Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts on this garage sale haul? What to do with these flies..  (Read 1828 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Thoughts on this garage sale haul? What to do with these flies..
« on: February 28, 2023, 12:25:46 PM »

I got a bunch of stuff from a garage sale for 220$ Let me know what you think. I am planning on using the shimano stimulus as a spincasting rod for salmon and steelhead and using the diawa sensor as a centrepin rod, the reel seat is adjustable. My plan is to get one of those amazon centrepins and upgrade them with better bearings and fix other common issues with them. I also got a Stradic 4000FH and Quantum Energy PTi30. A bunch of hooks, lures and flies. I have a fly rod but I would really appreciate if someone could help me identify the flies and help me figure when I should use them..
Images below...
Lmk if they are hard to see I can try to upload a higher quality

if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Thoughts on this garage sale haul? What to do with these flies..
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 04:31:05 PM »

In the top box it looks like you have a bunch of wooly buggers, mostly black and olive. https://www.flytyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/beginner-opener-1.jpg

Also a couple of wooly worms - black body, grizzly hackle and short fluffy red/orange tail. muddlers maybe& some leeches

Second ( lower ) box are Tomb Thumbs, Doc Spratelys, a couple of big black marabou leeches and 1 or 2 that look like Carey specials

the 4 on the right with the iridescent wing material which is peacock sword may be Alexandras. Hard to tell but they appear to have thin bodies - if it's a silver tinsel  body that's what they'd be. It's an  old English wet fly and was popular in BC up until the 70s. Looks like a minnow or stickleback.

These flies look large compared to what  mostly gets used today and most were popular 2 generations ago and falling into disuse.The wooly bugger is the most popular fresh water fly in the world and in BC will catch almost anything  in fresh water from bass to steelhead and salmon. I caught a pike on one in Ontario once. The leeches and careys are good trolling flies. The Tom Thum a dry fly and was supposed to look a like a travelling sedge a fly that hatches in June on many of the interior lakes.

https://www.bcoutdoorsmagazine.com/old-school-flies-the-carey-special/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_(wet_fly)

https://loonsflyfishingclub.ca/patterns/favourites/tom-thumb/

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 08:43:38 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 04:40:45 PM »

In the top box it looks like you have a bunch of wooly buggers, mostly black and olive. https://www.flytyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/beginner-opener-1.jpg

Also a couple of wooly worms - black body, grizzly hackle and short fluffy red/orange tail. muddlers maybe& some leeches

Second ( lower ) box are Tomb Thumbs, Doc Spratelys, a couple of big black marabou leeches and 1 or 2 that look like Carey specials

the 4 on the right with the iridescent wing material may be Alexandrias. Hard to tell but they appear to have thin bodies - if it's a silver tinsel  body that's what they'd be. It's an  old English wet fly and was popular in BC up until the 70s. Looks like a minnow or stickleback.

These flies look large compared to what  mostly gets used today and most were popular 2 generations ago and falling into disuse.The wooly bugger is the most popular fresh water fly in the world and in BC will catch almost anything  in fresh water from bass to steelhead and salmon. I caught a pike on one in Ontario once. The leeches and careys are good trolling flies. The Tom Thum a dry fly and was supposed to look a like a travelling sedge a fly that hatches in June on many of the interior lakes.

Hope that helps.
Definitely does! Thank you very much. Your knowledge on flies always impresses me. Im gonna have to label these buggers!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 07:02:56 PM »

Nicely done Ralph :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 04:45:06 PM »

Definitely does! Thank you very much. Your knowledge on flies always impresses me. Im gonna have to label these buggers!

You're welcome. I am more than happy to help, anytime.

I didn't look too closely at the other tackle but overall that looks like a good haul though I couldn't tell you if it is worth what you paid. As long as it seem like a good value to you then all is well. Is that a centre-pin rod with the sliding handles?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 05:07:19 PM »

You're welcome. I am more than happy to help, anytime.

I didn't look too closely at the other tackle but overall that looks like a good haul though I couldn't tell you if it is worth what you paid. As long as it seem like a good value to you then all is well. Is that a centre-pin rod with the sliding handles?
yes! spinning rod with sliding handles I plan to use with my first centrepin.
20 gibbs spoons, 5 jigs, hundreds of quality salmon hooks and other terminal tackle.. I was very happy, just to get a centrepin now.

Clipped.Adipose

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 05:38:22 PM »

I bought one of those Amazon centerpins and swapped out the bearings. I spins and fishes very well now. I’ve used it a few times when I’m bored and want to fish something different. I will say the gaps are too big between the spool and the back plate. I put a few dabs of paint around the perimeter to fill and now the line doesn’t get stuck in there. If you haven’t picked one yet the larger ones are better than the smaller ones

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 06:06:39 PM »

I bought one of those Amazon centerpins and swapped out the bearings. I spins and fishes very well now. I’ve used it a few times when I’m bored and want to fish something different. I will say the gaps are too big between the spool and the back plate. I put a few dabs of paint around the perimeter to fill and now the line doesn’t get stuck in there. If you haven’t picked one yet the larger ones are better than the smaller ones
thank you for your advice! that's exactly what I was planning on doing unless somebody offers me a good deal on a centrepin for like 100$. I think the upgrade route will definitely be fun and I hope for a good result.