Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Billions spent on Columbia River fail to help salmon and steelhead  (Read 9671 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Billions spent on Columbia River fail to help salmon and steelhead
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2023, 05:08:43 PM »

I'd be asking questions on what the purpose of the hatchery was.
If it was to preserve the population of salmon in the Columbia river then I'd say that its a useful and worthwhile pursuit .
Of course fisheries enhancement cant be viewed in the same  sense that you'd judge whether a business is successful because this is not the point of the hatchery . The fact that its broken down to a monetary value  based per fish  is not really the point for the enhancement .
Whats not being counted is the millions of fish that either do get consumed by the several fish species, contrbuting to their survival  or the harvest by commercial fishers, or the contribtution to the recreational fishery.
This needs to be considered as a economic benefit , that well could be tabulated as well , if one was looking for some cost recovery .
 Its seems their is a rising tide of opinion on the  usefulness of hatcheries, both from down south and with DFO in Canada .
Some of the latest thoughts being that with no enhancement that the natural wild population would rebound .
I dont believe with all of our encroachments that they would have the slightest chance of survival .
 We started enhancement , it must continue for the survival of the salmon population

the purpose of the hatcheries was to return an abundance of salmon about equivalent to what returned prior to the beginning of dam development in the 1930s. If they have not done anything to increase the number of wild and hatchery salmon in the period of the study it's impossible to say they have achieved that objective. Estimated cost of each adult salmon returned was around $250 to $600 .. each. As a comparison it costs FFSBC about $2 for each fish they stock into BC waters.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2023, 05:09:24 AM »

https://fortune.com/2023/09/26/white-house-biden-200-million-salmon-ancestral-fishing-grounds-washington/

I thought there was a pay for access hatchery ran by first nations down south?

there is on the Warms Springs River in Oregon, though isn't primarily a hatchery fishery.T. The Warm Springs, a tributary of the Deschutes. runs through the Warm Springs Reserve. An Indian guiding operation was recently authorized by the tribe to operate guided fishing on the river which has trout fishing and some steelhead and salmon. Prior to that fishing for the general public hadn't been available for close to 50 years.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2023, 12:57:42 PM »

one of the only pay for access hatcheries in bc i can think of is the percy walkus hatchery in rivers inlet.

salmonrook

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2023, 12:38:07 AM »

virtually all the recreational fisheries in the US and Southern BC rely on government hatcheries and stocking. I don't known what you can call that other other than subsidized. You can make an argument to support the subsidies but you can't deny what they are.
The thing is and the point that was made 2 times was that this recreational industry exists and it in turn drives many economic benefits
Its impossible to catalogue the amount of money that it injects in this economy .
 The salmon hatcheries I know of are all run by volunteer .
FFSBC are funded by fishing license revenue , which is probably a drop in the bucket but it does benefit from other funds committed by other organizations .
 To say there is no return on investment would be incorrect

salmonrook

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2023, 12:43:40 AM »

Estimated cost of each adult salmon returned was around $250 to $600 .. each. As a comparison it costs FFSBC about $2 for each fish they stock into BC waters.
Not sure what numbers you are quoting from , I was using a Canadian example of salmon hatchery production .
FFSBC doesnt raise salmon so I dont know how you can compare the 2

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2023, 04:55:03 PM »

from the article provided in the link of my opening post - you read it?

An investigation by Oregon Public Broadcasting and ProPublica last year found that several federally-subsidized hatcheries on the Columbia River — responsible for 80% of all the salmon in the Columbia River — spent between $250 to $650 for every hatchery salmon that returned.

such numbers have been cited for several years and a number of hatcheries in Washington and Oregon have been closed because of low production and high costs.

FFSBC doesnt raise salmon so I dont know how you can compare the 2

Rainbow trout, of which FFSB raises the most, kokanee and cutthroat are all salmon. they are all from the genus oncorhynchus. The big difference between what FFCBC raises and those in the Columbia is, excepting steelhead, none released by FFSBC go to sea and none have to pass dams. Most lakes are relatively closed systems

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

salmonrook

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2023, 12:30:15 AM »

such numbers have been cited for several years and a number of hatcheries in Washington and Oregon have been closed because of low production and high costs.
Not doubting the information but the benefits , while many and worthwhile in Canada , may not be as obvious in the states .
The comparison is that we dont have the Columbia river dam to contend with .