Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oyama lake  (Read 2348 times)

fishgutz63

oyama lake
« on: September 03, 2010, 05:54:13 PM »

with all the buzz about sockeye lately,just wanted to change it up just a wee bit.i,ll be heading up to oyama lake in the okanagan 3rd week of september,just wanted to know if anyone out there has fished this lake at this time of year. any experiences ,ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. will be gear fishing and fly fishing too.so any ideas on flies to be used successfully would be welcomed too. thanx in advance 8)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: oyama lake
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:14:16 PM »

Being the high elevation lake it is, it will be quite cold there in a couple of weeks, so boatmen patterns are a pretty safe bet. Of course, don't forget the array of fall leeches (the notorious pumpkinhead has produced very well for me there). Chironomids are always goods producers there -try olive ice-cream cones size 12-14.
Fish the dropoffs around the larger islands across from the lodge.
Don't expect anything spectacular in terms of size - but if you dial into what they are eating, you could have double digit numbers of feisty 12-16 inchers, with the occasional 2-3 pounder for balance.
The fish out of Oyama is very tasty.

As far as gear goes, I can't be of much help as I don't fish gear on still waters.