Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: line test  (Read 6483 times)

ko

Re: line test
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 04:52:51 PM »

no need for braided line , i use 10lb,main and 8lb leader maxima ultra green . i find the lighter line you use the better drift it stays more horizontal in the water towards your rod. if you end up breaking off, mono line deterioates, where as braided dose not , therefore it stays in the water ,not good . as for the memory i find maxima ultra green is awsome the line staightens out just fine. i also see guys fishing with 20lb test and loose more fish,than guys with lighter line,because the guys with the lighter line play the fish because they now that if they dont it will break off. whereas the other guys figure they heavy line so they horse the fish in and quite often loose thier fish, becuase they create a bigger hole in the fishes mouth which intern is easier for the hook to come out on a head turn.

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 10:21:25 PM »

For those of you using a topshot of mono, just wondering what knot you use to tie into the backing?

I would like to give it a try but would hate to lose my whole mono end to a poorly tied knot, esp if tying into braid backing as I don't have much experience with braid knots.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 10:36:10 PM »

Double Uni Knot

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 10:43:34 PM »

I use a blood knot and it has yet to fail on me.  Depending on the diameter of the top shot I usually wrap it 11 times on each side or less while leaving a larger loop in the middle to put the ends through.  Use a pair of pliers to hold the loose ends while tightening it.  tighten it most of the way then wet the knot and finish tightening, and cut the excess. Here's a link to the tying instructions:

http://www.steelheader.net/knots/blood_knot.htm

If you find the knot is affecting your casting try covering it with Pilobond and shape it into a smooth oval.

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 11:45:04 PM »

the blood knot is my 'go to' knot for tippet to leader connection so perhaps I will have to tie up a couple o' knots and try an informal break test.

Have you guys tried the Albright knot? I really like that one for braid backing to flyline, but have never tried it from braid to mono really...

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 11:56:43 PM »

Thanks for that Eagle Eye and Griz,

What you say is exactly what I was thinking.

KO I can see where you are coming from regarding playing a fish, yes it’s easier to rip a hook out for sure, especialy for begineers, plenty of merrit there! Lack of stretch has to be compensated for.

However if you know how to play a fish and use your clutch in combination with the action of rod you are using (ie understanding the blance between the 2) you can soon overcome this.

I also agree about leaving long lengths of braid in the river – not good. But simply using a topshot of a weaker strength will mean you can always pull for a break if you are snagged with out leaving lot of line in the water.

(“Topshot” – I think that’s what you mean by a sort length of line between main line and hook – say 1-3 foot long – I’d call it a hook length – but I’m in your country so I’d best learn you terms – tell me if I’m wrong)

KO where I disagree with you is about “the ligher line for better drift” – this is exactly why I use braid, 20lb braid is thinner and is far more managable on a drift than 10lb mono – sorry I am not telling you this, that’s just my opinion – I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

Braid line has no memory (in my experience), I use 20lb because braid is less abrasion resitstant than mono – so just incase I go 10lb heavier – but I still have a thinner more managable line than 10lb mono.

Anyway it’s great to get feedback from all of you, I’m coming here from the UK with my own ideas, and I am keen to put them up for discussion because the fishing over here is totally new to me. I want to learn, but I don’t want to throw everthing I’ve learned in the past 25 years out of the window without finding out about the why you guys do it differently – if that is the case.

Tight lines all,
Cheers,

Paul..

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 12:14:01 AM »

(“Topshot” – I think that’s what you mean by a sort length of line between main line and hook – say 1-3 foot long – I’d call it a hook length – but I’m in your country so I’d best learn you terms – tell me if I’m wrong)

Welcome to B.C. and FWR Paul,

A topshot is like an extension of your mainline.  I make mine approximately the length of my rod so that the knot does not get caught up in the line guide of my reel.  I tie my braid to the mono with a blood knot.  What you are calling a hook length we call a leader.  If the water is murky it is not really necessary to use a topshot of mono but if there is some clarity to the water then using a topshot is more stealthy. 

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 12:42:05 AM »

I start using 20Lb Fireline on my baitcaster speically if i'm fishing on a drift boat. Because the line give no strech, my hook set will be instant. It works great on a long drif.  The way i run my set up is attach the float on the mainline and connected with a snap... Then i do the "Kingfisher" style.. The length of the leader will determin the depth i gonna fish and i clip the split shot on the leader and usuallly the last shot to my hook is no more then 12". This way, i find it give me the most natural drift.  In case i need to change my rig, i just change the entire leader.. With this setup, because your leader is way lighter then your main line, so even if you snag, your leader will break off first, not matter what. Therefore, there will be no bradied line pieces left in the water.