Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mile high resort  (Read 3052 times)

shawn_john

Mile high resort
« on: June 03, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »

went up to mile high resort for the weekend just by logan lake area past merritt. here are some pics of the fish we caught total of 40 but we only kept 12 fish. the biggest fish was just over 2lbs and the others averaging 1lb all caught on flies.

my dads fish

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 04:14:33 PM by shawn_john »

PistolPete

Re: Mile high resort
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 05:08:53 PM »

That chain with the fish reminds me of the time I went fishing with my dad I was about 12-13 we had 2-3 fish on the chain hanging it in the water with it hook to the boat where the oars slide in caught another fish go to put it on the chain and it is gone I was devastated , now it makes me laugh....

SnakeRoll

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 02:30:40 PM »

i can't believe people actually still use those chains. :o

Zpg

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 03:44:15 PM »

i can't believe people actually still use those chains. :o

The letter of the law states that you are not allowed to use stringers unless the fish are dead. You have to release the fish immediately if you are not keeping it or kill it immediately. I guess it is an attempt to prevent the bucket brigade or prevent fishermen from culling their catch. A stringer is not a bad was of keeping fish cool until you make it back to the dock though.

Nice report Shawn John...sounds like it was a great trip!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 04:32:06 PM »

The last time I used one of those chains was at Needa Lake up Windy Mountain Rd 100 mile . They worked great for luring in the Loons . B4 we realized it ,  the Loons were snagging our fish right off the chain  :P .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

island boy

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 07:07:46 PM »

saw a guy up at chilliwack lake a few weeks ago and he had a few dollies on a chain still alive. i don't think it's rite.
you kill it, you clean it.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 07:37:35 PM »

thanks for the report! 

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »

Nice fish! :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 08:15:32 PM »

Stringers are not illegal, keeping fish alive in your possession is. When you see this happening, phone the local conservation office immediately if possible. Two summers ago, the Squamish was closed immediately right after the Cheakamus chemical spill. The local CO caught several anglers not only fishing in a closed water, but also having several live pink salmon on a stringer. Most people who keep fish alive while in their possession is attempting high grading, meaning if they get a larger fish, they would release the one that is already in possession. High grading and other violations are explained in the Freshwater Fishering Regulation Synopsis:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/pdf/fish-synopsis_2007-08_general.pdf

Keeping your dead fish in the water on a stringer is legal, but there are things to watch out for. In a cold lake, it is a good way to keep your fish fresh. In the Fraser River, having your salmon in the water around late summer is not a great idea. The water temperature is too warm and that usually results in spoiled meat. It's best to have a cooler with you in this case.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 08:30:32 PM »

http://www.toptrout.co.uk/acatalog/Toptrout_Fresh_Fish_16.html

for the low down and formulas on keeping fish fresh. ;)
I have used the ocean for some salt marinade, and the bottom of the boat bilge water. Mixed gas tastes terrible, so if you don't have a good place to keep the fish hangen over the side might be the only thing.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

SnakeRoll

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 11:31:40 PM »

if you are keeping fish, the best way is to clean the fish soon as you catch them. Keeping them in water is one of the worst things you can do.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 12:12:15 AM »

Hot day out, draggen a chain of dressed trout around the hot surface water. When the rib bones start coming off the side you know it's half cooked.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

shawn_john

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 12:07:24 PM »

i seen above from rodney you are saying it is illegal to use the chain even if the fish are dead. we used the chain that day cause the water where colder so we wanted to keep them fresh till we got in to the cabin. just wanted to clear this up it is illegal to do that so then i know next time?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 12:14:33 PM »

i seen above from rodney you are saying it is illegal to use the chain even if the fish are dead.

That's not what I said.

Keeping your dead fish in the water on a stringer is legal...

shawn_john

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »

i read the other part sorry about that rodney got it mixed up on the other part.