Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a problem  (Read 4262 times)

NiceFish

• Old Timer
I have a problem
« on: December 12, 2010, 04:19:08 PM »

I purchased a 5" Original Adcock Stanton centre pin a month or so ago, I hadn't actually suited it up for my rod untill today
and, well, it won't fit as pictured the seat is much too big on the reel (or too small on the rod -- Sage 3113 MB).

What are your suggestions to fix this situation? I could easily enough "grind/cut the seat to fit" but I would rather not do that,  but maybe it is the best option.

Also; what do you guys use to clean your rods up? Mine is caked in roe and what not and need a good cleaning.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: I have a problem
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »

If your worried about the reel losing  $ value, I would not alter it in any way.

You could price the amount it would be to get the rod altered so the reel would fit, just an idea.

I'm sure the rod builders on here will give you a better idea than this though, stay tuned  ;)

I had the same problem, my old reel would not fit on my new rod, so I went and bought a new reel. ;D

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »

that rod is worth more than the reel, grind it down

n8

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:50:01 PM »

just dip and scrub in river water... i never use soap anymore because it ends up stinking the cork for a while. i'd say keep your hands clean.. the cork will last a lot longer and will look better too

speycaster

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:07:32 PM »

I use those Mr. Clean white pads. THey clean dirty cork so that it looks like new.

Dogbreath

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »

what do you guys use to clean your rods up? Mine is caked in roe and what not and need a good cleaning.
Dishwashing soap and an old toothbrush-takes a while but slowly the cork gives up the grime.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 07:39:31 AM »

You could use a band clamp to hold it on.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

spoiler

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 08:38:53 AM »

If the reel seat can be removed you could have a machinist make one up that fits your rod and keep the original if you want.
the best thing to clean your cork is an SOS pad. You can scrub it quite hard and it will make your handle look like new.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 09:49:55 AM »

You can buy a Willson tennis racket wrap from the sporting goods section at wallmart. Wrap it tight and tape it off and you have yourself a comfy reel seat.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 07:47:17 PM »

here's what i came up with, using that tennis racket wrap to "even out" the machined reel seat then I placed the reel ontop, wrapped tight with more wrap then sucked her down with electrical tape (which doesn't touch any part of the rod or reel directly). Seems to hold quite well.

This reel has no clicker on it, does anyone have any ideas of how to keep it from spinning like crazy when i'm going for a walk from spot to spot without having to hold the reel? I have a neoprene case that fits over my other centre pin and it works great but it does not fit this reel

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 07:53:47 PM »

Get a rubber band {strong one} and put it over the top of your reel knob,around the rod and back to the reel knob, when your not using it , slide it over your wrist, just an idea  ;)

Nice looking old reel by the way

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 09:30:12 PM »

today was the first day out with, not that i'm an experience pin guy but the difference from my other one is knight and day, this one is so smoooooth