Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: water hardening single eggs  (Read 9594 times)

welsh wizard

water hardening single eggs
« on: December 09, 2010, 07:27:03 PM »

anyone got any good techniques for hardening single eggs,i made a good batch last time but can't remember exactly how i did it!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:55:39 PM by welsh wizard »

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: water hardening single eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 08:20:32 PM »

I just boil a pot of water with a whole bunch of sea salt in it. When the salt is dissolved, I let it cool down to room temperature, pour it into a good size jar and add my eggs , give it a small shake, and keep them in the fridge until I want to tie some roe bags. They'll stay good for a loooooong time.  ;) You can check the eggs after a few hours, by taking some in your hand and dropping them on the table. If they bounce , it's all good.

I'm sure there are many different ways people do it , this is just the way I do mine and they work great.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »

The key to good eggs is immediately after collecting singles from the fish they should be stored in river water. This alone will harden them considerably. You can then when you get home store them in a salt brine solution. I like to use 1 cup non iodized salt for 1 liter of water buzzed up in a blender. Just make sure that you don't use chlorinated tap water.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 10:26:45 AM by BigCoho »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 08:37:12 PM »

I use boric acid, sugar, sodium sulfite and distilled water.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

aquaholic

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 08:50:50 PM »

easiest way is to put them in a ziploc and put them in RIVER water, drain and put more in, within about 20 minutes you will have jensen like singles

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »

The key to good eggs is immediately after collecting singles from the fish they should be stored in river water. This alone will harden them considerably. You can then when you get home store them in a salt brine solution. I like ti use 1 cup non iodized salt for 1 liter of water buzzed up in a blender. Just make sure that you don't use chlorinated tap water.

Ditto

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 10:40:42 PM »

So what happens if you put them in chlorinated water?  Do they not harden?

welsh wizard

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 07:31:53 AM »

thanks for the offer fin.but i don't use brown and black wool :D    keep it in your lost and found wool section

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 10:29:49 AM »

So what happens if you put them in chlorinated water?  Do they not harden?

Fish can smell the chlorine for 1 and 2, I have had batches go to waste when I used tap water. Just take 4L milk jug of river water home or buy distilled water

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 10:57:08 AM »

Fish can smell the chlorine for 1 and 2, I have had batches go to waste when I used tap water. Just take 4L milk jug of river water home or buy distilled water

Or put your tap water in a pot and leave it on the counter for a few hours. Chlorine will dissipate from the water into the air.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 08:18:23 AM »

How did they turn out WW ?
A strong salt brine always worked fine for me.
The Fishin Musician

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 04:11:29 AM »

quick question for all you seasoned veterans. my buddy has some skeins (frozen) he is willing to part with, and i was wondering if i can use them or do they have to be singles already when taking out of the fish, i have always bought them from berrys. thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:40:17 AM by tight-lines »
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 08:50:03 AM »

quick question for all you seasoned veterans. my buddy has some skeins (frozen) he is willing to part with, and i was wondering if i can use them or do they have to be singles already when taking out of the fish, i have always bought them from berrys. thanks in advance.

All you need to do is bring a pot of water to just before it boils then dip your skeins of eggs in for just a second. This helps to seperate the eggs from the skeins.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 09:17:44 AM »

All you need to do is bring a pot of water to just before it boils then dip your skeins of eggs in for just a second. This helps to seperate the eggs from the skeins.
thanks jeff so i will let them defrost in the fridge and then give em a quick dip and make my brine to store and im good to go... do the foam balls help keep it off the bottom or they more for show? ive always used gobs of roe and with that said im looking for cleaner steelhead season.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 10:04:42 PM »

thanks jeff so i will let them defrost in the fridge and then give em a quick dip and make my brine to store and im good to go... do the foam balls help keep it off the bottom or they more for show? ive always used gobs of roe and with that said im looking for cleaner steelhead season.

The foam balls keeps the bait off of the bottom.