Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing the Vancouver Saltwater - need tips!  (Read 6025 times)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Fishing the Vancouver Saltwater - need tips!
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:11:12 AM »

Hey everyone,

One of my clients and I have recently discovered a mutual love for fishing. He also has a boat, and we spent Saturday evening on the water in search of Chinook with one of his friends.  Outside of what might've been one solid hit, we pulled up a big zilch.

Although he's a proficient angler, and I've certainly spent my fair share of time on the water, fishing the Vancouver chuck is different than either of us are used to (he's only really familiar to the Winter Harbour area, and I've only spent real time power-mooching cutplugs in the Charlottes).

I know this is a totally different ballgame. Can anyone provide me with a crash course or suggest some tips/hints/tricks for hooking up in the Vancouver saltwater? Perhaps how to rig your lines, where to concentrate, how deep, etc. I realize this can and does change from hour to hour, day to day, but some general ideas would be awesome.

We're currently fishing with:
- 18' welded aluminum boat (very fishy-feeling boat)
- 2 downriggers (although he's never learned how to stack the riggers and I've rarely even used them)
- dummy flasher attached off the downrigger, about 5 feet behind the riggerball
- 4 rods - 1 on each downrigger, attached about 5 feet above the dummy flasher, 2 weighted rods behind the boat
- anchovies on the two rigger rods, in teaser heads, about 5 feet behind the dummy flasher (ie. 10-12 feet behind the rigger cable)
- spoons on the two weighted rods, shallow

Thanks very much in advance - feel free to PM or email me if you'd like.
:)
Tex
spencer_rolls@hotmail.com

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing the Vancouver Saltwater - need tips!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 11:27:38 AM »

- 18' welded aluminum boat (very fishy-feeling boat)
Perfect

- 2 downriggers (although he's never learned how to stack the riggers and I've rarely even used them)
No better to way to fish concentrate on 30-70 feet deep.

- dummy flasher attached off the downrigger, about 5 feet behind the riggerball
Put the dummy just above the cannonball don't know why works better for us.

- 4 rods - 1 on each downrigger, attached about 5 feet above the dummy flasher, 2 weighted rods behind the boat
Lose the flat lines no need if you don't want to stack then don't but you're complicating things too much.

- anchovies on the two rigger rods, in teaser heads, about 5 feet behind the dummy flasher (ie. 10-12 feet behind the rigger cable)
Anchovy is what you want run them at least 20 feet back from the cable.

- spoons on the two weighted rods, shallow
Very low percentage setup as mentioned don't bother.

This is standard advice for both sides of the Harbour all the way around to the T10 marker-flood tide being best but the bite comes and goes as you well know can't catch fish if you're sitting on shore waiting for perfect conditions.

Shortly people will be fishing off Ambleside for Big White Springs-with bait right on the bottom. ;)

blueline

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 10:59:44 AM »

I am interested in trying this type of fishing too - I have never tried it, but I would ike to try fishing in the chuck

for the the dummy flasher - is it attached with 5' of line to the cannonball
so it is at the same depth, but 5 'behind the ball
or
is it attached directly to the ball -in which case does it does not seem like it will roll

for the hook
how far above the canonball is the click attached to the cannonball cable
like 5' or 3' or maybe 10'?
for lures or Hoochies - it looks like there should be 20' from the clip on the cannonball cable
does it need a flasher too? or can there only be the flasher attached to the cannonball cable

fishing at ampleside on the bottom - is that different or is that mean the cannon ball is near the bottom
or sort of bouncing off the bootom?

thanks for the insights

troutmuncher

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:40:03 AM »

:o On August 28 we were towed out for an hour by something as big as a ton out by the Q-a bouy near ubc.It was attached to what looked like a crab trap float racing across the water.We pulled 100ft of line ,it was too strong,it wouldnt surface,we couldnt hardly tow it at full power with a 70hp moter!!!we called the coast guard,this really happened folks its not a joke,Im still shaking in my boots oh my!!!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:57:11 AM by troutmuncher »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »

Jaws  ;D

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 08:15:10 PM »

fishing at ambleside on the bottom - is that different or is that mean the cannon ball is near the bottom
or sort of bouncing off the bottom?

It means watching the sounder and trying not to lose your cannonball by dragging it too much.

On August 28 we were towed out for an hour by something as big as a ton out by the Q-a bouy near ubc.It was attached to what looked like a crab trap float racing across the water.We pulled 100ft of line ,it was too strong,it wouldnt surface,we couldnt hardly tow it at full power with a 70hp moter!!!we called the coast guard,this really happened folks its not a joke,Im still shaking in my boots oh my!!!

Shark of some kind.

Jaws

Closer than you know-Gone Fishin' in Port Alberni used to have  pics of a Great White on display it was netted off the mouth of the Fraser back in the 70s.   

DFO netted a Great White in the late 80's sometimes off Hornby.

troutmuncher

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 03:13:01 AM »

:o The fisheries department zodiac came 10 min after we had to cut the rope because we didnt think they were going to come and help save us from this extream difficulty with this unknown creature that refused to surface towing us for more than an hour.We were trying to surface it so we could save its life,but it was getting dangerous because the back of the boat was starting to take up water,when we gunned the motor barley moving it at 2k.It was pulling us twice as fast without the motor on the 16 ft cruiser out to open sea.We gave them this white enlongated float with red polkadots to the zodiac crew trying to explain what happened.They thought it was exteamely odd occurance to happen.But if it was a great white shark !!!GULP! my arm was pulling in about 100ft of the floats line with me brother ,it could have eat me and him or lose an arm!!Could that shark have got entangled in a crab trap trying to eat its bait?My brother thinks its a whale ,but why wouldnt it surface to breath air if it was struggling with us?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:39:57 AM by troutmuncher »

blueline

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 05:01:46 PM »

was out to the Point grey bell marker yesterday
seems like a lot of boats out there
saw maybe a dozen fish caught and netted - so things were happeneing
had some bites and but could only land 2 shakers

were using anchovies - so that seems to be the bait of choice
the hook up was as descibed

Richmond

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 05:19:24 PM »

i would add a trailing hook, I always tie with a 2/0 just past the tail.

troutmuncher

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 01:07:56 AM »

I am convinced that it must have been a six gilled shark, can go up to 18ft long.Yes we were fishing with pale white and purple hoochy and anchovy for salmon,near the big red buoy just past the ubc point.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:10:38 AM by troutmuncher »

blueline

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 09:09:59 AM »

for an anchovies hookup
I bought a setup - and it has a treble hook - I thought the rules were single barbless hook -
so is a treble hook considered a single hook? if not what are they being sold?

confused again

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 12:42:57 PM »

Treble is OK for Salmon as long as the barb is crimped you're legal no worries.

Herrie

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 01:28:20 PM »

I alwasy thought a single barbless hook is the regulation, but they actually don't specifiy that. They only specify that it needs to be a barbless hook.

gman

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 08:05:14 AM »

freshwater salmon - single barbless
saltwater salmon - barbless, either single or treble ok

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 08:17:05 AM »

That is only around the Vancouver salt is it not (treble hooks)? I think it change from one area to another so check you reg's!
always a student