Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting Proposals on Fraser Sport Fishing  (Read 15594 times)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re:Interesting Proposals on Fraser Sport Fishing
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2004, 01:52:19 PM »

Works for me.  I have a change to rule 5 however.  I believe that the removal of agates is leading to stream degredation and those that remove them should be charged under the law that prevents damage to spawning beds. ;D

If we could guarantee that the $15 would go to enhancement etc. I'd be all for it.  As for 10 springs being too many.  HA! You've got to be kidding!  How many catch 10?  Very few.

Thanks for getting the debate going again.  This site has been a little depressed since the sox were closed ;D

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 02:31:06 PM »

There are many more important issues to deal with regarding the fisheries here in BC.  Current rules and regulations are an extremely miniscule portion of the whole picture.  The fish population being in decline or not rebounding is more important than what size of hook and the length of leader people should use.  There has to be fish in order for us to fish.  Not just for ourselves but for future generations.  There has to be real scientific research, instead of the kind driven by monetary/political interest.  The government have to be kept in check on how they spend our hard earned money.  

IMHO, these and associated issues are more pressing problems that we all have to focus our energy on.                                                                
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Pink Poacher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2004, 02:53:46 PM »

;D ;D ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2004, 03:03:13 PM »

Works for me.  I have a change to rule 5 however.  I believe that the removal of agates is leading to stream degredation and those that remove them should be charged under the law that prevents damage to spawning beds. ;D

If we could guarantee that the $15 would go to enhancement etc. I'd be all for it.  As for 10 springs being too many.  HA! You've got to be kidding!  How many catch 10?  Very few.

Thanks for getting the debate going again.  This site has been a little depressed since the sox were closed ;D

i hear agates is huge in the 'black market'. all those little kiddies walking around with their 'bling-blings', getting rich of these rocks.  "i second your motion" :D ;D :D ;D

asking the government for guarantees, is like asking them to break down how the 'GST' is used.    i caught 101 springs last year, only 99 were tyees... the rest were jacks ;D

as far as this site being depressing since the closure of sockeyes...... you're the 'Yabb God'.... maybe you should be the one to 'stir things up' once in a while ;) ;D

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2004, 03:11:10 PM »

I say, leave the rules as they are now and increase the fines for the violators by 50x what they are now.   The revenue can be used for more enforcement and more valid scientific research.
They increase enforcement to generate even more revenue.
The scientific research to solve the current environmental problems affecting the fisheries.

1.  Is it the TRUTH?

By Herbert J. Taylor

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2004, 03:21:02 PM »

maybe you should be the one to 'stir things up' once in a while ;) ;D

Or - Not.  The world doesn't have to live in constant state of heated debate for interesting conversation.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2004, 04:52:09 PM »

maybe you should be the one to 'stir things up' once in a while ;) ;D

Or - Not.  The world doesn't have to live in constant state of heated debate for interesting conversation.

true.  i didn't mean it in a 'literal' sense.

however, i should point out.  debate can be a great foundation for progress.  it's the way it's conveyed that creates 'the heated topic' and  poor text in conversation. supression and censorship should be reserved only to protect one's rights and to protect the integrity of the debate itself.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2004, 05:18:01 PM »

No harm done blaydRnr.  I do stir the pot once in a while.  You just missed it ;)  I love a good debate.  Lets have it out in words a go for a beer after. :D

Lets see....
How do you feel about flossing in the Vedder/Chilliwack?  ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 05:19:08 PM by grumman »

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2004, 05:28:19 PM »

It should only be allowed in above the Vedder Crossing Bridge.  Below it should only be fly fishing.  
1.  Is it the TRUTH?

By Herbert J. Taylor

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2004, 07:07:47 PM »

Increase fines!! For example, the fine for fishing without a license is almost less then actually buying a license.  Some would see it worthwhile to take a risk on it and not get one.  Almost a good risk to take considering the amount of enforcement currently out there.

Cut back on leader length would be #1 in my books.

I like the idea of quitting fishing once you get your limit of sockeye.  But then the guy looking for a spring might open its own problems as someone might kill one sockeye and keep on releasing sockeye until they get a spring.  ???  Any ideas?

A section on your license to record your sockeye catch to reduce double dipping.  A quota on each license (10-20?) might be sensible.

Flossing on the Vedder??? >:( >:( >:(  There is certainly no need to floss coho/springs/steelhead/dogs as they are all very willing biters.  One might overlook the floss show on the Fraser as sockeye are not as willing (but they WILL!) biters, but not the Vedder.  

Ill halt my tirade there!  You're all very welcome.  ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2004, 07:13:30 PM »

for every one salmon killed you must kill 3 bass ;D ;D

Now that's a good idea  ;)

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2004, 08:22:12 PM »

Use of gillnet is not an approved sportfishing method for catching salmon.  I really believe that they should make 10' leader mandatory for gear fishing.  All rivers should be divided into 2 sections.  One for gear fishing and the other for fly fishing. ;D
1.  Is it the TRUTH?

By Herbert J. Taylor

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2004, 08:34:09 PM »

Well if they do not pay the fine they should wear a shock collar.  This collar will be activated by transmitters on the fishing area if they come withing 100 meters.
1.  Is it the TRUTH?

By Herbert J. Taylor

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2004, 08:48:36 PM »

Wow! I go away for a day and there is some great chat on here :) good to see.

As for my rules...

I really think there ought to be a family limit and classified waters fee.  The family daily limits would ensure that say a man and wife go out with their three kids and grandpa, all who have liscences, and catch 12 sockeye and then come back the next day and do it again.  A daily family limit would still permit for family fishing, but once the fish were caught then they could go home and enjoy them for dinner, as a family.  :) The annual family limit is also a good way to ensure that people aren't just stocking up their freezers.  Maybe a limit of 50, enough to have fish once a week or something.  

As for classified waters, i think this would be the best thing to do period.  $15 tag to retain sockeye.  If you're female dogging about an extra $15, but can budget to spend all that time, gas, and gear for TWO fish per day, then you've been aggate hunting for too long!

With proper and good legislation that money could go directly into a DFO officer's salary.  After paying for thier benifits, it probably costs DFO about $75K/year for one.  That's 5000 liscences.  I'm sure they would sell that many and more.

Just like the photo radar....
sales pitch..... to slow down speeders.
loop hole....... speeders slowing down through radar range, only to speed up again afterwards.
cost to tax payers....millions.
the cost of becoming another street ornament?....
       .......priceless.

my point is .... there's 95 million hectacres of land and freshwater in bc. how many licenses do you think you'll have to sell, to cover the number of dfo's needed?

the answer:   alot.

better solution... zero tolerence on infractions,  stricter penalties, and more importantly,  better response on reported violations.  at least ... i think its a better start.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2004, 08:52:58 AM »

I think it will be more entertaining to watch then.  They will be like bugs that brings their own bug zapper.
1.  Is it the TRUTH?

By Herbert J. Taylor