Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kids fishing on Capilano  (Read 4465 times)

KarateKick

Kids fishing on Capilano
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:37:13 PM »

Is there a spot on the Capilano River (or another river close by) that is suitable for kids?  Is it easy for them to catch some small fish there at this time of year?

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Kids fishing on Capilano
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:58:57 PM »

Sorry No.

The cap is a tough river and fairly dangerous river to fish. It's also not that easy to catch fish there.
It's currently full of stale coho, although with this rain a few more fresh fish will have come in.  But I would not recommend it for kids.  Sorry.
None of the other rivers offer any decent fishing.
TBH, the best place for kids in North Vancouver is Rice Lake.
There are still some fish in the lake left over from the Fathers day stocking.
The easiest method for kids is a sliding weight, swivel and about a 2-3 foot leader with no 4 or 6 hook and use chartreuse coloured power bait that floats.
Follow this set up, but do not use a treble hook!  You must only use a single hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6IewE4gXv4

Fish off the dock and cast across to the small island in the middle.  Make sure they watch the rod at all times and strike as quickly as possible, otherwise you will end up with the fish swallowing the bait and if you do not want to retain the fish you will do them a lot of harm.  Also use barbless hooks so that you can return any Coho you catch.  You must not retain Coho, only keep the trout.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:08:02 AM by Knnn »

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:29:31 AM »

Yes there is.I forgot what its called but theres this spot where ive seen kids fishing for small steelhead(6inches long)on a small beach with dick nites and worms.But it is kinda steep trail to get there but usualy there are alot of cliff jumpers.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:38:25 AM »

Yes there is.I forgot what its called but theres this spot where ive seen kids fishing for small steelhead(6inches long)on a small beach with dick nites and worms.But it is kinda steep trail to get there but usualy there are alot of cliff jumpers.
Dont listen to this advice. Leave the young steelhead alone please.

If it was me, depending on how young the kids were, I would fish near Ambleside. Lots of willing little fish in the shallows. Bullhead, flounder, shiner perch.. etc. Worms or deli shrimp work well.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:44:54 AM »

I was just saying that there are small fish like he asked.

RyanB

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »

The big pools are accessible but all of them are slippery and/or high above the water.  I personally would never bring my kids there because the opportunity to slip and fall is always present.

I would say the Keith Road/Highway 1 pool is probably the most accessible.  It is steep but has stairs in a few sections.  Expect a lot of other anglers to be waiting for you.

The cable pool has a staircase with a gate that is easy to climb over.  At low water, you can cast into the tail end of the pool from below.

The fish are there but don't be surprised if they aren't biting.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 01:44:15 PM »

Capilano River is not an appropriate river for fishing with small kids.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 02:44:45 PM »

As FOH mentioned, please leave the steelhead smolts they need to be protected to try and restore steelhead runs on the north shore.

I forgot about salt angling always do.  Try as FOH suggested and you can use the same technique of bottom fishing as I suggested for Rice Lake.  You should pick up some flounders.  If I remember correctly the Ambleside pier can be quite good as you can reach a sandy bottom fairly easily and not loose a ton of gear.  You may need a bigger weight to get out further.  Also remember to thoroughly rinse your fishing gear in fresh water.  The salt is quite corrosive.

It sounds like your kids are too young to need a license but if you are fishing you will need a tidal license, in addition to your freshwater license (PS not sure if the Tidal license web site is back up yet).

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:50:33 PM by Knnn »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 02:56:15 PM »

Saltwater fishing licences are required regardless of your age. If you are under the age of 16, it is free, but you still need to have one by signing up online on DFO's website.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 04:10:46 PM »

I personally won't take my son fishing there until his first whiskers appear.

However, we have had some great hikes and walks on the trails and it's always nice to check out the coho in the viewing area of the hatchery.

RyanB

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 11:21:26 AM »

I went to the Cap for a few hours yesterday.  Saw three kids, about 8 - 10 years old climbing down some slippery rocks in the Cable Pool.  No parents in sight.   :(
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 07:30:18 PM »

Saltwater fishing licences are required regardless of your age. If you are under the age of 16, it is free, but you still need to have one by signing up online on DFO's website.

Thanks Rod, my new thing I learned today and thank you for prompting me to go read the freshwater regs some more.  As a result, the second thing I learned is that you do not need to sign up the 16 year old for the freshwater license.

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 07:57:22 PM »

Barnett Marine Park or Cates Park are fun spots for kids to catch stuff in salt water. cast out far enough and you may catch something big!
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 12:21:49 PM »

Thanks Rod, my new thing I learned today and thank you for prompting me to go read the freshwater regs some more.  As a result, the second thing I learned is that you do not need to sign up the 16 year old for the freshwater license.

No problem. This confusion actually comes up really often since the two licences are managed by two different government, so two sets of rules.

barklee

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 03:57:20 AM »

Kids on the cliffs no but at Ambleside beach at the mouth of the Capilano, get them before they go through system.
A small boat but even on opposite side, be careful fishing at low tide in the water it gets cold and the water rises and you are stepping on mussles you need good boots/waders.