Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River - Ruskin Spawning channel?  (Read 13358 times)

jazzhead

Re: Stave River - Ruskin Spawning channel?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »

Stick to the east side, park on Hayward Street, walk through the swamp to get to the river, or if they allow you too, walk through the construction area close to the dam.

Stick to Humpy's advice or you might get your car towed away if you park on Wilson.  You can park along Hayward on the section before Keystone Ave and walk up on Hayward.  Only the section of Hayward northward after Keystone is no parking zone.

Humpy

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 06:04:29 PM »

Stick to Humpy's advice or you might get your car towed away if you park on Wilson.  You can park along Hayward on the section before Keystone Ave and walk up on Hayward.  Only the section of Hayward northward after Keystone is no parking zone.
Sorry for not being more specific, but like jazzhead said, a part of Hayward is open, its fairly easy to get to the river, just follow somebody in, and sometimes they let you walk through the construction site, when I was there they said no, but some people do get through. Bear spray is always a good idea.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

ninez

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 06:22:16 PM »

I have never been to the east side of the river.
I parked on Wilson and walk.

It helps if you have a 4x4 or truck so you can park on Wilson (road shoulder) between the trailer park (Ruskin Place) and triple creek estate.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:23:10 PM by ninez »

Humpy

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 06:24:19 PM »

And most people suggest the east side is better, although I've only been to the east side.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 06:28:07 PM »

Looking from the highway bridge up the Stave today, not one fish rising, no waves of chum, nothing, poor season for chum.
Great season for anglers, I have never seen so many vehicles parked.
I'm wondering why the propensity for littering and parking a foot onto the pavement on a narrow dark windy road? I don't understand this behavior at all. Please at least take your garbage with you.
Rant over.

Humpy

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »

Its still quite early for chum, and considering they will most likely be a little late like most species of salmon this season, there should be lots of chum. Lots of chum in the fraser now.

ninez

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »

And most people suggest the east side is better, although I've only been to the east side.

Yes.. east side is better.  I can see lots of chum on the east side from the west side.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »

Since when is the back channel no fishing? I know from the boat to the dam is closed but when did the back channel become no fishing? Its perfect water for coho in the deeper pockets.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »

Since when is the back channel no fishing? I know from the boat to the dam is closed but when did the back channel become no fishing? Its perfect water for coho in the deeper pockets.

It IS open.  It is just the channel from the dam down to the ramp that is closed.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:30:09 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

grumpy

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2013, 11:04:45 PM »

hayward and keystone

Suther

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 08:18:01 AM »

http://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc/projects/ruskin_dam_powerhouse_upgrade.html?WT.mc_id=rd_ruskin

If you scroll down on that page, it talks about all the closures.
"The Lower Railway Parking Lot, northwest of Ruskin Dam, will be closed. The interim Upper Railway Parking Lot, located further up Wilson Street, will be available and provides access for trail and beach users."

Farther down, it links to a PDF that shows a map of whats closed.

Can anyone comment on the walking distance required to reach fishable waters from that parking lot? I would be limited to the west side, which doesn't seem to be very good fishing compared to the east?

ninez

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:08 AM »

http://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc/projects/ruskin_dam_powerhouse_upgrade.html?WT.mc_id=rd_ruskin

"The Lower Railway Parking Lot, northwest of Ruskin Dam, will be closed. The interim Upper Railway Parking Lot, located further up Wilson Street, will be available and provides access for trail and beach users."

Can anyone comment on the walking distance required to reach fishable waters from that parking lot? I would be limited to the west side, which doesn't seem to be very good fishing compared to the east?

The whole stretch of the river is short not like the Chilliwack River.
It's not long.
http://www.riverfishingbc.com/article5.php
There's not gonna be a lot of walking unless you park downstream and want to fish upstream.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 09:33:36 AM »

This map is old. There are no parking signs down the length of the east side of 287th st. There is also a single no parking sign with arrows in both directions just below the trailer park on the west side. People are parking along the road shoulder - some of them on the road shoulder and many of them are getting towed.
I don't know the state of the green parking lots above the dam.

Suther

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 12:27:24 PM »

I know there is no street parking down Wilson,  that's why I ask about the parking lot. How far past the dam would I have to walk to get to the river?  I assume that right at the dam access is blocked so I would have to walk down Wilson some. . ?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 02:16:12 PM »

I also had thought they closed the entire back channel a couple years back. I used to hunt the coho back there armed with my fly rod and dry line with lightly weighted flies and could do quite well. Only other areas I really would fish is the toilet bowl and a mud bar area but always with a fly rod.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/