Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pike minnnow dough  (Read 2401 times)

Spyrogenes

Pike minnnow dough
« on: May 29, 2011, 06:07:01 PM »

Hi sir rodney

Im kinda a newbie in fishing here in Canada.. During the month of March I've been fishing herrings in the pier near steveston. But from the month of april-may the herrings are'nt biting. So I've done some research and bumped to this site. According to the information given, the fish thats in season this month are pikeminnow and peamouth. I've tried fishing at No.2 pier and No.3 (I always snag within the bottom rocks)   >:(  >:(  pier for pikeminnows,white fish and  peamouth. Sadly no bites.  :-\ Tried spoons, spinners and a modified rig found in this site

http://www.pikeminnow.org/tips.html#color

I also tried float rigs with
Dough bait
Earthworm
Dough with cat food (I work at a vet clinic)  ;D

ALL FAILED  >:( >:(  >:(

What specific bait/rig/lure i can use during high tide and lowtide?
Specific location for fishing pikeminnow?
Dough recipes
 ???  ??? ??? ???  ???

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Pike minnnow dough
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »

I use shrimp paste, flour, and vanilla to make dough.  Works well   :)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Pike minnnow dough
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 10:38:42 PM »

spend some dough on some expensive salmon roe. always nails pikey
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

distanc3

Re: Pike minnnow dough
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »

is it still too early for pikes and chubs?

Sam6140

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:58:37 PM »

I personally noticed that Pike Minnows are everywhere, and are easier to catch in the summer.  In the spring, I don't even see them at all in some lakes and then about mid June - Mid Sept, they're abundant.

Sam6140

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:02:34 PM »

They go crazy for plain WHITE BREAD.  But make sure it's really fresh bread. That way it molds onto the hook easier, and stays on better.   Squish in around the hook in a small ball, and it works wonders.   Go to Buntzen Lake in the Summer and you can watch them off the dock.  You'll have dozens of them around your bait within seconds.

crab

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 09:29:51 PM »

I've caught them using dough flavored with peanut butter or curry powder, and other scents such as fish sauce, garlic powder etc. would probably work as well. What I do is to knead up the dough to make it rather tough(like pasta-dough consistency) and stick it tightly onto the hook so that it doesn't fall off easily in the current. If you're float fishing, use a really thin float with the hook 1m or so below it so that the bait sits near the bottom. The pikeminnows like to stay in the shallows, so try fishing just few meters from shore. As Rodney says it's best to fish between 2 hrs before and after high tide, since I always get many more bites during that time, but they kinda dissapear after the tide goes too far out.  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:01:48 PM by crab »