Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano  (Read 10021 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Capilano
« on: September 28, 2022, 12:04:02 PM »

Has anyone been to the cap recently? I went a couple times in late july but the fish were extremely tight lipped. Ive been tracking the dam and they havent opened it in a long time. Does anyone know why and when they release it? Is it when the water levels get too high in the lake?. I cant imagine that there's barely any fish entering ie new chinook and coho even though the water is low.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 12:54:03 PM »

Wait for the fall rain

coastangler

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 02:32:48 PM »

I went a couple times in late july but the fish were extremely tight lipped.

It usually takes me about 5 outings to bring home a single Coho in the summer run, and even though I've done it for years I still cannot have consistent numbers. Some days I get to the pool on first light and I can swear that I'm the first angler there, approach the bank with stealth and ducking... and is crazy that those fish won't take my flies/eggs/spinners. Extremely frustrating but when you get rewarded is amazing. With regards to the fall run, is a bit more unpredictable but if you get really lucky (rain + push of fresh fish + no people) it can be good, just need to put the time! Just be careful if you hike around. Cliffs are steep and treacherous, and of course water levels can fluctuate during heavy rains so ensure you always have a escape route
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 05:01:45 PM »

Wait for the fall rain
I have been waiting for the last 3 weeks and am worried this rain may come third week of october.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 05:07:17 PM »

It usually takes me about 5 outings to bring home a single Coho in the summer run, and even though I've done it for years I still cannot have consistent numbers. Some days I get to the pool on first light and I can swear that I'm the first angler there, approach the bank with stealth and ducking... and is crazy that those fish won't take my flies/eggs/spinners. Extremely frustrating but when you get rewarded is amazing. With regards to the fall run, is a bit more unpredictable but if you get really lucky (rain + push of fresh fish + no people) it can be good, just need to put the time! Just be careful if you hike around. Cliffs are steep and treacherous, and of course water levels can fluctuate during heavy rains so ensure you always have a escape route
thanks for the advice. Do you know what tends to be the migration cycles? Do the spring tend to come in first during the fall or the coho?

coastangler

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 05:38:46 PM »

thanks for the advice. Do you know what tends to be the migration cycles? Do the spring tend to come in first during the fall or the coho?

Based on my notes from past years, Sept 25th-Oct 10th is go time for Chinook and after Oct 15th towards end of November I've consistently encountered Coho.
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 11:11:46 AM »

I have been waiting for the last 3 weeks and am worried this rain may come third week of october.

crazy how there is zero rain in the 14 day forecast

Phronesis

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 11:31:52 AM »

crazy how there is zero rain in the 14 day forecast

Exactly...and its really warm for this time of the year, this is going to be the norm I suppose or maybe worse

Phronesis

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 11:33:37 AM »

Has anyone been to the cap recently? I went a couple times in late july but the fish were extremely tight lipped. Ive been tracking the dam and they havent opened it in a long time. Does anyone know why and when they release it? Is it when the water levels get too high in the lake?. I cant imagine that there's barely any fish entering ie new chinook and coho even though the water is low.

Never had success on the capilano ........ I just stopped going there lol

dobrolub

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2022, 02:38:47 PM »

Need rain - no fish can enter when the water is so low.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 03:06:38 PM »

Need rain - no fish can enter when the water is so low.
they can't enter? unless the mouth is 100% dry how can it be that they cannot enter. If it is true then can I expect to go to the cap mouth and see thousands of fish sitting there waiting for rain. This would then mean they have been waiting and might be hungry. Maybe then they will be anxious to bite my lures  ;D If this fantasy of mine was true I would definitely be heading there instead of the vedder! Assuming fishing from shore as I do not have a 40,000$ boat. Maybe my inflatable will do  ::)

canucksfan233

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 03:15:54 PM »

Fish physically can't move up the river with no water coming out of dam. Ambleside has a lot of jumpers in the salt and can easily cast from shore with a buzzbomb, spoon or carolina rig setup.

dobrolub

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 05:54:27 PM »

This would then mean they have been waiting and might be hungry. Maybe then they will be anxious to bite my lures  ;D

You should take a trip to Capilano and see that whatever fish does enter ends up in the nets of the FNs who blocked the river with weirs. So yea, no fish makes it past the Marine Dr. bridge for sure.

Roderick

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 06:05:03 PM »

Right now the river is so low that there are places where you can literally cross the river without getting your feet wet by hopping from rock to rock.

The FN set up a rock weir every year at the high tide mark that stops the fish going upstream in the summer when the river is low.  Right now there are many fish jumping around close to shore near the mouth.  Last time I was there those jumpers were looking a little dark and were not biting.  20+ guys on the shore and I saw 1 fish caught and it was wild. Good fishing but not much catching.  Lots of boats targeting the springs in deep water where the tidal current is strong.

When it rains and the river goes up to above 1.2m on the graph, the weir gets washed out and the fish can enter the river.  Wait for the rain.
You shoulda been here yesterday.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2022, 06:06:38 PM »

some obstacles. not sure if they would be up this late in the season..

https://youtu.be/FpyCFAQe_Ao

https://youtu.be/iuseR1aYsDc