Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seymour River fishing spot?  (Read 34963 times)

Hooks_of_Fury

Re: Seymour River fishing sport?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »

Does anybody know if there is actual spawning gravel on the seymour river or has it all been washed out? Thats one thing i laugh about when i here people the talking about the Capilano river and leting the runs to recover because it has very little gravel and the run will never ever recover by leaving the fish to spawn. Its a hatchery fishery. But the seymour having no dam and an upper water shed containing clean golf ball sized gravel has a chance right? there is no dam right?  ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 08:42:29 AM »

But the seymour having no dam and an upper water shed containing clean golf ball sized gravel has a chance right? there is no dam right?  ???

No.

jimmywits

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 05:54:06 PM »

Does anybody know if there is actual spawning gravel on the seymour river or has it all been washed out? Thats one thing i laugh about when i here people the talking about the Capilano river and leting the runs to recover because it has very little gravel and the run will never ever recover by leaving the fish to spawn. Its a hatchery fishery. But the seymour having no dam and an upper water shed containing clean golf ball sized gravel has a chance right? there is no dam right?  ???
The Seymour river has a dam, that's why you need a hatchery on it!

Capilano Mano

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »

The Capilano has lots of spawning gravel. It is just in the UPPER Capilano. That's why all of the wild fish are transported to the upper river. Prime Spawning gravel  up there :D

Piranha

Re: Seymour River fishing spot?
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 08:12:58 AM »

There were talks of building a fish ladder at the capilano river. What happened to that project?

Piranha

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 08:21:17 AM »

Why can't the build a fish ladder that goes to the upper portion of the river where the fish want to go ??? you always see them trying to jump up the dam and hit the concrete wall head first.

adamr

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 08:37:42 AM »

Is the Seymour river connected to the Indian river? I have heard that the Indian river (at the end of Indian arm) which can be accessed by  logging roads from Squamish is an excellent place to fish. Has anyone ever been there?

jimmywits

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »

Is the Seymour river connected to the Indian river? I have heard that the Indian river (at the end of Indian arm) which can be accessed by  logging roads from Squamish is an excellent place to fish. Has anyone ever been there?
No they are not connected. Some years ago a buddy and I drove from just behind the stawamus chief right through to the salt water at the end of Indian arm. And yes there was and most likely still is excellent fishing all through there, however I heard the road had a washout, which I don't think has ever been fixed. I suspect an ATV or dirt bikes would get through.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 11:08:10 AM »

Locked gate to get into the Indian river. And yes the road is washed out as well. Motorbike access from what i hear.
always a student

apollo

seymour river
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 12:33:40 PM »

I was just wondering, you always here about fishing for pinks at the mouth of the seymour. My question is, do these pinks actually enter the river to spawn? And if so can you not target them (and how would you target them) once they are in the river system? Finally, if the pinks do spawn in the river would that mean that there would be a fair amount of trout moving in to feed on the eggs?

chesapeakebay

Re: seymour river
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »

Yes they do spawn in the Seymour , but this time of year the flow is low and they will sit at the mouth or just under the railway bridge . And when it comes to trout , someone else will have to answer that one . :)
Fishing or metal detecting its always nice to get silver

jimmywits

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 02:32:34 PM »

Locked gate to get into the Indian river. And yes the road is washed out as well. Motorbike access from what i hear.
Thanks Dereke, I suspected that would be the case, another case of disappearing access to our fishing locations. Norton Lake, in there, used to have huge trout in it and the river has always been good.
I could name off over half a dozen Lakes in the Garibaldi/Squamish region that have had access blocked off in the last ten years. I have tried to garner sportsman's concerns over this to no avail. I wrote what I thought was a good letter to B.C.Outdoors about this situation and got no response whatsoever. I brought the matter up with the Go fish B.C. Reps at the Abbottsford outdoor show this spring and they didn't seem to want to acknowledge a need for action either! It's funny that the same group of people who are desperately trying to entice people into the sport and retain the people they have already, don't see that allowing this reduction of accessible fishing spots to continue, is not in their best interest!

jimmywits

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 02:41:51 PM »

I was just wondering, you always here about fishing for pinks at the mouth of the seymour. My question is, do these pinks actually enter the river to spawn? And if so can you not target them (and how would you target them) once they are in the river system? Finally, if the pinks do spawn in the river would that mean that there would be a fair amount of trout moving in to feed on the eggs?
That is certainly the case in many other streams and rivers, I am presently looking into that regarding the Seymour. Will get back.    tight lines.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 03:59:17 PM »

No pink retention in the Seymour.

apollo

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »

I only practice catch and release ( except for sockeye and springs ).