Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rod length  (Read 5207 times)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Rod length
« on: December 03, 2004, 01:17:07 PM »

I am going ot be getting a new rod for my new ABU Garcia 6500 C4 level wind. I want a rod for everything from Pink to smaller chinook......what length should I get? 6'6 or 10'6?

help? 10'6" seems so long
You don't make friends with salad.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Rod length
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 01:21:41 PM »

10'6" is long that's the idea. ::)
Easier to fish with and it highlights the running, twisting fight of the Salmon better.
I've caught Salmon on a 6'6" Muskie rod and the fight was a total bore.
Longer rods are also more forgiving if you make a mistake and you'll be handling it like a pro in a few weeks.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 02:20:54 PM »

Their are 8' and 9' rods out their as well. I like my 9 foot for Steelhead, and Salmon its all about preference but the 6'6' is a bit short for those fish in all aspects but hey if you are comfortable with it than thats all that matters.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 02:30:51 PM »

10'6 Reasons being, as already stated a longer rod is more forgiving. Also, a longer rod will allow you to fish deeper when float fishing.
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 02:38:28 PM »

10 1/2' definitely.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 03:42:21 PM »

I used to think that 10.5 ft was a little long, but now I buy spinning rods the same length, because it's easier to land a fish, and I find that the casting accuracy is better.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

blueback

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 04:13:56 PM »

With a longer rod it's also easier to swing roe over to the other side of the river without having the stuff fall off (if it's not in a bag).

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 05:00:54 PM »

Aquaboy: go for the 10'6" length.  It seems everyone is pretty unanimous in that opinion.  Couple of other advantages:
better control of your line/float when you're drifting a float.  Better hook sets because of the mechanical advantage you get of a longer rod.  Generally, longer length=more/better shock absorbtion when the fish runs on you thererfore, is "more forgiving".  You can still cast well with a 10'6" rod, but it's a lot harder to drift a float with a 6'6" rod especially if you're fishing in a crowd and everyone else is using a 10' + rod.  FYI: for targeting pinks I wouldn't even bother pulling out my drift rod.  I've got a Daiwa Eliminator (7') with a Quantam Energy reel which I've used to land 8lbs pinks and 6lb cohos when casting spoons.  I've also got a 9' Triforce Z rod and Abu Cardinal reel if I want something a little more substantial for pinks.  For springs, the 10'6" rod is the way to go.
President Club S. C. & P.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 10:16:30 PM »

10.5 is good, but give the 9 footer a go as well. I used the 9 footer for a couple of seasons in the past, not bad for floating, but excellent for tossing metals.

norm_2

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 07:45:21 PM »

Aquaboy: I have a lighter 10'6" rod and a 11'2" little heavier one.  I cast a lot farther with the longer one although it may have to do with its stiffer action.  Also I can set the hook better with the longer one.  I find the longer one more better on the Vedder.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 03:11:23 PM »

I have a 9' and a 10.5'.  If I had to choose I would go with the 10.5'.  The 9' is great for certain spots, but the 10.5 is better all round.