") and it has a nice uplocking real seat . I have hooked tons of spring , chum and steelhead on this rod and it handles them all good . It is stiff enough for the bigger fish yet you still get some fight and bending action from the coho and smaller steelhead . It has a fairly sensitive tip too so you can feel the bites . I've used pretty well all entry level rods before finally upgrading to a Rainshadow and feel the Amundson is the best rod for the money with the Fenwick HMX being second .

Sweet thanks for that. I'll take a look at it next time I'm in Langley.

I have couple CP rods, Shimano technium and Rapala, that I don't use.  The  Rapala centerpin rod like this one  is brand new.  I think Army & navy currently has it on sale for $150.  I can sell it for less than that.

https://rapala.ca/products/classic-float-drift

11.6 feet, 8-17lb, medium power, fast action.

Thanks for the offer. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 06:25:23 PM »

I would also recommend the Amundson 2116 pin rod. I've been using my 2 seasons now since going back to a pin setup and love it compared to ultra expensive rods. Both my main fishing buddies also fish the same rod and are extremely pleased with it. Best part for me is if I do snap it I can just go buy another.

My Amundson is the burgundy rod which I think they replaced with the current one. Mine says 2116 center pin mooching on the blank and so far I've taken everything but pinks or chinook over 30 lbs and it's handled everything very well
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 10:35:55 PM »

Buy the Amundsen..

Animal Chin

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 10:55:37 PM »

I have the 11'6 Amundson, it's a great rod. The uplocking reel seat and cork is really nice. And it'd be perfect if you want a rod with a bit more backbone, especially if you're a bigger dude. I think I paid $100 for it at Army Navy.

However, I picked up a new Trophy XL Titan 2106 on craigslist and it's my go to rod for coho and steelhead. It's shorter, lighter in weight and I like the flex on it.. though i have to admit I may be undergunned in certain situations. It has a downlocking reel seat but I just wrapped the threads with badminton grip wraps and some electrical tape.

I'm keeping the Amundson as backup or if my tastes change, for that price, why not. 

losos

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 10:14:52 AM »

I might be in minority ,but don't feel like Amundson is capable of handling springs. For that I have Sage. It  is good , light rod and never feel tired when fishing it. Last year got steely on it and it felt underpowered to me. The beast pulled so hard that rod got flat past 4 inches above the cork .
For a grip imo West Coast style were reel sits higher is better than ours so my next rod will have different one.

Tenz85

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »

I also have the Amundsen kudos 8-17lbs as an entry rod as well. Its been good and fought several steelies and chinooks. The biggest down side to me for this rod is the inconvenience of added assembly for 3 piece rods but some may prefer the portability of it. The 8-17 to me is great for lower mainland rivers and if you're out all day casting for steelie in the colder winter months, you'll appreciate not having an overly heavy rod. Not unlikely to find fish in the upper teens or lower 20s but could just chase them done on the banks. I've heard Amundsen has great customer service and believe the warranty is 5 years.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 04:06:33 PM »

Which Lower mainland stores handle the Fenwick and Trophy center pin rods ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

VirtualFisher

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 04:33:56 PM »

Fred's Custom Tackle in abbotsford or Berry's Bait and Tackle in Richmond