Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing an East Kootenay stream  (Read 3150 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Fishing an East Kootenay stream
« on: September 10, 2022, 03:27:01 PM »

I’ve gotten into blogging recently. I’ve always enjoyed writing and a blog is a good vehicle for words and pictures.

I just wrote about a recent (Aug 17-21) fishing trip to a small stream in the East Kootenay region.

https://idigbigcutts.blogspot.com/?m=1

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing an East Kootenay stream
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 06:37:34 PM »

+1 Thanks for sharing!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 11:18:34 AM »

sounds like someone has developed "an addiction"! ;D

The large stonefly husks may have been there for 6 to 8 weeks. Most large species hatch in late spring or early summer & the shucks that stick to the rocks will sit there until a spate of water washes them off. Largish dry flies are often good attractors that will induce a rise. Good ones are stimulators , which imitate stoneflies and Royal Wulffs. I think I have posted recipes for both in the Flyfishing Cafe page.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 07:50:16 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

salmonrook

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 11:31:34 PM »

Great Story
Thanks for the sharing and the pics
Thats some of the most satisfying fishing you can do .

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 08:26:43 AM »

+1 Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure!

sounds like someone has developed "an addiction"! ;D

The large stonefly husks may have been there for 6 to 8 weeks. Most large species hatch in late spring or early summer & the shucks that stick to the rocks will sit there until a spate of water washes them off. Largish dry flies are often good attractors that will induce a rise. Good ones are stimulators , which imitate stoneflies and Royal Wulffs. I think I have posted recipes for both in the Flyfishing Cafe page.
“Addiction” is a strong word. Let’s just say I really dig it!
While I am on a learning curve for understanding and imitating bugs in moving waters, I think these shucks are a lot more recent that 6-8 weeks ago. I read accounts of golden stone hatches in the region just 1-2 weeks prior to our trip. The author said that the hatch was delayed due to late runoff. Additionally, the shucks on the rock were right at the waters edge. That rock was underwater not that long ago.
I fished a stimulator for a fair bit the first day. I was thinking along the lines you suggest: a bigger dry fly and one that might remind the fish of a recent hatch. My hook up ratio on the commercially tied stimulator was low and it seemed to me that the hook gape on the fly was too small. I then started fishing with larger parachute Adams and elk hair caddis patterns, whose hook I liked better, and my catch ratio improved. But yeah, a stimulator was the first fly I turned to when I thought that something bigger and bushier was in order.

Great Story
Thanks for the sharing and the pics
Thats some of the most satisfying fishing you can do .
It really is quite satisfying: stunning scenery, and streams with beautiful wild native trout that you have to put in some effort for. I like river river walking, reading the water and being thoughtful about my approach.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 10:41:32 AM »

I wasn't there so don't know exactly. My points;  the shucks can be there for several weeks or even months; attractor dry flies can be very effective way to rise trout to the surface when there isn't much of a hatch or even when there is.  Trout usually are not fixated on a specific food item. They are opportunistic. A large colorful fly will often get their attention.  A stone fly nymph in reduced sizes relative to the adult is a good fly in any stream with a stone fly population.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 02:37:56 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 01:08:30 PM »

Thanks. A good reminder to not get so hung up on representative patterns

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 08:19:41 PM »

Great report!

coastangler

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 04:22:53 PM »

Nice post - thanks for sharing! I fished that area a few years ago and it was really good. We even had kokanees biting our flies in the rivers which I though was unusual since I believe they spawn there. Are your boots waterproof? They look comfy
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 09:17:11 PM »

Nice post - thanks for sharing! I fished that area a few years ago and it was really good. We even had kokanees biting our flies in the rivers which I though was unusual since I believe they spawn there. Are your boots waterproof? They look comfy
No, not waterproof. They are the Simms Flyweight wading boot. I paired it with a neoprene wading sock, so while not waterproof, my feet stay warm. Really comfy and lightweight boot. Barely notice them after a day of river walking.