Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Protest Fishery today.  (Read 2300 times)

Lew Chater

Protest Fishery today.
« on: August 21, 2004, 05:16:03 PM »

A protest took place today in Chilliwack at Peg Leg Bar by the Sportfishing Defence Alliance and several other supporting organizations. My guess would be that about 100 people turned out. Bill Otway, president of the SDA addressed the crowd stating that "We are protesting the abandonment of the British Columbia Fisheries by Fisheries Minister Geoff Regan and Prime Minister Paul Martin. We were asked to buy a Canadian Flag and fly it upside down ( the international signal for distress) in recognition that our fishery is in real distress from government mismanagement. We are objecting to the fact that there has been an ongoing illegal fishery in this area for 5 years now and the government refuses to enforce the law and protect the fish."

Bill Otway, members of SDA, media etc. then boarded boats and went across the side channel to proceed to fish. About 20 minutes later, Bill Otway caught his sockeye and killed it. He was issued a ticket by the DFO officer and the fish confiscated. Everyone returned to Peg Legs in a driving rain, short interviews and that was it.
Interesting to see DFO officer (only one of them) go in the guide boat with the press to watch Bill catch his fish. DFO didn't have a boat there ! ;D
An interesting execise and a lot of work put in by the SDA and other groups. They need our support ! I wonder where this will go now. I'm sure Chris will be adding to this item as he is closely involved.
Sent Rodney some pictures which he will post.
WATCH BCTV TONIGHT HOPEFULLLY FOR SOME MORE INFO.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re:Protest Fishery today.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 05:19:06 PM »