Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The HST vote - making a decision  (Read 125131 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: The HST vote - making a decision
« Reply #150 on: June 18, 2011, 02:46:05 PM »

"In B.C. political history there is another great example of a tax surprise, and it's one that is not just incredibly rich in irony but also parallels the introduction of the HST. Back in 1987, the Social Credit government brought in the property transfer tax, which adds almost $10,000 to a house that costs a little more than $525,000 (a tax hit, by the way, that dwarfs the financial impact most people will experience with the HST).

The tax has become lucrative to governments - it provides more than $800 million a year - but is hurtful to homebuyers, and makes already expensive homes even costlier.

Here's the parallel to the HST: the tax was introduced just after the 1986 election campaign, during which the Socreds never breathed a word of the hit they were about to unleash on homebuyers.

And here's the irony: the premier who brought in the property transfer tax was none other than Bill Vander Zalm, who is leading the Fight HST group.

You can't make this stuff up!

Keith Baldrey is chief political correspondent for Global B.C."

Read more: http://www.burnabynow.com/business/Libs+first+play+with/4950106/story.html#ixzz1PfNlc6iG
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:13:10 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2011, 08:18:41 PM »

In B.C. political history there is another great example of a tax surprise, and it's one that is not just incredibly rich in irony but also parallels the introduction of the HST. Back in 1987, the Social Credit government brought in the property transfer tax, which adds almost $10,000 to a house that costs a little more than $525,000 (a tax hit, by the way, that dwarfs the financial impact most people will experience with the HST).

The tax has become lucrative to governments - it provides more than $800 million a year - but is hurtful to homebuyers, and makes already expensive homes even costlier.

Here's the parallel to the HST: the tax was introduced just after the 1986 election campaign, during which the Socreds never breathed a word of the hit they were about to unleash on homebuyers.

And here's the irony: the premier who brought in the property transfer tax was none other than Bill Vander Zalm, who is leading the Fight HST group.

You can't make this stuff up!

Keith Baldrey is chief political correspondent for Global B.C.

Read more: http://www.burnabynow.com/business/Libs+first+play+with/4950106/story.html#ixzz1PfNlc6iG

You probably should have put quotation marks around that AF.
Not all those who wander are lost

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »

You are correct. I fixed it.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2011, 06:46:30 AM »

And you forgot the part about the liberals extorting seniors and low income families if they don't get what they want! And the outright lies about the "information campaign" not being biased and equally funded for both sides! The job growth has been astronomical, prices are dropping like flies, it's remained revenue neutral,......How much fertilizer do you need?

So we should support LIARS? That continue to lie to us?
Get ALL the facts,not the AF version. ( Not calling you a liar AF, just the skack you support)
 Have a read here- http://www.publiceyeonline.com/archives/006170.html Is that Mr. Falcon's boomerang I here?

So - to simplify this. We've already been told that the advertising won't be partisan. Well guess what - we were lied to one more time. How does this gang of pro HST fools expect me to believe any of the horse manure floating around when the proven liars just keep piling it up like the back of the barn? Do they have a shred of integrity to share amongst them?
Seems like some fair questions AF- Or will you sidestep this?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 02:14:54 PM by Novabonker »
http://

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2011, 06:25:47 PM »

Looks like they didn't publish your comments....   Next time use symbols "&*^ *&(*&@@$%^  #$%# HST!!" instead of all those bad words!  ;D
Still did not post my comment which does not surprise me as that is the way these guys have operated since they first did not tell the truth about this, disappointing.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2011, 07:36:18 AM »

Still did not post my comment which does not surprise me as that is the way these guys have operated since they first did not tell the truth about this, disappointing.

Lie, cheat, deny and silence all who disagree. You notice 'the supporters" disappear when faced with FACTS that expose the lies, just like the rest of the crew.Pathetic.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:58:52 AM by Novabonker »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to wrap my head around this HST since it was first introduced, I was told that it would help me save money with my business, end result is NOPE I am still paying the exact same amount of tax I just don't have to send the PST I collect into the government on a monthly basis, now I have to pay HST on all the supplies I buy and collect HST on all of the supplies I sell and at the end of the year I have to pay 12% on the difference... really it isn't a big deal and in some ways makes my life a little easier..... the BIG problem I have is now they want to drop the HST from 12% down to 10% which is GREAT !!! nope wait a minute, it is only great on the surface !! in order to drop this 2% they want to charge me 2% more on my corporate taxes which means I am going to have to pay an additional 2% tax on any profit my company manages over the year.... so I guess for the average person who works 9-5 this would be great, for myself and others that run small businesses it just makes it that much harder to make ends meet.

It make me sick when I hear the pro HST commercials on the radio, they try to make it sound like a great idea..... they talk about how it will save everyone money but fail to mention how they are going to screw small business owners along the way  >:(

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2011, 10:15:05 AM »

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to wrap my head around this HST since it was first introduced, I was told that it would help me save money with my business, end result is NOPE I am still paying the exact same amount of tax I just don't have to send the PST I collect into the government on a monthly basis, now I have to pay HST on all the supplies I buy and collect HST on all of the supplies I sell and at the end of the year I have to pay 12% on the difference... really it isn't a big deal and in some ways makes my life a little easier..... the BIG problem I have is now they want to drop the HST from 12% down to 10% which is GREAT !!! nope wait a minute, it is only great on the surface !! in order to drop this 2% they want to charge me 2% more on my corporate taxes which means I am going to have to pay an additional 2% tax on any profit my company manages over the year.... so I guess for the average person who works 9-5 this would be great, for myself and others that run small businesses it just makes it that much harder to make ends meet.

It make me sick when I hear the pro HST commercials on the radio, they try to make it sound like a great idea..... they talk about how it will save everyone money but fail to mention how they are going to screw small business owners along the way  >:(

TH

According to a lot of voters in BC the small business owners are screwing the general public by getting the PST eliminated on business expenses and instead of passing those savings on to the consumers, they just add the money to their fat bank accounts!

I'm so confused...   is the ordinary Joe getting screwed or is it the small business owner??

Maybe Novabonker is correct when he continually repeats himself, saying that those lying Liberals are screwing everybody.....    ;D  ;D  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »

According to a lot of voters in BC the small business owners are screwing the general public by getting the PST eliminated on business expenses and instead of passing those savings on to the consumers, they just add the money to their fat bank accounts!

I'm so confused...   is the ordinary Joe getting screwed or is it the small business owner??

Maybe Novabonker is correct when he continually repeats himself, saying that those lying Liberals are screwing everybody.....    ;D  ;D  ;D
http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2011/06/21/HSTAboutDemocracy/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=210611

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2011, 11:08:08 AM »

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2011/06/21/HSTAboutDemocracy/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=210611

"HST Is About Democracy, Not Just Money"

That's an interesting change in tactic....   I guess he's lost the "HST is costing you more" argument so he reverting to you should oppose the HST because you didn't get a say in implementing it.

I wonder why he didn't protest when the Liberal government lowered our personal income tax rates from one of the highest in Canada during the NDP rein to the second lowest income tax rate in Canada today...   I don't remember getting a vote on the Liberals lowering my taxes....

PS: I put in a comment in Bill's blog. Waiting to see if it gets published.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2011, 11:24:33 AM »

That was interesting....

My comments were posted, but 1 minute later they were taken down....  Maybe he disagreed with my comments?   ;D

Edit: Sorry MY mistake, the comments are there but they are not under the "Best" tab, they are under the "All" tab...  :)

gsarahs
14 minutes ago

Suggest as offensive
Recommend as a best comment
Radio ads are also insulting!
The current radio ads being shovelled into our ears seem to be getting even more desperate, "exposing" those on the "Yes" side as spreading lies and distortion. All they do with me is make me even more determined to vote, and "Yes". I find them insulting to our intelligence, not the other way around as is stated in the ads. It will be interesting to find out how many McStupid people actually vote "No".

It was so nice visiting England recently where the sticker price is actually what you pay, and at a restaurant, you pay what it says on the menu, and you don't have to give a tip since the servers actually get a decent wage. Yes, I know that taxes are already included in the price, but why hasn't this been brought up as one potential new way of dealing with sales taxes?

alwaysfishn
1 second ago
Interesting change in tactic....
I guess now that the "HST is costing you more" argument is not valid you've changed your argument to "The HST isn't just about tax policy -- it's about democracy itself".

I wonder why you didn't protest when the Liberal government lowered our personal income tax rates from one of the highest in Canada during the NDP rein to the second lowest income tax rate in Canada today... I don't remember anyone getting a vote on that tax change policy...

Maybe you're suggesting it's undemocratic when you don't agree with the policy, and it's democratic when you agree with the policy???
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:28:00 AM by alwaysfishn »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2011, 05:05:09 PM »

No, just suggesting that we are expected to accept the lies about the ads being non partisan, funding being equal, (5 million to 250 thousand) which they definitely are not.  It's years until the HST hits 10% IF THAT'S NOT ANOTHER LIE. I'm fed up with liars of any political stripe, but abusing your authority and spending MY tax money on an ALLEGED EDUCATION CAMPAIGN that turns into a rah rah sales pitch curdles my 2%.

Do you find a constant stream of outright lies acceptable AF? I don't and I suggest it's time nobody did.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #163 on: June 22, 2011, 07:43:38 AM »

Hello Chris

The BC Liberal “myths” about the HST just keep piling up.

We don't have the budget to fight the lies, we need your help.  Keep the message going by forwarding this link to all the people you know and ask them to do the same.

Following is their latest Top Seven – all new and misleading as ever – HST Myths:

1. The HST is now 10% - False
The HST is 12% and will not be 10% for three years – if ever. There will be an election before that, and even if the HST were to miraculously drop to 10% - it will still apply to hundreds more goods and services than a 12% PST/GST for a consumer tax increase of $1.6B per year.  And who says it won’t go right back up again later?

2. The HST will lower taxes – False
This one is hilarious. The HST increases taxes for British Columbians by $2.8 Billion per year. That’s an average annual increase of $500 per person - or $1208 per average family – forever. Finance Minister Falcon says if his side loses he may disregard the result and expand the PST to items previously exempt – and that’s illegal.  Do you really trust this guy to cut the rate if he wins?

3. The HST will save you money - False
And the tooth fairy is going to leave you a quarter under your pillow too. To get their numbers to show the HST actually “saving” you money they are calculating only “routine purchases” and that 90% of what you pay in HST will be passed back to you in lower prices. Have you seen lower prices?... We didn’t think so.

4. The HST benefits seniors - False
Seniors and people on fixed incomes are some of the hardest hit by the HST. A one time rebate of $175 if you vote in favour of their tax in exchange for paying it for the next 10-30 years of your retirement is a deal only a snake oil salesman would offer. Why take $175 when you can vote to cancel the HST and keep all your money? How dumb do they think we are?

5. The HST benefits families – False
Next to seniors, working families are hardest hit by the HST because they are among the largest consumers and have dependent children. Bribes of $175 per child when your cost is closer to $400 a year each makes you wonder if they think all of us failed math as badly as they did. And what about a single mom with two kids going to college? She gets nothing while the Premier and Finance Minister who earn big six figure salaries get the rebate. Nice.

6. Business will pay more so you can pay less - False
A temporary increase of 2% in corporate taxes will be passed on to consumers with increased prices. Either way you pay the final bill whether it’s in HST or higher prices.

7. We will owe $1.6 Billion if we cancel the HST - False
The “Independent Panel” says the HST generated $850 million more than budgeted. Setting aside that is the biggest tax grab in history, it means government already has $850 million to repay Ottawa. BC has only received $1B, and Ottawa collected $300M more in corporate taxes under the HST than under the PST. So it’s a wash.  And keeping the HST would cost British Columbians alot more than killing it – over $28 Billion in new taxes in just 10 years.
Vote YES to extinguish the HST and save your province, your democracy, and your money!

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2011, 07:58:10 AM »

Got slapped and dismissed over at the Tyee, huh?  ;D ;D ;D-there's some integrity left in the province that isn't for sale. Nobody's buying the HST lies over there either.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:00:06 AM by Novabonker »