Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Presidents Day STEELHEAD!!!!  (Read 3574 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Presidents Day STEELHEAD!!!!
« on: February 19, 2007, 05:47:57 PM »

Well....First, Thank you Tred Barta....I watch his show and he always says, "90% of it, is just getting out there." Today, we were closed for Presidents Day but still took our UPS shipment. It was pouring all morning and by the time I got all the boxes put away it was noon...The border was lined up 2 hours coming back and I had a million other reason not to go....I thought about heading down to Bellingham to the fly shop etc. but I finally kicked myself in the a$$ and got changed and headed out..
Decided there was no way I was going to fight the border and have never used my pin on the Nooksack, so headed up there instead...
Water clarity was really poor on the drive up so I decided to see what it was like down by the hatchery...Feeder creek was quite clear up top and I could see some ghosts in the water..Cool I thought...Too close to the hatchery for my liking so I hiked down river a bit...Saw this tree and pool and thought..."Man, that's got to have something in there"...I started with Roe bags and fished it pretty good, Nothing....Decided to take my friend Gary's advice and switched over to peach wool and an orange Jensen egg....Second cast and float down and fish on...I was totally blown away...seems like forever since I've played a fish again and this little guy was scrappy as hell..got him in and thought about bonking him, but just couldn't...little guy had seal marks on his other side and was too close to home to bonk him now...took a couple quick pics..which was tough with the cigar smoke rising in my eyes.. ;D  and he was still pissed off about being caught...before any of you holier then thoughs say anything...look at my pin, it's underwater and the fish was brought up quick with water covering him and then two quick shots...I unbuttoned him and went to hold him to revive him like a trout and he wanted none of that and shot out of my hand and was gone....
The weather was brutal, just pouring the whole time and cold...but man, I felt like I was on a beach back in San Diego...I was warm, happy and very thankful to Mr. steelie for a great fight, 4 or 5 times across the pool and then in as fast as I could without breaking him off....He's no beauty queen and looks like he fought a hard fight to get there so no way was I going to end that for him...
Nowhere near as big as the one I lost yesterday but every bit as satisfying...The cigar tasted that much better and the rain and wind were forgotten....I fished another hour, moving down to the main river which was about a hundred yards down...saw some beautiful water if clearer, but visibility was pretty poor. Lost my rigging on something, never saw or felt much, just a heavy tug and gone....and that was it for my day, soaking wet, I returned to my truck and headed home to my daughters birthday dinner and cake...
I told her, I let it go for her...(she hates I kill fish)...and that got me a huge hug to boot... ;)

Hole he came out of...

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Presidents Day STEELHEAD!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 06:01:56 PM »

Great Job X, that is an awesome report and a real nice looking little beast! ;D  Feels great doesn't it? ;)  Sounds like you are starting to get the hang of it.  Nice looking peice of water there as well.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 06:04:47 PM »

Nice fish, nice water, hope i can keep my fish on the line next time!
Fish killer 101

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:12:32 PM »

Why do you drive to the vedder so much, when you can catch steel alot closer to home? I can see heading up here a couple times, but as much as you fish, you could stay local?
nice fish.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 06:24:40 PM »

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Bout time ABA !!!!
very happy for you , I wish I could have been there when you got you're first steelie but hey !! after you lost that one yesterday I knew you're first Steel was coming soon.... remember this moment hehe .. at least now Fishfreak catches bigger fish than at least one person  ;D ;D ;D ;D
man I am hungry
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 06:29:53 PM »

Good job buddy!  Glad you got into one at last!  Bet you had a blast on the new pin, eh?  Now, you'll start hitting into them regularly since the monkey's off your back. 

And the cigar always taste better when you've earned it!

Man, I want a cigar and I'm not hungry since I just ate!
President Club S. C. & P.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:47:12 PM »

Why do you drive to the vedder so much, when you can catch steel alot closer to home? I can see heading up here a couple times, but as much as you fish, you could stay local?
nice fish.

Nooksack isn't a consistant producer, it's netted by the natives HARD...as I think this fish shows...the biggest steelhead I've heard out of the Nook this year was 12 pounds, and that's considered big...most are like the one I caught,
One thing you'd all find funny though is it's not overrun either...I was the only guy out there today for at least 5 miles of good water....Most of the time if you see two trucks on a run the size of Allison, that's a crowd and you move on...
Might have to fish it more but then Moe and Larry won't be there and that's for me 99% of the fun of being out..

Man, I'm full and I want another cigar!!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 06:50:27 PM »

Congratulations ! Is that your first ever steelhead ? Funny how a steelhead instantly makes you forget about the rain, the cold and everything else.  :)

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 06:53:27 PM »

Great report, and nice lil steelie!
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 06:54:54 PM »

Nice one, too bad you cant smoke a nice cuban after that(your in the U.S) ;) youll have to settle for a dominican.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 06:55:28 PM »

Congrat to you Xgolfman,nice picture ;)

Eightball

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »

Wow!!!!! I know the spot and that is one that has produced all winter. I thought that the run was over. It has been dead there for three weeks. Rain always brings them up. Great going, you broke the stink.. Congratulations!!! I laid flooring all day at my son's house. I am bumbed out.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 01:11:18 AM »

Nice Fish, Its just too bad so many members on this forum have to pick on the little guys all the time..... ::)
The Bigger The Better!

TheBaiter

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 11:11:01 AM »

congrats nice fish

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 11:32:59 AM »

Bring out the Montecristo #2's ! ! !