Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley stocked lake fishing in the winter  (Read 4787 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley stocked lake fishing in the winter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2023, 09:35:33 PM »

No worries, thank you. I'm not that concerned when people talk about spots being exposed etc, just slightly annoyed. There are many other things to focus on. For example, I'm excited that this year, the lake which this video featured on ;) will be getting a new, and much better floating dock (like the ones seen at Lundbom, Harmon, Marquart, etc). There will also be a new lake in the Fraser Valley added to the stocking program, size and location similar to this one. There's ongoing dialogue behind the scene to improve access for angler at Weaver Lake. Parking and shore access is an issue there. There's talk going on to get access to Hicks opened up earlier than the current scheduled date (late April). I think it should be the start of spring break the latest, lots of good trout fishing opportunities there for families. Yeah, people see one video showing a lake being advertised, but it's just the tip of the iceberg on what's actually happening to make angling more accessible.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2023, 09:21:55 PM »

didn't get to delete those comments fast enough for Mr snoopy (me) to not see  ;)
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2023, 10:59:43 PM »

didn't get to delete those comments fast enough for Mr snoopy (me) to not see  ;).

That's ok, it racks up the views. 8)

Actually if you DM'ed me, I'd just tell you where it is anyway lol, so you can go stand next to wiseguy. 🤣

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2023, 12:03:10 AM »

Actually if you DM'ed me, I'd just tell you where it is anyway lol, so you can go stand next to wiseguy. 🤣
;D love it

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2023, 11:37:22 AM »

Ha ha ha. Very funny. I won’t be standing there. If he goes in early spring he can fly fish beside me in my float tube.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 11:40:59 AM by Wiseguy »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2023, 11:41:03 AM »

Float tube! Just don't go the day after I put out the next episode lol.... ;D

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 11:50:39 AM »

LOL!😀

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2023, 12:24:40 PM »

Float tube! Just don't go the day after I put out the next episode lol.... ;D

"Where's Wiseguy", instead of where's Waldo   ::)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2023, 12:55:03 PM »

most of those guys will stop going after a trip or two once they catch nothing other than a chill.

true for most areas, the ones that remain shoulder to shoulder are the ones that continue to produce.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2023, 03:43:17 PM »

No worries, thank you. I'm not that concerned when people talk about spots being exposed etc, just slightly annoyed. There are many other things to focus on. For example, I'm excited that this year, the lake which this video featured on ;) will be getting a new, and much better floating dock (like the ones seen at Lundbom, Harmon, Marquart, etc). There will also be a new lake in the Fraser Valley added to the stocking program, size and location similar to this one. There's ongoing dialogue behind the scene to improve access for angler at Weaver Lake. Parking and shore access is an issue there. There's talk going on to get access to Hicks opened up earlier than the current scheduled date (late April). I think it should be the start of spring break the latest, lots of good trout fishing opportunities there for families. Yeah, people see one video showing a lake being advertised, but it's just the tip of the iceberg on what's actually happening to make angling more accessible.

which lake :O

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2023, 03:48:02 PM »

I wonder if anyone had a pee :o in the water?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2023, 03:50:32 PM »

I'm sure people pee in the pool all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S32y9aYEzzo

Tylsie

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2023, 04:07:27 PM »

I find this debate interesting. I moved to the Cariboo two years ago so have no dog in a fight about trout lakes in the Fraser Valley but what is the point in keeping the secret? If it's stocked it will be FFSBC site. The only really reason these fish exist is to be caught; they can't reproduce. There is no conservation concern like there is with salmon. If a lake has 20 people on the shore catching these trout that is a good thing, no?

Now the lakes that aren't stocked but still maintain a wild trout population shouldn't be discussed; but a stocked lake with a public fishing dock? Explain to me the concern please?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2023, 05:58:29 PM »

For some people, including me the value of fishing is inversely proportional to the number of people taking part  at any particular place and time. Then there is a little fact that while this little lake, well tiny really, is not a secret, it has had the reputation of producing the odd trout every few years that weighed 2 or 3 lbs or more. Best I recall it had quite a population of daphnia. As did  Mill Lake once and produced some nice size trout up to 3 to 5lbs back in the 60s. It's not stocked with a lot of fish, hundreds and it doesn't take much pressure to "fish it out". Some people appreciate a lake like that and prefer not too many people know about it.

Then there are people who have made a life style & even some money on providing some "fishing education" on how to and where.

These are separate paths and are to some extent mutually exclusive. Neither is right or wrong in any fundamental sense. Those on the former path understand that part of their strategy is to keep their mouths shut as well of the mouths of their friends. They also under rate their success they have and sometimes downright lie about it & the how and where. It's a code! Some get offended when others don't follow the code. Others know if they wait most of the newbies will be disappointed in how challenging it can be and disappear, possibly into an alternate universe.
In my view the Province does very little to provide much in the way of quality stillwater fishing  on the lower mainland.  I know a little lake not much bigger than the one featured in the video. It also was known to produce some nice trout over 2 pounds. Chubby ones at that. It hasn't been stocked for over 30 years for reasons of public safety. Odd thing is that hundreds more people swim and sun bath there come summertime than fish it spring and fall.

BTW winter fishing in the lakes of the Fraser Valley and Island is no secret and has gotten mentioned from time to time as long as i have been fishing. Most don't do it much because the fishing is often slow and the weather often cold. Fish in bigger and deeper lakes often hold off shore in deep water and are hard to reach.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 06:00:03 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2023, 07:24:50 PM »

I'm sure people pee in the pool all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S32y9aYEzzo
this is why I don't like going to the local indoor pool with my friends.. if you think about it, you are sitting in a hot tub with strangers all sweating in there and some even peeing and I'm sitting in that ... and and top off that there's always that obese dude sweating like a duck  :o