Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Chilliwack River clayslide and gravel operation discussion  (Read 15617 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2008 Chilliwack River clayslide and gravel operation discussion
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2008, 06:33:03 PM »

Has anyone recieved a reply back from their letter. I know I have recieved nothing. I guess I better send it again.
It may take a while as the Minister is getting married.

But you do realize that it is the local staff person who actually writes the letter, reviewed by the Ministers political advisor, and then the Minister may sign it (or use a stamp).  Unless all the staff are invited to the wedding it should not take too much longer than ususal.
Well I guess all Mr Penner's staff must be on holidays as the Fraser River Gravel Ad Hoc Committee has not heard back from our request for a meeting with him and his staff a month ago, to deal with the gravel excavation projects on the Fraser. This was in response to his statement he made in the Chilliwack Progress he would meet in Victoria (which was ridiculous as the Minister and the Ad Hoc Committee live in the Lower Mainland) We asked him to give us 3 dates he could meet with us.

Of course with a Provincial election just around the corner it does not surprise one as they are in damage control as there is no engineering proof that I know of this gravel excavation does anything to prevent a flood. As I have said many times it is just a gravel grab and to make money for those with the contracts. We even pay with our tax dollars to have money spent to build access to projects like Spring Bar this year.

Then those making the money to my knowledge seldom if ever put any funds back into mitigation projects to help the fish and the habitat they are damaging.

This does not surprise me as they are more interesting in making as much money as they can and covering up prime farmland with it here in Chilliwack so they can develop it and make more money

The question is, will this assault on our fish stocks and riparian zone ever end before it is too late?

I have been in contact recently with our MP Chuck Strahl and he is interested in the results of our petition letter to the Federal Auditor General and that may be our saviour to all of this, in the way it has been handled by some agencies and politicans.

Off for an evening fish on the Vedder and I am hopeful I donot fall in one of the newly dug pits, heh thats an idea and one then could then sue them for not marking these dangers properly, I am sure the fish would like that as we would end this insult to this precious resource, our Salmon, trout and sturgeon as well not forgetting all aquatic life that call these waters home.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 07:35:53 PM by chris gadsden »

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »

hey Chris, how was the water today?
Fish on!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »

Water was in good shape today, but tomorrow is another story.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2008, 08:26:35 PM »

thanks for the quick response.
Fish on!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2008, 08:47:36 PM »

I did not make it out as I got tied up with e-mails, raining very hard right now.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2008, 12:56:49 AM »

Posting these for Chris.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2008, 08:50:54 AM »

I had an idea for the gravel, if they insist it is for flood removal only, why not convince them to wash it, and dump it into the Capilano and seymour watersheds, to build some spawning habitat on those systems?

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin