Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anyone know how to bottom fish with yarn??  (Read 8056 times)

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
Does anyone know how to bottom fish with yarn??
« on: September 01, 2005, 10:00:59 PM »

I have never bottom fished but i would like to try,i am curently curing some roe from my pink today,but i have yarn and i dont kno how to use it

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Does anyone know how to bottom fish with yarn??
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 10:09:23 PM »

Bottom fish with yarn? Do you mean bottom bounce? You are young dont bottom bounce its not getting the fish to bite its simply snagging fish. I cant make your mind up for you but I suggest you research what this is and decide on your own. For me fishing is a sport and their is no sport in snagging fish. If you enjoy fishing as a sport than do it so that the fish bite. If you want to catch big springs in the fall try barfishing. If you need info on barfishing just e-mail me I have a ton of information for you. Anytime you want some help just e-mail me I would be happy to help.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 10:12:22 PM »

He's talking about bottom fishing with roe in tidal Fraser.

*Lil Fisherman*, read this:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2001/1101_01.html

Yarn is not needed. Just hook and weight, with roe on hook.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 10:25:47 PM »

Thanks alot :D

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 12:13:59 PM »

if you are fishing for salmon on the fraser then i agree with rod. all you need is a weight hook and roe. but...if you are a fishing for steelhead then...many steelheaders use the drift fishing technique which sometimes uses a combination of wool, corkies(small bait floats) and bait (if allowed). although there are a lot of people who are anti flossing because you are not getting the fish to bite, when steelheading certain rivers this drift fishing technique is very effective and you are definately not flossing the fish. i have also called this technique bottom bouncing but it varies greatly from the type of bottom bouncing that is done to catch springs and sockeye on the fraser (primarily the type of weight, hook size and especially the length of leader). check out www.steelheader.net to see diagrams on this type of rig as well as others for different types of fishing techniques.

regarding wool on the hook, a lot of old time fishermen believe that the color of wool has an effect on steelhead fishing as well as it helps preserve the bait scent as well as it helps in hooking the fish when it bites because the wool gets caught up in the teeth when they hit. i believe it can also add a little bouancy to the hook...keeping it off the rocks. whether any of this is true or not i seem to catch a lot of steelhead and large trout using this method on various rivers. i am not flossing any of these fish and you can definately feel the bites (which are not too big especially when fishing for winter steelhead...except for the aggressive thompson steelhead and trout.

my rigs consist of #1 or #2 odd steelhead hook (red), wool (yellow, white , red or green), a corkie, pencil lead held on by a swivel and rubber tubing. i use #12 lb test leader which varies from 12-24 inches usually. 

just my two cents.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 12:35:36 PM »

Well ive never really intentionally fished for steelys but wen I do ill use your info.THANKS ALOT :D

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 09:26:03 PM »

listen to the buddha

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 09:38:29 PM »

Haha.lol. well if hees a god then that would be a good idea.tee hee