Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead fishing strategy  (Read 27450 times)

essyoo

Re: Steelhead fishing strategy
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2024, 11:58:14 AM »

I feel this frustration. I was also on my third year of pounding the trails before I caught my first one. What really helped me was taking the steelheading class at pacific angler with Alex. Literally the first time out fishing after the class I got my first one. My presentations didn't really change but how I fished them and where did. Learning to read the water better was the biggest takeaway for me. I was fishing for them the same as I fished for salmon and it's worth remembering that they are trout. There's a reason the "top rods" are pretty consistent on the river every year. They know the most likely spots in a run that they will be, can pick through them quickly, and move on efficiently. I ended up really loving how much river you tend to cover chasing steelhead vs trying to find a gap on a busy run in salmon season.

fisherforever

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2024, 12:48:49 PM »

I've saved this article for years. Reading Water Tutorial:
There are 3 things you got to ask yourself before you decide if the section of river you are fishing is "Steelhead water" and will you have a chance of catching these magnificent fish. 
1.) Adequate depth to protect the fish from predators, boaters, and anglers. Rarely will you find a fish in water less than 2 1/2 feet, try focusing on water that is in the 3-15 foot range.
2.) Current Velocity, the best speed would is anywhere from a slow walking pace, to a slow jogging speed. Remember Steelhead want to get from point A to point B using the least amount of energy required. They don't want to be battling rapids, but they like a little water disturbance. 
3.) River bottom structure, Steelhead DO NOT like sand..Sand irritates a Steelhead's gills. They will rarely hold in sandy bottoms. Instead look for structure that consists of small to medium sized boulders. These could be the size of a baseball, basketball, or bigger. 

Pocket water: Pocket water is associated with swift water and structure.  In a boulder-strewn rapid, there are areas of slower/slack water that may be found in front of, behind, or beside large rocks. Float fishing is a very effective technique for fishing boulder strewn water, and pocket water. Spoon fishing is also a very effective technique, especially during the winter months when Steelhead are lethargic.
Side Channel: A well defined narrow band of deep water that is surrounded/bounded by shallower water. These are often by the rivers edge and are darker than the rest of the water surrounding it. Think of these as a fish highway, migrating fish will move up this stretch of water when they can find depth/structure to make them feel secure.
Tailouts: The smooth/slower water upstream from a rapid/faster flowing section of water is a tailout. Tailouts are usually anywhere from 1-5 feet deep, and 20 to 100+ feet long. Tailouts have flat unriffled surfaces, and is the shallowest holding water. Fish are more exposed in a tailout and are on the alert more than a fish in a pool or back eddy.

Pools: These are anywhere from 5-20 feet deep, and at times are a good bet to find Steelhead. I start at the top section of the pool, and work my way downstream covering this water thoroughly. Work through the water column covering all aspects of it. However: Just like in Bill Herzogs book he stated that fish in deep pools are suspended, so your offering doesn't necessarily have to be near the bottom. Unfortunatly I can't get the pics to post with this article.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2024, 05:43:10 PM »

I feel this frustration. I was also on my third year of pounding the trails before I caught my first one. What really helped me was taking the steelheading class at pacific angler with Alex. Literally the first time out fishing after the class I got my first one. My presentations didn't really change but how I fished them and where did. Learning to read the water better was the biggest takeaway for me. I was fishing for them the same as I fished for salmon and it's worth remembering that they are trout. There's a reason the "top rods" are pretty consistent on the river every year. They know the most likely spots in a run that they will be, can pick through them quickly, and move on efficiently. I ended up really loving how much river you tend to cover chasing steelhead vs trying to find a gap on a busy run in salmon season.

Too bad  Alex left Pacific Angler.  He is now working somewhere else.

canucksfan233

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2024, 09:12:14 PM »

Went to a spot and chatted up some guy who said he got one 10 minutes before I arrived. I've seen one steelhead hooked here a couple years ago as well.

Curious as to your experience on more than one fish being in the area/tailout/run?

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2024, 10:34:58 PM »

Man was it busy Friday, I saw 15 people in one hour and this isn't even a very popular spot usually...
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2024, 10:35:25 PM »

About 10 years ago I saw 6 steelheads caught from the tailout of a run. I got 2 on pink worm from that particular run.

canucksfan233

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2024, 11:37:44 AM »

Man was it busy Friday, I saw 15 people in one hour and this isn't even a very popular spot usually...

Other than campground area (which is always busy), was pretty quiet for my spots. Just a handful of people fishing them on Friday.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2024, 06:49:22 PM »

whats the deal with thurston meadows...the last time I was there was 20 years ago...i parked my car in the site for free..walked in ..fished..had fun...i think it was in march..

so now i try to go there...it's closed up as it is packed and no parking sides on the chilliwack road.  where does one park if you want to access thurston meadows for fishing?

fisherforever

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2024, 08:13:47 PM »

Well the river is closed to fishing above Tamihi bridge to the upper boundary tomorrow April 1st. As far as parking I haven’t fished the Vedder since moving last year to Sechelt so I can’t help you there.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2024, 09:51:21 PM »

whats the deal with thurston meadows...the last time I was there was 20 years ago...i parked my car in the site for free..walked in ..fished..had fun...i think it was in march..

so now i try to go there...it's closed up as it is packed and no parking sides on the chilliwack road.  where does one park if you want to access thurston meadows for fishing?
You can park on the river side of the road just dont cross the white line. But yea like fishforever said starting tmr no fishing there. Maybe the campground is not open yet im not sure best to google it.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

canucksfan233

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2024, 10:36:21 PM »

Pay to park at thurston anyways even in the campground. There's a couple spots on the other side of the road from the entrance, but best way is to park below and walk up to consistently get a spot.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2024, 10:34:24 AM »

DennisK , twenty years ago at Thurston, the butterfly run ! Man oh man I caught a lot of steelhead in that spot. Can’t believe it’s pay to park now. Brutal.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2024, 08:32:29 AM »

another thing i would add to this is to fish other watersheds. the vedder is definitely the most productive region 2 river but far from the only one with steelhead. explore, get out more and the fish will come to hand.

few shots from my last trip. couple region 1 and region 2 steelhead.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2024, 08:35:36 AM »

my other favourite species to target this time of year

canucksfan233

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2024, 07:34:18 PM »

wish i had a boat...