Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Port Alberni Chinook  (Read 2329 times)

Chum Slayer

Port Alberni Chinook
« on: August 23, 2022, 03:46:24 PM »

Just came back from a trip to Port Alberni. We arrived on the 18th and left today.

Port Alberni is one of my favorite fisheries in all of BC for chinook salmon. It doesn't matter what type of boat you have or gear as long as you have a downrigger and a rod you can get some of the best chinook fishing in BC. I recommend this fishery to anyone new to saltwater salmon fishing, the water is calm during the morning and with little wind it can make for a very enjoyable experience. Especially if you are taking out a small boat or family members. Next year I might bring my lake boat for some sockeye fishing.

Anyway the fishing is pretty good around Lone Tree, China Creek and Coulsons. Both I and my father got three chinook each with the biggest being about 17 pounds and the smallest just under twelve, the ticket for the trip was hoochies around 70 feet. The fishery can turn into a gong show at some places however I found most of our success around the edges of the said gong shows.

jim

Re: Port Alberni Chinook
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 12:38:55 PM »

I was there with my buddy Harry, 21st to 24th. We left with the same amount of fish. Bait was our ticket, herring, small and large anchovies. We gave our bait away to an angler who had just arrived, and got a thank you and a big smile from him.
 a stellar sea lion showed up one afternoon, started stealing peeps fish, we were warned and stayed away from it.
We got away without using flashers. I might try a white hoochie @ 70' next time.