Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter Olympics and steelhead fishing!  (Read 5941 times)

Tally Ho

Winter Olympics and steelhead fishing!
« on: November 14, 2009, 10:46:40 PM »

Greetings fellow fisherman,

Don’t worry, I am NOT from another continent in need of speaking with you about a large sum of money.  I am, however, hoping to speak with some of you local BC fisherman about some steelhead fishing during the month of February.  I am in the US Air Force and will be stationed in the Richmond/Vancouver area during the Olympics helping the Canadian Air Force with Olympic stuff.

I will be bringing my salmon/steelhead fishing gear with me in the car and am hoping to learn from you fellas about your notorious winter steelhead fishing and where it can be locally done (as well as how).

I have used the forum search feature and found some info, but nothing beats gaining knowledge from personal contact or even fishing with someone once to get started.

Again, I’ll be in the area during February and I hope there are some nice fishable rivers then.  I know it’s a bit early yet, but planning ahead is a good thing.   

Hope to hear from some of you fellas to gain some knowhow and maybe have a few fishing outings.  I’ll buy the coffee!

Thanks in advance.

Oh - additional info: I am currently from Washington state and own all my own salmon gear, waders, rods, hardware, etc. I hold my own in local river salmon fishing, in tying my own leaders, and cureing my own roe. However, I am a ROOKIE when it comes to steelhead.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 11:44:21 PM by Tally Ho »

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Winter Olympics and steelhead fishing!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:53:52 PM »

the Vedder river will be full of Steel at that time. They can be tough to catch so either hire a guide for a few hours to get you started or try to get together with someone that can show you where they like to hide.

just be ready for alot and i mean alot of walking/wading/casting becase part of steelheading is to keep moving  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 12:17:23 AM »

Do you fly fish or gear fish?

Either way, drop me a line when it gets closer and I'll take you out and show you around some of my stomping grounds.

In exchange, I expect you to take me for a ride in one of these:

Just kidding, I don't like flying! ;)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 04:59:29 AM »

Definitely take Milo up on his offer...  not only is he an excellent fisherman, but he's also a heck of a nice guy!
He helped me get MY first Vedder steelhead on 4 or so years ago, and I was like you - WELL acquainted with fishing, but only one steelhead in my life, and that was way up north.

I might even join you guys - always great to meet someone who is serving his or her country!
:D
Tex

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 07:46:48 AM »

Can i come with?This will be my first steelhead season since i arrived here in Dec of 2005 i jus got a new rod for the steel.I caught many steelhead back in cali in the feather and american rivers but im going to be lost this winter.Or if anybody else would be willing to help it would be greatly appreciated.
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 09:47:09 AM »

I guess i got to pay a guide to show me whats up.Anybody have any steelhead guides numbers?
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 10:39:37 AM »

I guess i got to pay a guide to show me whats up.

No, you don't.
I'll take you out with Tally Ho in February.
No expectations, no reciprocation.

Just pay it forward.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »

Good on ya Milo.  However to new members like Cali, feel free to look up on previous threads, steel head riggings, water to look for, etc.  Then do some exploratory visits to the river either in December or January. Get a feel for the type of fishing you want to use to catch a steelhead, and you will  be that much farther ahead come February.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »

A paid guide you do not need, but going with someone who has some experience or taking a introductory steelhead fishing course are good ideas. There will be courses offered in the upcoming months. STS Guiding, Berry's Bait, Pacific Angler, Fred's Custom Tackle are just some of the shops and guides that will be offering them.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 12:08:04 PM »

Do you fly fish or gear fish?

Either way, drop me a line when it gets closer and I'll take you out and show you around some of my stomping grounds.

In exchange, I expect you to take me for a ride in one of these:

Just kidding, I don't like flying! ;)

that is one awsome shot milo! Mr. Tally Ho I will take the ride on the jet since milo doesnt like to fly! pleaseeee! ;D ;D

Tally Ho

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 01:34:06 PM »

Milo and rhino,

Thank you for your pay it forward attitude.  Someone said 'take milo up on his offer.'  You can even blind fold me to ensure secrecy of your hallowed fishing grounds. 

As far as the airplane ride....I think I can get you a ride in this: 

Oh wait.....that's only a one seater!  You know how to fly already right?  and I don't mean 'fly' fish!  :D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 01:42:27 PM »

If you go with Milo I will join you as well. I am just not flying in that one seater. ( Bobo has a fear of heights!!! )

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 01:59:49 PM »

I guess i got to pay a guide to show me whats up.Anybody have any steelhead guides numbers?
Looks like Milo would be happy to take you out.  I'm sure you'll have a great time... and for future reference, maybe you should give it some time between blatantly asking someone to take you fishing and then playing the guilt card.  Not everyone checks the board on an hourly basis.

Tex

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 03:30:27 PM »

Hey Mr Ho, if Milo cannot deliver you a steelie, I will take you on for trip #2. I don't need a seat as I am already a 'Hawk'.  ;D

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 10:37:02 PM »

Milo and rhino,

Thank you for your pay it forward attitude.  Someone said 'take milo up on his offer.'  You can even blind fold me to ensure secrecy of your hallowed fishing grounds. 

As far as the airplane ride....I think I can get you a ride in this: 

Oh wait.....that's only a one seater!  You know how to fly already right?  and I don't mean 'fly' fish!  :D

Thanks for the offer but that aircraft just doesnt have the same feel in seems. Have fun with Milo and the boys. ;) fly safe.

Rhino.