Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutthroatin' the sloughs June 25  (Read 1570 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Cutthroatin' the sloughs June 25
« on: June 26, 2005, 07:00:11 PM »

A weekend trip to the Harrison Hot Springs Hotel with my wife gave me the opportunity to sample the cutthroat fishing in several upper Fraser Valley sloughs. First stop was Morris Lake, a body of water that I had heard much about, but never fished.  Due to being on foot and because of the high water, I was limited to fishing in the area immediately at the foot of the trail. Half an hour of probing the water with my go-to spoon produced a smallish hatchery cutt. I had expected to see some Weaver Creek sockeye fry in the water but not the vast school that I encountered. For the entire half hour that I fished there, a near continuous 6-8” wide ribbon of fry swam along the contours of the shore.

Later I poked around the mouth of Maria Slough; again the high water and blackberry brambles limited my access. I had my waders with me but wasn't in the mood to put them on and slug through the thigh high grass and knee high water. 20 minutes or so of casting produced nothing of note.

Lastly I spent some time at Johnson Slough, a body of water that is productive when the water backs up due to the freshet.  About a half hour or so of fishing produced another smallish cutt, this one wild, and a serious strike that I didn’t connect on.