Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coarse fishing  (Read 2181 times)

someone

Coarse fishing
« on: March 13, 2023, 02:46:37 PM »

Hello all,

Does anyone go coarse fishing during March and April month? As I understand summer time is best, but wanted to know if there are still any coarse fishing opportunities in lower mainland.
I am interested in striped sea perch, greenling, whitefish (not pikeminnow as I have been told many species are often categorized as whitefish, I tried fraser river for whitefish but no luck there too) etc

I did try ambleside with no luck, maybe will try cates park next time. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions/tips.

Thank you

Jelly_

Re: Coarse fishing
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 02:49:29 PM »

I would start around may

someone

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 02:52:17 PM »

Thanks, So not much these two months......sigh

Jelly_

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 03:05:23 PM »

lakes have been stocked with trout; you could go for them if you like

someone

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 03:25:47 PM »

Ya I did try lake rainbows and they have a muddy taste, not something I like.......or maybe I am a bad cook

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 03:31:56 PM »

we used to start catching chub around Fort Langley in late April or early May before the freshet really started. pea mouth chub are the species that are often confused with whitefish. Some perch are near the mouth and can be fished off some of the piers. I have never seen them from New Westminster and upstream nor have I ever heard of greenling in the river. Sculpins were always the most common fish I caught. I caught the odd carp near slough mouths. once the water dropped and got clearer in fall, say mid Sept to early October coarse fish weren't so common which was good because we'd use worms and eggs for trout and salmon - mostly coho jacks.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 06:13:41 PM »

Ya I did try lake rainbows and they have a muddy taste, not something I like.......or maybe I am a bad cook
try filleting the fish, put salt and lots of butter, in the oven for 20 m and if you don't enjoy that then I don't know what to tell you.. when you catch them bonk right away and keep in cold cleaning them quickly also helps
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

someone

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 06:50:23 PM »

we used to start catching chub around Fort Langley in late April or early May before the freshet really started. pea mouth chub are the species that are often confused with whitefish. Some perch are near the mouth and can be fished off some of the piers. I have never seen them from New Westminster and upstream nor have I ever heard of greenling in the river. Sculpins were always the most common fish I caught. I caught the odd carp near slough mouths. once the water dropped and got clearer in fall, say mid Sept to early October coarse fish weren't so common which was good because we'd use worms and eggs for trout and salmon - mostly coho jacks.

Thanks Ralph, Pier fishing is something I like, so will try Cates park next since Ambleside didnt produce much for me - Any other fishing piers other than ambleside and cates park?
Fishing is very different here (in BC) and im just getting a hang of it.

someone

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 06:55:02 PM »

try filleting the fish, put salt and lots of butter, in the oven for 20 m and if you don't enjoy that then I don't know what to tell you.. when you catch them bonk right away and keep in cold cleaning them quickly also helps

Thanks Darko, thats exactly what I did, bonked and bled the fish, got home, filleted right away and put salt, lemon, butter, pepper and garlic.....but still it tasted a bit weird, maybe its because of hatchery food, I tried different recipes too (this was last year)
perhaps its because I have had river rainbows before which has a hint of sweetness to its flesh and I liked that very much

Roderick

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 07:29:04 PM »

I used to get the occasional fish out of Rice Lake that had taken on a kind of bronzy colour, presumably from having been in the lake for several months.  The meat was pinkish and they were quite tasty. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 07:29:51 PM »

Thanks Ralph, Pier fishing is something I like, so will try Cates park next since Ambleside didnt produce much for me - Any other fishing piers other than ambleside and cates park?
Fishing is very different here (in BC) and im just getting a hang of it.
theres belcarra pier aswell, though saltwater pier fishing also is better in the summer.

Thanks Darko, thats exactly what I did, bonked and bled the fish, got home, filleted right away and put salt, lemon, butter, pepper and garlic.....but still it tasted a bit weird, maybe its because of hatchery food, I tried different recipes too (this was last year)
perhaps its because I have had river rainbows before which has a hint of sweetness to its flesh and I liked that very much
Odd cant say myself I've experienced that, I usually have some bread, salad, potatoes, if push comes to shove get some chipotle sauce or spicy mayo. Might sound weird with trout but its good I cant lie.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 10:03:58 PM »

there is a pier at Fraser River Park off South Marine Drive in Marpole. I have seen small striped perch caught there.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Jelly_

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 11:18:13 PM »

there is a pier at Fraser River Park off South Marine Drive in Marpole. I have seen small striped perch caught there.
are you talking about the fraser river dog park?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2023, 06:37:10 AM »

west of Granville, North Arm

4x4

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2023, 07:08:06 AM »

Harrison and Stave have Whitefish in winter and spring.