Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser coho  (Read 12325 times)

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
Fraser coho
« on: September 23, 2005, 02:18:05 PM »

I have never fished for coho in the Fraser and I was hoping some one could give me some info :).I have cured some roe and I am wondering what your guys think is the best way to fish coho. Any help is appreciated :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fraser coho
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 02:23:26 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2001/1101_01.html

Just in case you or others do not know, the current bait ban in the Fraser River until October 7th does not allow you to use roe for salmon. After that, you will be able to use roe. Hatchery coho salmon (the ones without an adipose fin) will probably be allowed (opportunities have not been announced, and will be in early October. There is no retention of coho salmon, both wild and hatchery, in the Fraser right now).

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 04:15:06 PM »

Does anyone know if you are allowed to keep hatchery coho in the chuck right now?? Cause I'm going out on a charter for springs and there have been a fair amount of coho caught recently as well.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 04:25:00 PM »

You can retain hatchery cohos.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 04:59:55 PM »

thanks for the info, now I am even more pumped for tomorrow.  Just waitin for a report from Ambleside for today as well!!!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 06:38:41 PM »

I have never fished for coho in the Fraser and I was hoping some one could give me some info :).I have cured some roe and I am wondering what your guys think is the best way to fish coho. Any help is appreciated :)

I have had succsess in the past fishing coho staged at creek mouths on on blue fox spinners. I usually use bigger sizes than in clear water rivers. Sizes 3,4 seem to give me the best results.
Actions speak louder than words.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 12:38:29 AM »

you should check the wording of the dfo coho conservation regs, my understanding is that coho are a "non target" species right now in the fraser, meaning they don't want you to target them period. That's just how i understood it anyways.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 10:48:53 AM »

ok thnx guys. Im heading out to brownsville right now if your going there look for the teenager.lol.good luck to all you guys and gals :)

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 10:54:03 AM »

Oh ya,does the colour of these bluefox?for the coho

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 10:58:26 AM »

Sigh...

Current Tidal Fraser River coho Regulations

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/fraser_e.htm

September 6, 2005 to October 7, 2005, you may not use bait when fishing for salmon in the tidal waters of the Fraser River downstream of the CPR Bridge at Mission, BC. You also may not fish for coho salmon or sockeye salmon in this area during this period of time.  Chinook and pink fisheries remain open at current limits.

Current Non-tidal Fraser River Coho Regulations

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm

From the downstream side of the CPR Bridge at Mission upstream to the Highway 1 Bridge at Hope, no fishing for coho from September 8 to October 7.

From the Highway No.1 Bridge at Hope, BC upstream to the confluence with Sawmill Creek, no fishing for coho from September 10 to October 13.

From the confluence with Sawmill Creek upstream to the Alexandra Bridge, no fishing for coho from September 10 to December 31.

Landstrom Bar, those waters of the Fraser R. inside a line beginning at a fishing boundary sign on the eastern end of Landstrom Bar, then to a fishing boundary sign on the opposite bank, then to a fishing boundary sign at the southern end of Croft Island, then westerly to a fishing boundary sign on the nearest bank of the river, then following the river bank to the beginning point, is closed from May 1 to Oct 31.

BOOKMARK THESE PAGES!

Tidal fishing regulations

Freshwater salmon regulations

Fisheries notices

Fishing news section of this website

How to read the regulations

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 11:08:23 AM »

Oh ya,does the colour of these bluefox?for the coho

Pink. ;)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 10:47:27 PM »

Pink or Blue work good also try Koho spoons in the illusion pattern purple blue colored have been hot in the past also Fire strip Crocs can be good.