Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fisherman 0 - Fish 5 (Vedder Oct 23)  (Read 3197 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Fisherman 0 - Fish 5 (Vedder Oct 23)
« on: October 23, 2004, 06:47:48 PM »

Fished above and below Wilson Rd from 0645-1700

Five fish on. Five fish off.  They almost all caught me by surprise, as I had lulled into a a sense of "I'm not going to hook a fish - I've been through this piece of water a dozen times...Then Wham! Brief tussle ensues (from 5 secs to 2 minutes) resulting in Fish Off :(

The last was due to my own stupidity.  I usually check my drag periodically to make sure it hasn't been knocked tighter or looser, as the day goes on.  I forgot, and hit a nice Coho.  It does the roll, and spin thing,  I set hook, and then the fight is on.  The fish decides to go down stream, and I realise the drag is too tight.  I try to reach it and loosen it, while, letting the rod tip downwards to try and cushion the fish.  No luck.  Bing!  Bye bye fish - hello half of my leader :(

Interesting weather!  Sun, hail, sleet, rain, lightning, wind.   A good day to be enjoying nature. :D

Cheers!

mark

Re: Fisherman 0 - Fish 5 (Vedder Oct 23)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 08:41:54 PM »

I'll I can say is WOW. I had 5 on today as well and last them all too. One I had on was about a good 8-9lbs and as chrome as a dime, :'( :'( :'( ERRRRR!

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 08:51:59 PM »

Fished from first light to 4pm. From the 6 fishermen in our group, we only managed to land 7 Coho. Only one for me. Not many Coho around. Hooked lots of Springs and Chums. Lotsa fun, but some fish are starting to rot, mostly Chums. :-X

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 09:24:26 PM »

Fished from first light to 4pm. From the 6 fishermen in our group, we only managed to land 7 Coho. Only one for me. Not many Coho around. Hooked lots of Springs and Chums. Lotsa fun, but some fish are starting to rot, mostly Chums. :-X
That's awesome compared to us  :o  A stretch of about 9 guys fishing......only 1 was landed and only a couple of brief hookups.  Oh.....and 1 boot of a spring was bonked by one desperate fisherman   :-\

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 10:00:10 PM »

no fish in the secret spot fishing addict???? weird   :'(

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 10:41:32 PM »

I didn't get there until 9:30 and our usual spot was already occupied  :P  The 1 coho was already beached b4 i arrived.  Don't know how it was first light  ???  Did you hit up the Fraser?  Let me know how you did  :)

pescador

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 10:55:18 PM »

Fished lower Vedder in the second half of the day. Rather slow. Had a few fish on, but all of them got off. Not too many people.

Also went to have a quick look at Tamihi area. That was ugly. Big crowd on both sides. Saw a few fish landed and bonked, but no one of those was fairly hooked. Some guys were proudly going home with absolute boots.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 11:15:23 PM »

3 of us out today, me and bro in-law limited by 11:00, third guy no coho just boot dogs.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 07:26:02 AM »

Went fly fishing today. I have 5 hook-ups with cohos. 1 coho landed was wild.  the others were too smart to get landed.  They all figured out that if they wrap my line around boulders they won't get landed.

Lost quite a number of flies on the springs also.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 09:40:43 AM »

Dragon Speed, invest in a centre pin then you do not have to worry about setting the drag on your reel. ;D ;D

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 09:44:21 AM »

nicer fishing experience with a pin once you get used to it as well. Must have patients through, I sold my first pin because my knuckles kept getting bashed. Bought another and forced myself to fish it and now it is defenitely my prefered method for salmon.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 11:57:28 AM »

Yup - that exact thought went through my mind (along with a string of obscenities) as the leader went "Bing!" :(  Gotta start trying a 'pin :D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 03:54:30 PM »

Set your star drag loose and use your thumb on the spool.  Much more sensitive and easy to adjust.  Until, of course, you invest $400 in your new centre pin. ;D

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 04:12:57 PM »

I fish with a JW Young Trudex, 60's model in awesome shape and spins better than most new pins, I paid $85.00 for it, fish the reel with a custom built Rainshadow, brand new cost me $220.00 = $300.00 for entire set up. You really don't need to spend a ton of money just look around there are deals all over the place. If I were you I would wait until someone who has never tried pinning and buys a set up finds out they don't like it and deceides to re-sell.
But you must be patient fishing it as it does take some getting used to, however once you invest the time, it is the way to go, drifts much nicer with way more control as you can let the line slowly spool out keeping your offering in the zone.