Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: back trolling  (Read 12539 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: back trolling
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »

The use of finfish as bait is not only limited to fishing for white sturgeon in the tidal portion of the Fraser River.

That's kind of what I'm getting at, Rod. I'm not doubting bb (well, maybe just a little ;)) but I am always a litte cautious about taking another person's interpretation of the regs, without a primary source also being available.

The regs for non tidal Fraser very clearly state that finfish are only to be used for sturgeon angling, but, after my reading, I can find no mention of restrictions of finfish for bait in the tidal river. If it's there, and I am missing it, I would be interested to know otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:33:30 PM by clarki »

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »

That's why I asked the question - I can't seem to find where it specifically says no finfish can be used as bait in tidal portion of Fraser either.  And I'm still waiting for a call back from the local DFO office to answer my question - its been more than 2 weeks since I called and left a message and still no call back

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 09:02:49 PM »

thanks for the clarification Rod!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 09:52:07 PM »

I'm double checking this with someone at the department, so will provide a definite answer in a few days.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 07:21:25 PM »

We did a lot of back trolling last year in the Harrison system.  No bait needed.  Two similar types of lures, flat fish, and kwick fish.  The K-14 and K-15 kwik fish worked waaaaay better than the flat fish.  It dove better.   The other type seemed to roll and eventually make its way back up to the surface.  Very fun way to fish.  I would recommend quick release rod holders, because the stryker holders I was using last year made it real tough to pull the rod out sometimes when a fish was on.  We hooked, and landed over 20 salmon with this method in a few days.  Our days were aslo split up with shore fishing so really, it works well.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »

Thanks for the update Driller - I'm pretty stoked to give this method a try this summer

dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »

anyone wana buy some plugs ??

Charts

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »

bit of an older post I realize. Looking at maybe doing a bit of kwik fish work this year. Driller do you use lead or a diver to get the kwik down or just straight lure? Also will the ho's hammer them? thanks

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »

People use oolies and pieces of salmon for Sturgeon all the time in the Fraser.

Pretty sure it is legal in the tidal to use finfish as bait only for Sturgeon

But don't quote me.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »

actually Rodney checked into this for me earlier this summer and yes you are allowed to use finfish as bait for salmon (contrary to popular belief) in the Tidal Fraser

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »

Cool, i'm gonna give this a show.

How often do you get hung up on bottom?  I hear you gotta be very close to bottom, I wonder how much of a struggle dealing with all the wood on the bottom of the river.

At this time of year, I feel compelled to use a small/medium kwikfish to try to entire Cohos in the process.

But bigger sounds better to hit springs (and maybe Chum??) using this technique?

fishman254

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 09:07:56 PM »

Has anone ever tried back trolling for salmon in the Fraser or the Harrison?  I'd like to try this.  Plugs, or Kwik Fish.  Looks effective and fun.
Yes, K14 Kwikfish in silver/chartreuse, or Blue Magoo colored M2 Flatfish, behind a Jet Diver. Slower-current years are better, I find. These mostly catch Chinook, but the Magwart plugs mostly get coho. Try silver/purple if chum salmon are around. I caught chum last year, right where you shot that Sept 29 video, and I was plunking K14's in silver/purple. I fished there for 13 days around early November. Jigs outfished those by 10:1, however.....jigs are more work though.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:09:52 PM by fishman254 »

fishman254

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »

actually Rodney checked into this for me earlier this summer and yes you are allowed to use finfish as bait for salmon (contrary to popular belief) in the Tidal Fraser
What about the Harrison!?

fishman254

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 09:16:44 PM »

We did a lot of back trolling last year in the Harrison system.  No bait needed.  Two similar types of lures, flat fish, and kwick fish.  The K-14 and K-15 kwik fish worked waaaaay better than the flat fish.  It dove better.   The other type seemed to roll and eventually make its way back up to the surface.  Very fun way to fish.  I would recommend quick release rod holders, because the stryker holders I was using last year made it real tough to pull the rod out sometimes when a fish was on.  We hooked, and landed over 20 salmon with this method in a few days.  Our days were aslo split up with shore fishing so really, it works well.
Flatfish are better in slower water than the Kwikies. I rarely don't use a Jet Diver, unless it's shallow and/or quite slow water. On the Kenai they run a short dropper to the Diver, on a sliding line/swivel. If the lure snags bottom the diver can still float up if the line breaks and you can usually find/retreive the diver. They float.

fishman254

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 09:22:26 PM »

In clear water like the Harrison plugs usually outfish Spin N Glows for Chinook, but in real dirty water a baited Spin N Glow would likely outfish an unbaited plug. I've stretchy-thread-wrapped cured coon stripe shrimp sections to Kwikfish in place of the sardine....would that work and be legal on the Harrison?