Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River anchor question  (Read 3185 times)

fullahead

River anchor question
« on: September 25, 2004, 09:16:45 AM »

I have a 14-foot lifetimer, I use on the Fraser, for sockeye fishing. How heavy an anchor is required, and could any one suggest where I could buy an anchor. I would also like to get a good holder on the bow with the wheel. Thank you in advance for any input.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: River anchor question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 09:49:43 AM »

The anchor doesn't have to be all that heavy but do you need at least 15 feet of chain to help hold it in place.
Try find one like I've posted below-weighs about 6 pounds and with 15 feet of chain will hold you almost anywhere you want.
Because of the design of the thing you'll rarely get caught so bad that you are stuck on bottom-just run upstream and the direction of pull flops the thing over and you're off.
Try Nikka in Steveston.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 10:20:20 AM »

I have that exact anchor.... if u would like it we can work out a price pm me cause i never used it before and im selling my boat!

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 02:25:48 PM »

Sam Salmon ... why do you need 15 feet of chain?  What does the chain do that is different than the rope?  Just curious ...

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 02:40:56 PM »

I use a 30 lb. river anchor that I bought privately from a guy that works at Fred's in Chilliwack.  They will run $90-120.  Too much if you ask me, but they work.  Use 15' of chain and 50' minimum of rope.  Depends on how deep you will anchor.  You want your scope to be at least 5-1.  In other words, 5ft of water=25ft of rope.  I prefer the river anchors because if they get stuck in the rocks you can break the zap strap that holds the chain to the top and pull the anchor verticle.  I've had to do it 5 times this year.  I have a 15ft aluminum.

The chain lays flat on the bottom and pulls the anchor flat.  A rope will pull the top of the anchor up and you'll never get it set.

fullahead

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 07:29:13 PM »

Thanks for the information on the river anchor, I will stop in at Fred’s and ask about having one made up. And good luck on the river guy’s