Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should tackle shops discourage sales of bottom bouncing gear now  (Read 21602 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Should tackle shops discourage sales of bottom bouncing gear now
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 02:25:30 PM »

No,  it's funny that the rec fishers trash one another while the real threat is completely ignored... I almost think DFO likes this situation as it takes pressure away from the commies and makes for a easy reason to shut the river down for FN.  I see less complaints about the FN like they did before but now target the bouncers... Just my observations and I don't spend much time out there..
It sounds like you missed the point. Some people "legitimately" use a technique called bottom bouncing to target Chinook or Steelhead in deep, fast pools. It uses a short leader.
These people get upset when people talk about banning bottom bouncing.
My point is that to eliminate flossing we would possibly need to make this fishing style illegal as well.

Since you seem to support flossing this discussion is not for you. The flossing discussion has nothing to do with natives or commies.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 02:26:37 PM »

Follow your logic we should close all stores that sell alcohol. Because some people drink and drive,
If everyone that bought alcohol was drinking and driving, then you absolutely should close all stores that sell alcohol.
Or at least develop a restrictive method that prevents illegal use of alcohol.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »

Follow your logic we should close all stores that sell alcohol. Because some people drink and drive,

--Actually I think that is a good analogy...
--Where we sell alcohol there are signs about not drinking and driving... also advertising about safe use.. etc.
--I have to agree with fishtruck after he explainded his idea of education vs banning.

Apennock

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »

Follow your logic tackle shops should refuse sale to anyone they believe is going to bottom bounce

Zackattack

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 04:01:25 PM »

I still think the whole debate is still so subjective..
For me harvesting sockeye when its open is great fun, while also being outside at the same time and providing a delicious meal.
So for me I think removing BBing gear when socks aren't open is a good idea.
But for others they would say ban it entirely, which is their opinion. Others would say tackle shops can sell whatever they like, when they like as long as they're not breaking any rules. We all are allowed to our own thoughts and opinions.
However, it is great to see that Sea-Run is voicing their opinion and not selling BB gear.
This debate will never end until it is banned entirely...

Outdoorsman

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »

I'm going to give a +1 to Sea-Run on their opinion of selling the gear. For many reasons, including this one, they are my go to store.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 04:49:33 PM »

Talk about hyperbole.

If the amount of people drank to much due to alcohol was equal to the percentage of BBers to ethical fishermen during salmon season, they'd start prohibition again.

fishtruck

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »

To put my money where my mouth is, will give sea-run my business from now on

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »

Sea-Run isn't the only store that has pulled bouncing betties off of there shelves. I was fishing with employees from High Water and Pacific Angler and both had said they had pulled them.

norton

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 07:11:06 PM »

X2, Was out lower Fraser Saturday and Sunday. Saw 7 people casting spoons and 20+ nets. From time to time people had to stop casting because nets were so close to shore.
.    Say no to net fishing!

doja

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 08:08:48 PM »

It sounds like you missed the point. Some people "legitimately" use a technique called bottom bouncing to target Chinook or Steelhead in deep, fast pools. It uses a short leader.
These people get upset when people talk about banning bottom bouncing.
My point is that to eliminate flossing we would possibly need to make this fishing style illegal as well.

Since you seem to support flossing this discussion is not for you. The flossing discussion has nothing to do with natives or commies.

No I would not give up bottom bouncing.  I BB all time...  Spinners mostly... Lol and rarely the Fraser.

I have little issue with Flossing the Fraser... If the natives can net,  the commies can net,  why can Joe blow use a method  that saves time and is more effective? Everyone else can....  If there were no commies/fn there would be more fish = better fishing but they have run the stocks down to the point we have little opportunity

Long ago I met some guys snagging (real snagging) on the river.  One of their friends asked why they didn't do this on the vedder.  The snaggers response was you didn't need to.... If people didn't need to floss they probably wouldn't...  The question is why do they feel they need to...  Fix that problem or continue chasing the rabbit..

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 08:20:25 PM »

Wow. Doja, I'm a little sad to see a grown person still act like a child.

Your "If they can do it, so should I." attitude is extremely like my 2 year old son. I think your entitlement has blinded you.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »

I have to agree with Flytech.  Where does this "entitlement" come from?  I've seen it many times on so many posts on this forum and others.  I completely understand that recreational "flossing" would have far less impact on the fish compared to the commercial or native nets.  But to use "non-selective" methods on the Fraser, though not currently illegal, is certainly unethical in my book - considering that DFO has specifically requested people not to engage in such methods.  As for using a "method that saves time and is more effective" - go to the local grocery store and buy your pinks for goodness sakes.  They're going cheap!  And you don't have to line up at first light to get your spot.   ;D  I for one don't fish so I can catch the most fish in the least amount of time.  I go for the enjoyment and learning experience.  Catching fish is the icing on the cake.

doja

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 08:47:21 PM »

Wow. Doja, I'm a little sad to see a grown person still act like a child.

Your "If they can do it, so should I." attitude is extremely like my 2 year old son. I think your entitlement has blinded you.

Lol,  you just showed who the child is....  Nice pic of your dad as a avatar lol.

Where did I say I belive this moto (I even used the word they,  lol) ...  Man you guys sure demonstrate  a low IQ.... I'm mearly quoting what people flossing have said and trying to understand their point of veiw... As said I don't fish the Fraser much if at all...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:52:20 PM by doja »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 08:56:41 PM »

Talk about hyperbole.

If the amount of people drank to much due to alcohol was equal to the percentage of BBers to ethical fishermen during salmon season, they'd start prohibition again.

Hahahaha - love it when someone condemns one line as hyperbole and then delivers a zinger themselves! ;D

Equating the social ills from alcohol abuse to flossing just takes the cake man.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:02:58 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.