Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Daiwa Luna, Ebay, etc  (Read 7087 times)

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
Daiwa Luna, Ebay, etc
« on: December 10, 2006, 11:19:50 AM »

Split from a thread in Buy and Sell.

MINE IS NICER  ;D

« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 10:48:08 AM by Rodney »

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Used Calcutta 400
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 12:03:58 PM »

hey captian bonk what did you take those fish on? pink worm, or green corkie  ;D little scent added? i need to get a calcutta or luna for bbing.

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 12:39:20 PM »

GET A LUNA !

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 08:39:11 PM »

you can get them brand new off ebay for 235 shipped to your door step

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 11:12:20 AM »

you can get them brand new off ebay for 235 shipped to your door step
No you can't  ::) find one right now and I will buy it.. I have been looking on E-Bay for that exact reel for a long time and they never sell for less that $225-$250 plus shipping and that is usually for a used reel.. peope know how much they are worth and don't let them go cheap on there!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:22:38 AM by thickrick »

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

charles

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 03:51:39 PM »

I am not trying to high jack this thread...  But there is a couple things being left out...  You have to pay tax (sometimes) when you have thing shipped to you from outside of Canada according to the custom office. 

I did a quick search and the lowest US price is $219.95 with free shipping + tax = $285.80 Canadian
http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Calcutta-CT-400-B-Baitcasting-Reel-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ160060263660QQihZ006QQcategoryZ108153QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Brand new
$224.23 Canadian + $23 Canadian shipping
http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Shimano-Calcutta-CT-400-B-Reel-ARB_W0QQitemZ140059583684QQihZ004QQcategoryZ36162QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

However, you have to deal with the tax when it shipped to you.  So, you add 13% there = $276.37  And this one is the JDM verison (silver chrome color) and brand new as well.

Another place sells it at $240.32 Canadian with free shipping...  But you still have to pay the 13% tax the canadian custom charges you = $240.32 x 13% = $271.56

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 09:04:50 PM »

you could ship them to the states, those places that you just ship to and then pay 2 bucks to pick up the package and then bring it across the border.  Costs you some extra time and gas but you can try to get around the taxes.

charles

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 08:08:45 AM »

you could ship them to the states, those places that you just ship to and then pay 2 bucks to pick up the package and then bring it across the border.  Costs you some extra time and gas but you can try to get around the taxes.

You can do that.  But you have to LIE when you cross the border.  You can put the big 400 reel in your pocket which is very noticeable. 

Here is what happen to me...  I went across to pick up something, (a camera) but it wasn't there.  I had to turn back, and custom offical asked what I did.  I told them my PACKAGE (not camera) was not there.  They search the car, asked me to go inside, empty my pockets, etc...  13% of $250 is only 32 or so dollars.  I am not going to risk that myself...  And in case you want to know, if you ever get caught, your name will be in the list for 5 years.  I do a lot of travelling to Asia and USA and it is no fun to check every single piece of my carry on and suit cases by them in the airport.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 10:58:24 AM »

You can do that.  But you have to LIE when you cross the border.  You can put the big 400 reel in your pocket which is very noticeable. 

Charles, trying to persuade people to be honest and shop locally is a battle you will not win here easily. Thanks for trying though :)

Here is something interesting that I have found of late. I buy stuff from Ebay often enough and have it shipped to Point Bob for pick-up. Anything over $40.00 Canadian will have you paying %13 taxes on top of your purchases should you be smart enough to declare them, which you should be for obvious reasons. You don't want to get on anyones watch list, that's for sure.

Anyway, lately I've had a few items shipped directly to me downtown instead of the Point as I've been short on time with Christmas around the corner. To my surprise, the last three items I purchased which ranged from $40.00 - $120.00 had no additional taxes.

Buy local if you can, I've obtained waders, boots and a wading jacket used from local folks and haven't been disappointed. The Buy and Sell area of the forum is great.

charles

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 11:07:06 AM »

Kelso:

I worked with custom broker a lot since I use their service for my container coming from China...  Here is my experience.  Depends on the cost and courier, the custom office will send a bill to the courier for example, UPS and FEDEX.  After a few months, UPS and Fedex will mail you a bill.  This has happened to me.  I thought I got lucky and did not get tax on.  2 months later, I got a bill from UPS.

And you are right about the $40.  It is actually $50...  You USUALLY don't get charge for stuffs under $50...  But depends on the individual custom officer, sometimes, he/she will still send you in; especially you said the item is new.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 11:12:02 AM »

Charles, thanks for the info. $50.00 is better than $40.00  ;D Merry Christmas to you.

tigerfish

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 03:35:54 PM »

Other than the tax charged by Canada Custom, UPS charge me a handling fee of $45 for a fishing rod cost $270 that I bought from the States(from Ebay). So, total cost for the rod is $270(rod) + $23(shipping cost) + $35(tax) + $45(UPS handling fee) = $373.00.
Becareful man !!!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 06:50:34 PM »

I never use UPS or FedEx. I wont buy off EBAY unless it is sent USPS. Broker fees can kill you.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

charles

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 09:18:54 PM »

Luna is a relatively new reel... 

The 253 has 11lbs of drag compare to the calcutta 300 which has 15lbs of drag. 

The magnetic adjust side plate might be a problem in salt water, or dirt or sand will have a chance to get in...  That has to wait and see... 

Differences with magnetic system compare to SVS system in general:
Distance - SVS wins
Ultra light weight lure - Magnetic wins

And one last thing, you cannot turn off the magnetic system.  Test has been done and eventhough you turn the magnetic to zero, it will still has mininual magnetic force so there is no true free spool.

I am not sure about the all metal line guide...  it worrys me...

And lastly, using a reel for 10 times can't tell if it is a good reel.  I have a Shimano Chronarch A 100 since 1997 and been using it till now from bass, catfish, dogfish, rockcod, lings, salmon, and 4footer stugeon, etc.  I put that reel to hell and until now, I only have a little bit of corrosion in the bearing... 

Don't get me wrong, I am a big Daiwa fan.  I use Daiwa Saltiga for my salt water setup for small tuna up to 40-50lbs...  It is a light weight ultra strong reel. 

charles

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 12:13:38 PM »

Other than the tax charged by Canada Custom, UPS charge me a handling fee of $45 for a fishing rod cost $270 that I bought from the States(from Ebay). So, total cost for the rod is $270(rod) + $23(shipping cost) + $35(tax) + $45(UPS handling fee) = $373.00.
Becareful man !!!

Thanks for reminding that.  I forgot to mention that UPS will charge you broker's fee for $25.  They charged me $25 on a $35 item...  That was just crazy.  After that, I do all the small items brokage myself.