Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the lighter side of fishing  (Read 13336 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: On the lighter side of fishing
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 08:50:27 PM »

there was a girl fishing at Duncan bar this pink season...her first time fishing for salmon and she goes and catches a 4 foot sturgeon !!! on a lure  :o I wasnt far from her and she hooked it maybe 20feet away from her feet because it jumped right away and scared her to death LOL she promptly passed the rod to her father in law (not confident enough i guess) and he proceeds to land it in a few minutes on the light tackle  ;D myself and another guy helped by tailing the fish and held it so she could get into the pics. They are still talking about her down there LOL  ;D

Wish i had a pic to show you guys unfortunately my camera was MIA that day  :'(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2009, 11:40:46 PM »

This pink season I have encountered a new record in my 20 years of salmon fishing - some one helped me land my fish with a net but the fish felt right through a hole at the bottom of the net LOL.   ;D

Yes, my fish was scooped up by a net with the help of a good guy. I thought I had the fish for good but it promptly felt through a big hole at the bottom of the net. Luckily the hook still sticks when the fish landed back to the water. I literally had to feed the rod & reel through the hole of the net just to keep on fighting the fish which was finally landed with another net. It is customary in Surrey dock that others will grab any net laying on the dock to help you land your fish - good sports. But some one obviously brought alone a net with a big hole LOL. He must be a c&r enthusiast.  :D

funpig

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2009, 11:34:58 AM »

Yesterday morning, I was fly fishing at the lower Vedder canal, standing in about thigh high water.  My cell phone rang.  I stuck my fly rod under my arm pit and just let the fly line dangle down river.  I had to dig my phone out of my pocket and take it out of the zip lock bag.  By then the phone stopped ringing.  I had to pick up the voice mail, returned the call and had to enter some info on my phone.  This took about 3 minutes.  While I was doing this some pink bit on my dangling fly and almost pulled the rod from me and I almost dropped the phone in the water.  I got the phone packed away and then played the fish in.  I always wonder whether fish caught on the fly are just flossed on the swinging fly or if the fish actually bite on it.  It is nice to know that the fish will actually bite on a completely stationary fly.

Brian

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 10:21:08 PM »

I always wonder whether fish caught on the fly are just flossed on the swinging fly or if the fish actually bite on it.  It is nice to know that the fish will actually bite on a completely stationary fly.

If they were flossed, the hook would go into the mouth from the outside  ;D

Steelie1030

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 08:07:13 AM »

A number of years ago my buddy Dave(God rest his soul) and I were trolling for sockeye off UBC in a pretty stiff wind. We somehow got the downrigger cable wound around the prop which promptly stopped. We couldn't get it off in the pitching boat so we were dead in the water and drifting. The wind pushed us right onto Wreck beach where a handful of buck naked guys and one girl came down to the surf to help us. Dave was trying to get the wire off the prop by kneeling behind the motor leg in the sand while two of these "guys" held the boat steady one on either side of him with their schlongs dangling at Dave's eye level about a foot away.Now Dave was extremely homophobic and would not look up at these guys as he worked and they talked to him. It looked like we weren't going to get the wire off when out of nowhere one of the guys produced a pair of pliers. To this day I don't know where he had them stored and I don't want to know. Where was I when all of this was going on, well I was chatting up the girl who had wandered down to have a look. She was pretty easy on the eyes as I recall. Well, with the pliers it didn't take long to get us fixed up and on our way. As a side note, Dave died after suffered a heart attack at the wheel of his car coming home from fishing for coho on the Vedder at Lickman Rd. He was a great fsihing buddy and the image of him kneeling behind the boat on Wreck beach that day always puts a smile on face every time I think of it.

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 03:44:40 PM »

I would put on gloves before using those pliers
As soon as I can afford to go fishing everyday, it's time to retire.

Bill

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 05:39:25 PM »

A number of years ago my buddy Dave(God rest his soul) and I were trolling for sockeye off UBC in a pretty stiff wind. We somehow got the downrigger cable wound around the prop which promptly stopped. We couldn't get it off in the pitching boat so we were dead in the water and drifting. The wind pushed us right onto Wreck beach where a handful of buck naked guys and one girl came down to the surf to help us. Dave was trying to get the wire off the prop by kneeling behind the motor leg in the sand while two of these "guys" held the boat steady one on either side of him with their schlongs dangling at Dave's eye level about a foot away.Now Dave was extremely homophobic and would not look up at these guys as he worked and they talked to him. It looked like we weren't going to get the wire off when out of nowhere one of the guys produced a pair of pliers. To this day I don't know where he had them stored and I don't want to know. Where was I when all of this was going on, well I was chatting up the girl who had wandered down to have a look. She was pretty easy on the eyes as I recall. Well, with the pliers it didn't take long to get us fixed up and on our way. As a side note, Dave died after suffered a heart attack at the wheel of his car coming home from fishing for coho on the Vedder at Lickman Rd. He was a great fsihing buddy and the image of him kneeling behind the boat on Wreck beach that day always puts a smile on face every time I think of it.

Bill

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 05:41:22 PM »

That story is so funny my wife and myself are still laughing ;D

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »

OK I'm sure this is quite common....back in the days when I used to fish the chuck ....

It was a beautiful summer morning and as I launched the boat, other boats were coming in already limited out after only 1/2 hours of fishing, needless to say I was anxious to get out there.  I quickly launched the boat, parked the truck, and started and warmed up the engine. Within minutes my wife and I were bombing out to the fishing grounds at full speed.  After about 15 mins of travel at high speed my wife calmly says "Hey, where did all this water come from".  Yup you guessed it...forgot to put the bilge plug in, and the bilge has already filled up, also there is about a foot of water is sloshing about in the back of the boat.  Holy Crap! that is alot of water!!  no wonder I was having difficulty getting on plane!! Well I took a deep breath, stuck my head into the flooded bilge, and inserted the plug....it was a much slower ride back to the launch.  Got the boat back up onto the trailer, drained the back of the boat out, and relaunched.  

Still turned out to be one of our best days on the water.  Installed a high volume bilge pump after getting home!!

I've also spent my fair share of money replacing stuff I "thought" was attached to something before I threw it overboard....anchors...cannonballs...etc.

Arnie

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 07:02:25 PM »

Steelie1030:

That story is too funny! Dave was a great friend of mine as well, and I can't tell you how many times he told me that story, cruising home from a long day on the river. You couldn't have fished with Dave without ending up with a couple of classics. Here's my fave:

Dave and I decided to be adventurous and hit the river in the middle of a cold snap in January, after a big snow storm. Couldn't get steelies off our minds, and he was absolutely sure that his old Jeep would have no probs getting up the backroads despite the "top of the wheel well" deep snow back there. We had a few close calls while we carefully made our way upriver that morning, and by the time we hit the backroads our confidence was bolstered to say the least! There were hardly any other "Crazy" die hards on the river that day(wonder why ;) ) so that made us sure that our perilous journey would set us up for an amazing day full of leaping steelhead at the end of our lines. As we began to make our way up one of the backroads, we noticed that there were no tire tracks yet(not a good sign), but that didn't faze us. Dave kept on trucking! We made it about 5k in when the old Jeep sputtered to a halt. Dave tried and tried to get that engine to start but it was no use....we were absolutely stuck. We stared at one another for a few moments before we burst out laughing at the fact that we had gotten ourselves into this mess. We knew we had no choice but to gather our gear and hike out for help. That was what we did. I should mention that the snow was coming down like mad and by this point it was accumulating on the car at an alarming rate. We hiked for what seemed like an eternity.....slow going in the deep snow....and eventually made our way to a prison. We made our way inside....and after the prison guards finished laughing at the two crazy fisherman in full garb....they kindly offered us the use of a phone. Not surprisingly we were the spectacle of the day, as it seemed that each and every prisoner made there way out to laugh at us one by one. Pretty humiliating. At least one guy brought us a cup of coffee to warm up! After calling a tow truck, we made our way back up the road to the head of the backroad upon which we were stuck. Along the way I had a close encounter with either a large bobcat or a lynx....craziest close encounter ever....and it scared the crap outta Dave! We waited at the rendezvous point for 3 hours....and finally....off in the distance....there it was....a set of headlights in the snow!!! We were saved!! But when the truck finally arrived, we were a bit apprehensive.....it was a huge flatbed tow truck:( We told the guy it wouldn't be a good idea, but like Dave, he was sure he could make it. It went ok for the first bit, and in fact I started to think it'd be ok......right up until the point that the flatbed skidded sideways down a ravine, landing against a very large tree that(Thank God) held it from sliding all the way into the river!!! We climbed out and assessed the situation. Gotta give the driver some credit. He actually managed to use a culvert and winched it back up to the road. Needless to say, he went no further, and left us to wait for another truck. As we watched him drive off up the logging road, we once again burst out laughing at our predicament. After at least 2 more hours the next tow truck arrived. This guy was well equipped with an F350 4X4 Tow Truck, and he hauled up that road like it was nothing!! Finally we arrived back at the truck, which by this time was completely buried in snow by this point. Dave swept the snow off the drivers side and climbed inside to grab a few things.....he muttered something about giving it a shot. I told him to go ahead, and that's exactly what he did.....and guess what?! the Jeep started right up, and we were able to drive right on outta there. We followed the completely pi$$ed off Tow Truck driver all the way back to town.

I miss Dave too, he was a great guy, and needless to say I had some of my most memorable adventures with him!!

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 10:42:51 PM »

:o  What the hell was this guy doing?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 11:42:21 PM »

:o  What the hell was this guy doing?

You should tell people about the time when you and Steelhead King decided to take a nap before first light on the Vedder...

Or the time when you pushed Steelhead King in the water when he was getting something by the steep bank...

Or the time when Steelhead King pushed you away just before you were ready to make a cast after seeing a steelhead roll so he could make the first cast...

;D

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2009, 09:19:39 PM »

You should tell people about the time when you and Steelhead King decided to take a nap before first light on the Vedder...

Or the time when you pushed Steelhead King in the water when he was getting something by the steep bank...

Or the time when Steelhead King pushed you away just before you were ready to make a cast after seeing a steelhead roll so he could make the first cast...

;D

;D ;D ;D ;D  too funny. thigs i would do or people i know.hahaha.