Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I find a slow leak in a bootie  (Read 2002 times)

norm_2

How do I find a slow leak in a bootie
« on: February 06, 2023, 08:01:41 PM »

A year ago, I put it under water and I could not see bubbles.  Months ago, I aquasealed all the bootie seams with a thick layer so the seals should be ok.  Then the leak came back.  Recently, I turned it inside out and filled the bootie with water and it is wet but I cannot find the source(s).  Any ideas on what to try next?  I only use the waders a dozen times a year and it is 5 plus years old.  Now at the end of a full day, there may be a few tablespoons of water.

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: How do I find a slow leak in a bootie
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 09:15:36 PM »

The flashlight trick might work, but maybe not for a slow seeping leak...

In a completely darkened space, put a a bright light inside the bootie see where any light leaks out.

wallygator24

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 10:20:03 PM »

I just sent my waders back to simms for that same reason.  Sometimes the neoprene booties just wears out and you have to replace them.  I could not find the leak either.  Even filled up the bootie with water but could not find the leak.  Simms replaced the booties on my waders for a fee of $60.00.  Also, if you don't want wet feet, you can always wear neoprene socks, that way even if your booties leak, your feet should remain dry and you might get some more time on the river that way.  Just a suggestion. 

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 10:28:40 PM »

I just sent my waders back to simms for that same reason.  Sometimes the neoprene booties just wears out and you have to replace them.  I could not find the leak either.  Even filled up the bootie with water but could not find the leak.  Simms replaced the booties on my waders for a fee of $60.00.  Also, if you don't want wet feet, you can always wear neoprene socks, that way even if your booties leak, your feet should remain dry and you might get some more time on the river that way.  Just a suggestion.

I swear the booties on my waders have more Aquaseal than neoprene! I've often thought about sending them back to get replaced. Was that $60 bucks USD for both booties? What was the cost of return shipping? What was the turnaround time for Simms to make the repair? Thx
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 10:46:59 PM by clarki »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 06:52:34 AM »

For neoprene booties I usually invert the waders and put them on so in the inside is outside. Fill a bathtub with water and put the waders on. Stand in the tub for a few minutes or until you can feel any dampness. Get out of water, empty tub and dry your hands. Turn the wader back and examine the suspect boot for sign of wetness. Circle any dark wet areas with a permanent felt marker. let dry and apply a think coat of aquaseal.

Another method is to seal off the leg to trap air in the lower leg. Spray soapy water on the bootie. Apply pressure above and look for bubbles.

For gore tex. Mist the inside with isopropyl. Look for dark spots. apply Aquaseal inside of the dark spots.

You may also be experiencing condensation build up.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 07:17:54 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wallygator24

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 09:24:43 PM »

Simms charges a $60.00 fee for both booties.  Also, if the waders have a leak they'll take care of that too for that same price.  So, $60 dollar U.S. goes a long ways.  The turn around time is between three to four weeks but they will fix your waders right.  The fee includes shipping them back to you.
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 09:26:28 PM by wallygator24 »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 09:16:21 AM »

Simms charges a $60.00 fee for both booties.  Also, if the waders have a leak they'll take care of that too for that same price.  So, $60 dollar U.S. goes a long ways.  The turn around time is between three to four weeks but they will fix your waders right.  The fee includes shipping them back to you.
Hope this helps.

Very much helps, thanks. The price and turnaround is much better than expected.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 01:19:08 PM »

Anyone tried coolant tracer dye?  It's for automotive application to find leaks in coolant but don't see why it wouldn't work for this...

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 01:49:42 PM »

Hope this helps.
sounds this this would save lots of time and headaches, anyone know of any local services that do the same?
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 04:20:35 PM »

No one does this locally afaik.. Simms only does this for their Goretex waders. Patagonia will repair and recondition theirs. Anybody know about Orvis or Reddinton?   
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 05:21:11 PM »

Very much helps, thanks. The price and turnaround is much better than expected.

I sent my Simms waders back for repair years ago through Sea-Run. Took a couple of months but Simms cleaned them, fixed the zipper, and (pleasant surprise) cut the worn neoprene boots off and stitched on new ones! The original booties didn't even leak! Simms didn't charge for any of it, even though they were several years old. I was super impressed!

Even paying $60 seems well worth it, especially when shipping is included.

TNAngler

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 07:40:51 AM »

Seems sending them back is a good option.  If you have access to an air compressor, you might fill the leg with water, seal off the leg with the compressor hose in there and add in some compressed air.  It could be that they only leak under a little bit of pressure and the little bit of water you are putting in there isn't enough to make it obvious.

I'd be sending them in though for that cost.

4x4

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 08:28:47 AM »

I've always repaired my own waders. It fairly easy.

Aqua Seal and a Shop Vac. Blow air into the leg. Put wader in a sink. Find the bubbles and mark the holes with a coloured marker. Let waders dry in and out. Aqua Seal in and out.