Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson River trout fishing  (Read 7243 times)

300zxfairlady

Thompson River trout fishing
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:23:49 AM »

Hello all, Me and a friend are planning on going on a 2 day trip up to Thompson river to do some trout fishing.
Does anyone know the condition of the river for fly fishing or gear?
 I do not know too much about this area.. However if it is unfishable are there any other lakes in that area that have easy access?

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Thompson River trout fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »

Hello all, Me and a friend are planning on going on a 2 day trip up to Thompson river to do some trout fishing.
Does anyone know the condition of the river for fly fishing or gear?
 I do not know too much about this area.. However if it is unfishable are there any other lakes in that area that have easy access?

When are you going?  It is likely in full freshet now, so not likely to be pleasant, although it appears to have dropped slightly over the few days at Spenses Bridge.  Also where specifically are you heading? (Thompson is a long river with a few forks.)  You may get more helpful responses.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:31:55 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:33:08 PM »

Buddy of mine went there a few years back in July with his jetboat. River was a bit high but fishable. Weather was scorching hot but he got into 50+ fish a day on dry flies, mostly caddis and parachute style mayflies. When the top water died down nymphs were the ticket.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »

I believe my first trip last year was the end of June and was able to hook about a dozen on a dry in a morning. Probably could have done better if I had the knowledge of how to fly fish that river at that time. I really started to understand dry fly fishing on the Thompson as the summer came to a close. In August there really were some spectacular days. Just thinking about that summer feel along the Thompson and the smell of dry bush as you watch massive bows come to the surface to take your dry. Will never forget the image of the first big bow that I made rise to my fly. Just thinking about it puts me in a peaceful mood. That river truly is special.

Speyhead

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »

I did quite well on the T last Sept using golden stoneflies and California blondes....Warning....don't take your pet along with you,   I noticed cactus carpetting everywhere ......would be absolutely brutal on their paws.

ByteMe

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »

I did quite well on the T last Sept using golden stoneflies and California blondes....Warning....don't take your pet along with you,   I noticed cactus carpetting everywhere ......would be absolutely brutal on their paws.
plus rattlesnakes...........watch where u step
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

gilbey

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:31:34 PM »

plus rattlesnakes...........watch where u step
As well the wood tick's can be bad, they love the tall bunch grass along the river so check for these nasty little critters on your clothes and scalp....Lymes disease would not be fun to get!

ByteMe

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 08:15:52 AM »

As well the wood tick's can be bad, they love the tall bunch grass along the river so check for these nasty little critters on your clothes and scalp....Lymes disease would not be fun to get!
Oh Yeah!!!.............forgot about them,a buddy system is good insurance when fishing the Thompson,too many variables on that river,but the rewards can be one for the books
                                         Lefty Kreh

jpar247

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 11:04:04 PM »

Take some type of fishing boots, aluminum bars would be best if you're walking it. The rocks are burtal

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »

Rattle snakes, wood ticks, deadly cactus, slipper rocks, sunburn, sounds like the deadliest place on earth. Best to stay away from it. ;D

Speyhead

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 08:45:26 PM »

Rattle snakes, wood ticks, deadly cactus, slipper rocks, sunburn, sounds like the deadliest place on earth. Best to stay away from it. ;D

Would we lie about it ? ;)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »

Don't forget the scorpions and black widdows.

ByteMe

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 07:50:10 AM »

Yes..........definately stay away from it ;)
                                         Lefty Kreh

fishgutz63

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 02:04:18 PM »

dont forget the wives and girlfrends nagging n whinning about doin stuff around the house rather than goin fishing ;D

bsmcrosseyed

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 07:04:41 PM »

There are a lot of good places to fish there. I grew up around that area. If the river has freshet, forget it! Also put on industrial strength sunblock! The sun reflects a lot off the light coloured banks.