Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furry Creek and Squamish Pinks 2023  (Read 27020 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Furry Creek and Squamish Pinks 2023
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2023, 09:33:11 AM »

There are also significant runs of pinks into the US rivers in Puget sound so catches in the test fisheries will reflect those. The Skagit has a large run and the Nooksack but I don't know how that's fairing lately.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2023, 08:40:08 PM »

Kind of amazing considering the Cheakamus run was all but wiped out ( as was everything else in the river) by a chemical spill from a train derailment in 2005.

Actually that is not correct. The spill was on Aug 5th before the main run of pinks had arrived in the Cheakamus. There were considerable amounts of pinks that showed up post spill. The spill was very hard on sculpins, juvenile trout ( steelhead), coho and chinook juveniles and aquatic insects. Adult chinook and pinks in the river at the time were also hard hit. Chum adults were not effected at all as they arrive later in the fall. The groundwater side channels also provided significant refuge for coho juveniles

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2023, 08:52:13 AM »

Surprised at Ralph’s comment that 2021 run was a dud.  I agree that 2019 was poor but had some of my best days in 2021.  I have been fishing the Squamish Pinks for about six cycles and it seems to vary considerably from season to season but that might depend on the day I picked to fish.

In 2021 I went to look at the Ashlu  spawning channel fairly early in the season and it was stuffed with fish.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2023, 09:14:32 AM »

The Area 20 and Area 12 test catches yesterday were considerably larger than in 2021. Looks like some big schools move through both areas yesterday.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2023, 10:52:15 AM »

The Area 20 and Area 12 test catches yesterday were considerably larger than in 2021. Looks like some big schools move through both areas yesterday.

:) :)

redside1

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2023, 01:05:47 PM »

Hate to burst bubbles but after the November 2021 atmosphere river event the chances of a strong pink return anywhere south coast Mainland this season are slim. pink salmon have a life history of boom or bust. Living a 2 year life cycle either they all do well or they all do poor and after that flood event I doubt many eggs survived the gravel movement that happened in so many of the local rivers.  Only time will tell but it's not been looking stellar for squamish yet.  Years of good returns usually start with fish a little earlier than usual and lasting a touch longer than usual.
hopefully I am incorrect with my prediction.
At least it's looking like it will be a stellar coho season.

coastangler

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2023, 03:07:01 PM »

Hate to burst bubbles but after the November 2021 atmosphere river event the chances of a strong pink return anywhere south coast Mainland this season are slim. pink salmon have a life history of boom or bust. Living a 2 year life cycle either they all do well or they all do poor and after that flood event I doubt many eggs survived the gravel movement that happened in so many of the local rivers.  Only time will tell but it's not been looking stellar for squamish yet.  Years of good returns usually start with fish a little earlier than usual and lasting a touch longer than usual.
hopefully I am incorrect with my prediction.
At least it's looking like it will be a stellar coho season.

Probably true for most rivers but still debatable for the Squamish. According to my notes, I was fishing the Squamish near the November 2021 atmospheric river week and it was still around 3M

Also you just need to check the PA reports on Nov 2021, with tons of pics of fish being caught and reports of not terrible high water conditions and in fact better fishing than average at the same week report that mentions of "catastrophic" outcomes in the C/V

https://www.pacificangler.ca/pacific-angler-friday-fishing-report-november-26-2021/

https://www.pacificangler.ca/pacific-angler-friday-fishing-report-november-192021/

Also I don't recall any damage or floods in the Squamish valley at all. I agree high water events can cause impacts to pink salmon returns but is still up for debate if the November 2021 atmospheric rivers caused noticeable issues on that system. I guess time will tell
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 03:09:39 PM by coastangler »
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2023, 08:32:34 AM »

Actually that is not correct. The spill was on Aug 5th before the main run of pinks had arrived in the Cheakamus. There were considerable amounts of pinks that showed up post spill. The spill was very hard on sculpins, juvenile trout ( steelhead), coho and chinook juveniles and aquatic insects. Adult chinook and pinks in the river at the time were also hard hit. Chum adults were not effected at all as they arrive later in the fall. The groundwater side channels also provided significant refuge for coho juveniles

OK thanks! I do recall that virtually all the river life was wiped out. Ialso recall it was closed to fishing for pinks (in the chuck as well) in following years.

Also I was wondering if you have any insight on why the pink returns have been low the last few cycles in the Squamish system? Most of what I have read it was high water and gravel movements in the river itself that are thought to have been the main culprits. Has the Cheakamus largely not been as affected?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 08:53:49 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2023, 12:14:08 PM »

Squamish pink returns have been low the last few cycles due to high water and gravel movement events. The 2021 flood event in the valley kind of missed Squamish to a degree but we still had gravel movement after that. One of the saving graces for pinks on the system is that there is a bunch of protected habitats in the watershed that pinks use that are spared the worst of the flood events. That is the safety net for the species. If we can go thru a winter without a really significant high water then pinks should due OK as long as ocean conditions are "normal".

redside1

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2023, 05:07:49 PM »

So far all the guides and rec saltwater anglers I know are not seeing many if any pinks around Bowen Island. It’s starting to get late for it to be good and most likely will be a poor season at this point. Very rarely does a good return show up late.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2023, 07:22:46 PM »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2023, 08:40:29 PM »

caught today on the fly? That's a beautiful picture
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2023, 08:59:01 PM »

a couple of those fish  sure look anemic! I am sure the beach will overfill with anglers within a day or so. Smart pic!  ;D

Old Blue

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2023, 09:01:01 PM »

Looks like my Crystal Meth pattern ;)

Old Blue

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2023, 09:03:43 PM »

So far all the guides and rec saltwater anglers I know are not seeing many if any pinks around Bowen Island. It’s starting to get late for it to be good and most likely will be a poor season at this point. Very rarely does a good return show up late.

Not true as far as catches off Bowen but it's not like they've been thick compared to the coho fishing there.  They typically don't stage off Bowen either as far as my experience.