Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Oct. 26.  (Read 6672 times)

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
Vedder Oct. 26.
« on: October 26, 2004, 04:51:59 PM »

After reading Bug Pumper's report, I was itching to go to Vedder.
Somehow, I couldn't sleep last night, so I decided to head for Vedder at 5:00a.m.

I arrived at the usual spot around 6:30a.m.  It was still too dark, so I waited in the car for 30min., listening to the radio.   Actually, I was lonely and kind of scared of walking through bushes all by myself...

When it got light enough to see my float, I headed down to the river bank.  It was quite windy and cold.    There was still nobody around but I.  I had a whole run to myself for the most of the morning!   (Few hours after the dawn, few people came and went, and they didn't seem to have any luck..)

Anyways, how did I do????  Whoo, Hoo! :o

At very first cast, I hooked into a dirty chum.  Landed and released it.
Few minute later, another chum.  Broke off.  Few minute later, chum.  Broke off.  They were all very very dark.

Finally around 8:00ish, a chrome hatchery Coho around 13lb.range.
I managed to bring it up the river bank after a few min. of fighting. 
I put down my rod and walked up to the fish.  Then the fish shook its head and the hook simply dropped on a ground ... The coho rolled down the bank and swam away..  Doh! :P

After that, nothing for hour or two.  Then chums started to take my roe.
Few broke off,  few  landed.   All released.

I hooked another hatchery coho around 12~13lb.   The fish came to the shallow and the line snapped.   This is because, I hadn't changed my leader after hooking boot chums.    I totally deserved it...  :-[

Later, I finally bonked a chrome female Coho 24inches long.  I cleaned it, its guts and gills thrown away and  roe put in a zip-lock bag.   When I was washing my hands, this already cleaned fish started flopping around behind me...!  :o  Quite vigorously, too!!!! Aaaaaagh!!  It sure freaked me out....  It was good thing that I still had it on a ground, instead of soaking it in the river water... 

Later,  I hooked a wild Coho.  Landed it. Released it. I couldn't
tell if it was a male or a female.  It was rather pinkish and dark...

Again, few moments later, I landed another chrome hatchery male Coho.  Bonked it.

So, I took home  2 hatchery cohoes.  I dropped off the male at  my boss' house on the way back   They really love to eat.. eh.. sperm sack!Yaaak!  :P  She mixes it up with garlic and thyme and fries 'em..   Tastes like oyster, so they tell me..  :-\ 

In total, I hooked around 5 to 6 Cohoes, including the two I kept.
Did not see any chinooks today.

Side note: I landed 3 steel-head?  smolts,  ranging from 8inches to
12inches.  Their fin was clipped.   Their strike is so hard, harder than that of cohoes..  Also they put up better fights than chums did.   8)      They could have been Rainbows, perhaps?  I can't tell the difference between these two.

I was sooo tired, sleepy and my hands were freezing, but it was such an excellent outing.  I say again, short floating is fun!

By the way, I don't understand why there were so few people today as  fishing is still very very good.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Vedder Oct. 26.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 05:09:18 PM »

ok, one question, how come you didn't phone me at 5am? I was just on my way to bed.... ;D

Nice to see you finally had a good day after the two-week drought. :)

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 05:40:20 PM »

Nice to see you finally had a good day after the two-week drought. :)

Do you mean to say he's only posting reports when he has success  ;D

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 05:41:25 PM »

well,  I went to the stave at around 8:00 then found out there was a saine net out for the hatchery. Fished at the main strech for 15 min, moved to vedder around 10:30 ish. Start fishing the lower section. First cast, got a chinook in the mid 20s. put up a good fright for about 15min then the hook poped out.  few cast later, hooked into a chum released shortly.   At around 12:00, something hit my fly so hard that i almost lost my rod. soon as i pick up the slack, saw a nice flash, i know, its something i wanted that thing jump and jump, roll and roll.. finally, i beached him for dinner.  Not a bad day of fishing but its really windy. hard to punch out cast. but still a better that sitting at home......

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 07:08:41 PM »

How short are you floating?

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 07:49:16 PM »

after the two-week drought. :)

You had to throw  that in, hadn't you?!  :-X   :'( :'(

Do you mean to say he's only posting reports when he has success ;D 

All right, all right!   I am so guilty!  I went to Cap. and N. Arm on Sunday and totally nada!     Besides, Rod usually includes my skunking episodes in his posts anyways..   :P      Hey wait!  Do chums,  Steel smolts,  dollies, flounders, bullheads, and crabs count as success?   ;D

How short are you floating?
30cm ~ 50cm floats to weight & swivel.  40cm~50cm leader.   Shorter on Cohoes, longer on chinooks.

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 07:54:07 PM »

Oh, nice fish Marco.
We should have hooked up at Vedder..

gman

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 08:00:10 PM »

Good job Luke and Marco.
Maybe there's still hope for another Vedder coho for me this year!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 09:05:38 PM »

Nice fish Marco! I realized from your picture that I know you, I'm always fishing with geoff and Young Ryu.  Chris. BP
Fish on!

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 12:25:45 AM »

Nice report Luke, looks like you had a excellent day at the Vedder. I wish i had just much luck like you  ;) :D
Marco nice fish!  :)

Will

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 08:58:01 AM »

;Dnice reports guys .man i sure miss fishing on the river.guess i wont get any coho this year. oh well i enjoy your reports so keep em comming. ;D

Beartrack

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 09:09:29 AM »

I realize this might make me the dregs of the board,  ;) but hey, my name is Scott and I'm a spring-a-holic. I enjoy fishing the Vedder for springers. This past weekend I left with my 2-day possession limit, a 26 and 36 pounders in good shape. I also handed my pole off to a bunch of other folks after hookup who didn't have their fish yet, particularly the kids on the hole. Great fun. Had a pretty bright batch of chums come through as well and ended up keeping 2 for the smoker. The springers actually were in nice enough shape for baking or certainly for bbq. Spent some time light lining it up river for Coho as well but drifting for Coho is not my specialty, I'm usually much better at slow water with Dick Nite spoons. Any one have any pointers on good places on the Vedder for Coho in slower water with spoons? Also, I don't suppose anyone has any phone numbers for campgrounds in the area do they? A friend offered to bring up his trailer this weekend but I haven't been able to dig up any phone numbers to check for vacancies. Thanks in advance for any info on the camp ground #s!

smoqqy

• i'm a drifter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 09:39:33 AM »

my report is in total reverse of LUKE and STEELHEAD.

went out to mid river at first light. don't know any spot out there so i had to find some nice water for 30 minutes. i think it's the spot they call the beaver dam where i end up. the run looks good,i saw a couple of fish rising. use some roe for two hours and the only fish that i'm catching are dark springs,no coho. :'(
moved down stream to the next pool and all i catch are chums,look down river and  all rapids. heart broken,decided to go home by 1:00pm.
i should have stayed at the lower river where my luck is good,NEXT TIME.
tight lines! 

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 10:40:40 AM »

I realize this might make me the dregs of the board,  ;) but hey, my name is Scott and I'm a spring-a-holic. I enjoy fishing the Vedder for springers. This past weekend I left with my 2-day possession limit, a 26 and 36 pounders in good shape. I also handed my pole off to a bunch of other folks after hookup who didn't have their fish yet, particularly the kids on the hole. Great fun. Had a pretty bright batch of chums come through as well and ended up keeping 2 for the smoker. The springers actually were in nice enough shape for baking or certainly for bbq. Spent some time light lining it up river for Coho as well but drifting for Coho is not my specialty, I'm usually much better at slow water with Dick Nite spoons. Any one have any pointers on good places on the Vedder for Coho in slower water with spoons? Also, I don't suppose anyone has any phone numbers for campgrounds in the area do they? A friend offered to bring up his trailer this weekend but I haven't been able to dig up any phone numbers to check for vacancies. Thanks in advance for any info on the camp ground #s!

Hey Beartrack, I think you are only allowed to keep 1 chum.  You do not want to be getting caught breaking the regs.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 10:41:24 AM »

Possession limit he is referring to I think....