Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How lucky YOU are....  (Read 3315 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
How lucky YOU are....
« on: July 20, 2006, 09:17:30 PM »

I just wanted to climb up on my soapbox for a few minutes here....I'm assuming every year about this time the same topic raises it's ugly head. I've read how one guy is quitting because he felt put upon which to me is silly. If you have an opinion you should voice it, if others don't agree then argue your point and get on with it. People are taking this all way too far. I personally have become a dyed in the wool fly guy....I love everything about it and can't seem to bring myself to take my baitcasting gear out anymore...( nice Calcutta te's and conquests too )..But when I read and see the pictures and stories from B.S. and Chris etc. bar fishing I honestly laugh my a$$ off and think what an absolute blast it would be to be hanging out and doing that too.

Milo, I've seen on some other sites and has the best underwater fish shots I've ever seen, I hope he doesn't mind that I've stolen a couple of his shots and use them for my desktops. I look forward to meeting you guys...( and dream of CW gurl  :D) on the river. I've taken a class from Jeff and had a blast learning fly stuff and mostly bullsheeitn and fishing with him after the class.

Basically your choices are your own, So own them. It's a great time to be doing what we're doing on some of the worlds not just countries best rivers. I was lookin at some of old pictures on here and I don't think I saw one guy or gurl who wasn't cheesing big time with their catch. Some kept them others let um go...good for both...(OK, I got to admit the one shot of the guy with the fish shooting it's goo on his foot looked shocked but that was a classic!!!!)

I've met more good guys walking off or while fishing in my last year then in ten playing golf. I've had more fun and felt more inspired doing some of the stupidest things, like catching my first pink with a birdnested baitcaster or my first trout on the fly and many more since. The pride you feel when your catching fish on your own flies and have figured out what to do. My lesson with Kathy Ruddick and learning to FINALLY double haul and just rip out some line. Admitting that Chironomids are OK and I fish them too...It's all part of the thrill, the game , the adventure of fishing. So how about you all remember what it is and why you do it that keeps you here and brings you back. There are a lot of reasons to argue for what you believe in and that's fine but just because it's what you believe in doesn't mean it's right or true. Your Truth and mine may not be the same thing so expect that and respect it as well...

Remember, "We're all in this togeather" Red Green

boomer

• I'm a llama!
Re: How lucky YOU are....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:37:05 PM »

Nicely put

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 09:44:53 PM »

After all, under the law, we do have a lot of freedom :)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 08:57:57 AM »

Nice post, golfman. I have to agree with you 100%.
Unfortunately, there will always be the judgemental individuals who will question everything others are doing. Human nature, I guess. But then again, they also fuel debates, which is good. I only wish the moderators weren't so quick to put a lock on some threads.

Cheers, Milo

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 12:06:11 PM »

Well said Golfman65,i totally agree with you

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 12:09:58 PM »

good post golfman
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 12:24:24 PM by Eagleye »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 05:24:25 PM »

Right on the mark GM!!   ;) :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 08:36:06 PM »

How right you are Paul. Like I try to get across in my classes you find your own place in the sport. Wheather you hand line, fly fish, spincast, drift fish does not matter. It's about enjoying the sport. Fine what works for you and try to master it, that is the challenge.

And yes I know how lucky I am. Writing about sport fishing and teaching every aspect of fly fishing is a dream come true. A dream I had when I was an 8 year old boy and caught my first Cutthroat on Noon's Creek (it was an open fishery 43 years ago). I took that fish home and told my mother I wanted to eat it for breakfast because that is what they did on My Three Sons (My Three Sons was a 60's sitcom anbout a single father and his sons). The next morning as I eat that fish, I reveiwed all the events of my fishing trip the day before and decided that one day I would help others find the same enjoyment I had found. And that first trout for breakfast is a tradition I passed on to my two daughters and intend on passing on tp my grandchildren.

We few, We happy few
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 09:47:15 PM »

How right you are Paul. Like I try to get across in my classes you find your own place in the sport. Wheather you hand line, fly fish, spincast, drift fish does not matter. It's about enjoying the sport. Fine what works for you and try to master it, that is the challenge.

And yes I know how lucky I am. Writing about sport fishing and teaching every aspect of fly fishing is a dream come true. A dream I had when I was an 8 year old boy and caught my first Cutthroat on Noon's Creek (it was an open fishery 43 years ago). I took that fish home and told my mother I wanted to eat it for breakfast because that is what they did on My Three Sons (My Three Sons was a 60's sitcom anbout a single father and his sons). The next morning as I eat that fish, I reveiwed all the events of my fishing trip the day before and decided that one day I would help others find the same enjoyment I had found. And that first trout for breakfast is a tradition I passed on to my two daughters and intend on passing on tp my grandchildren.

We few, We happy few

I'm with you Jeff, I remember when it was the original, before they got married and booted Uncle Charlie out...I swear my UPS driver is Ernie...