Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho flies???  (Read 9871 times)

mikeH

Coho flies???
« on: August 28, 2009, 03:24:38 PM »

Im a avid flychucker this will be my first yr fishing for Coho was wondering what are good flies to use?

funpig

Re: Coho flies???
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 01:40:07 PM »

I don't tie my own flies.  I just buy them at Berry's.  There's a blue and green one and an orange and yellow one in #8 or #6 that have worked for me.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »

the 2 flies you just described are the Coho Blue (blue/green/white) and the Mickey Finn (red/orange/yellow) they are both quite effective flies for coho. Christmas trees are also good flies along with Muddlers. that will be enough flies to get you into fish for sure. there is variations of all of these flies that can be better at times so dont be shy to play around. remember its your hook to create on  ;)

do not make the flies big or heavy with material is a good tip as well. I dont use a hook bigger then a size 6 for my coho flies.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:15:37 PM »

Kelsey's Hope has the same Blue Green colour scheme. Other good patterns are an olive wooly bugger with either a bead head or a cone. I think gold is the best colour for the bead, the rolled muddler , both the standard version and a variety of colour variations. Stay small for coho #8 & #10s in a 2xl to 4xl shank length. Later in the season pale pink glo-bugs work very well.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mikeH

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:58:23 PM »

thx for the replies guys appreciated. :)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 10:15:57 PM »

All the above are good with one exception make it a Rolled Muddler instead of a Muddler Minnow. Common mistake with a significant difference.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Banny

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:28:27 AM »

Olive crystal bugger is the first fly I tie on every time but there are a few others

K.C.K in yellow, or blue
Olive or blue rolled muddler
Chartreuse California Neil
Christmas trees in various color combination containing blue silver gold and green

J

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 06:00:31 PM »

My go to fly for coho is a blue muddler. Its pretty much all I use when specifically targeting coho. Its also my confidence fly so I tend to fish it right.

My backups are:
Xmas Trees
Green sparkle wooly bugger ( also a good chum fly )

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Banny

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »

Bobo, do you like a silver or blue tinsel body on your blue muddlers?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 08:00:50 PM »

Bobo, do you like a silver or blue tinsel body on your blue muddlers?

Silver. It kind of reflects in the water this way.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »

i myself really like using gold tinsel on darker muddlers (olives, blues, blacks) but i also tie some with silver of course because that little colour change can make all the difference. Oh and i also make the bead the same colour as the body however using coloured silver lined beads can also be killer  ;D
Check out our new blog

Banny

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »

I like silver body/bead for the blue muddlers, but all i caught on them last year were jacks, could not buy an adult on them for some reason

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 07:30:29 PM »

You'll need your choosen patterns whatever they are tied in weighted ( bead headed) and unweighted (no bead ) versions. This will give you versatility in presentation for what ever water condition and water type the coho are found in. Varying the retrieve will get you strikes and as for as a go to fly,it will be the one you have the most confidence in that has consistently produced for you.
It ain't the roe bro'

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »

i tie all my river flies with beads or lead wraps. If im hitting bottom to much then i just change to a slower sinking tip  ;) saves me time rather then having tons & tons of flies in the box, this way i can have more pattern variety as oppose to sheer numbers of a few.
Check out our new blog

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 11:57:57 PM »

i tie all my river flies with beads or lead wraps. If im hitting bottom to much then i just change to a slower sinking tip  ;) saves me time rather then having tons & tons of flies in the box, this way i can have more pattern variety as oppose to sheer numbers of a few.

Do you prefer to have a heavier fly and slower sink tip causing the fly to be lower in the water than the line? Or is it better the other way around, having the line drag the fly down and the fly float up a bit like float fishing wool?