Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should tackle shops discourage sales of bottom bouncing gear now  (Read 21602 times)

fishtruck

Should tackle shops discourage sales of bottom bouncing gear now
« on: September 08, 2015, 07:38:47 AM »

Was at A&N yesterday, saw someone with a handful of bouncing betties. Went to ask sales clerk who was looking after that transaction whether they try to discourage the sale of obvious bottom  bouncing gear because of DFO concerns. Answer( rather rudely) that if there wasn't a restriction and until there was a restriction they would keep selling any and all types of gear for any method of fishing. My question is , ethically speaking, should these stores try to discourage selling bottom bouncing gear? or am I barking up the wrong tree here

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: Should tackle shops discourage sales of bottom bouncing gear now
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 07:47:41 AM »

Was at A&N yesterday, saw someone with a handful of bouncing betties. Went to ask sales clerk who was looking after that transaction whether they try to discourage the sale of obvious bottom  bouncing gear because of DFO concerns. Answer( rather rudely) that if there wasn't a restriction and until there was a restriction they would keep selling any and all types of gear for any method of fishing. My question is , ethically speaking, should these stores try to discourage selling bottom bouncing gear? or am I barking up the wrong tree here

I think you should go to every tackle store and bark at them too if you have time !!!!!!!

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 08:02:18 AM »

Not everyone who buys Betties uses them for flossing. They definitely serve a purpose in my boat and a few other people's boats as well! Don't paint everyone with the same brush.You are indeed barking up the wrong tree!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 08:07:18 AM »

How about a federally funded bouncing betty registry?

fishtruck

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 08:35:20 AM »

Sorry if I offended anyone. Should have been more clear on my original post. Should have been" should they politely inquire as to whether the client was planning on using it to bottom bounce in the Fraser at this time" ??( Would that have been too nosy)

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 08:43:10 AM »

Sorry if I offended anyone. Should have been more clear on my original post. Should have been" should they politely inquire as to whether the client was planning on using it to bottom bounce in the Fraser at this time" ??( Would that have been too nosy)

It is not the retail stores' responsibility to question the consumer.  It is the angler who should read and understand the regulation before heading out.

SirCastsAlot

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »

Sea-Run in Coquitlam stopped selling them. I was in there picking up some jigs and overhead someone asking for them. They told them due to current selective fishing methods on the fraser, they were not selling them.. +1 Sea-Run

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 09:06:23 AM »

--I use the Betty's for drop shot fishing in still waters.
--Also on a T turn swivel for trolling.. again in still waters.

--I don't think it would hurt the store to put a note near them about current regulation enforcement. Doesn't hurt to give out useful information.
--Could lead into sales of alternative gear for those who are not sure.

--It is not going to stop anyone that know's better

--Ethically speaking if PETA had their way there would be no sale of any fishing gear

Apennock

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 09:06:29 AM »

I think we have to respect a tackle shop as a business that has to look out for their own well-being and profits.  However, I also think that all fishermen should be encourage proper practices and therefore the clerks themselves, who I have to assume are also sport fishermen, should do their part as a member of our community and as you said "politely inquire" about products like that in order to discourage their misuse.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 11:41:21 AM »

Good on Sea-Run. I was not aware that they stopped selling flossing tools.
To everyone else who wants to buy them for other purposes or who thinks that bottom bouncing (not flossing) is a perfectly viable method - sometimes you have to accept a limitation on your freedoms for the greater good. If it stops flossing would you give up bottom bouncing?

doja

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 12:06:58 PM »

If it stops flossing would you give up bottom bouncing?

No,  it's funny that the rec fishers trash one another while the real threat is completely ignored... I almost think DFO likes this situation as it takes pressure away from the commies and makes for a easy reason to shut the river down for FN.  I see less complaints about the FN like they did before but now target the bouncers... Just my observations and I don't spend much time out there..

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 12:25:47 PM »

Make using lead weights illegal in the Fraser.   They are illegal in Canadian National Parks already.

Tungston only.  High price might chase many of these neanderthals away.

lapa

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 12:37:06 PM »

Follow your logic we should close all stores that sell alcohol. Because some people drink and drive,

lapa

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 12:48:22 PM »

No,  it's funny that the rec fishers trash one another while the real threat is completely ignored... I almost think DFO likes this situation as it takes pressure away from the commies and makes for a easy reason to shut the river down for FN.  I see less complaints about the FN like they did before but now target the bouncers... Just my observations and I don't spend much time out there..

X2, Was out lower Fraser Saturday and Sunday. Saw 7 people casting spoons and 20+ nets. From time to time people had to stop casting because nets were so close to shore.

fishtruck

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 01:48:11 PM »

Follow your logic we should close all stores that sell alcohol. Because some people drink and drive,
I said "Discourage" twice, never did I say close it down. The idea was maybe the stores might be willing to educate and inform, not play cops. There will always be those that will do whatever they want, but if we say it in an informative manner, hopefully some will make the right decisions with their new found knowledge