Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67402 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Not a bad morning.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Chum is open now eh? That’s bad news with these extreme low water conditions. The slaughter will continue unfortunately and now Chum is added to the mix. Sad news indeed.

Dave

• Old Timer

Chum is open now eh? That’s bad news with these extreme low water conditions. The slaughter will continue unfortunately and now Chum is added to the mix. Sad news indeed.
Totally agree, the chums should have been left for eagle food; there's more than enough coho and chinooks for this fishery.  <900,000, my God but we're setting the bar lower every few years!  Lower mainland and coastal rivers should have total chum returns in the millions.

BNF861

• Old Timer

Definitely agree Dave. I'm sure the occasional chum gets eaten and if fresh enough is fine but I can't help but think the majority that are retained are not of eating quality and anglers after the roe for bait and then toss the fish or give away to someone that doesn't know any better between the salmon species. As you said, plenty of other chinook/coho opportunities.

Phronesis

Now since artificial beads work great, hope that the demand for roe should be low.... Right? Or do people harvest roe for any other reasons?

Darko

• Old Timer

Now since artificial beads work great, hope that the demand for roe should be low.... Right? Or do people harvest roe for any other reasons?
Many still do, they use it for barfishing, trout fishing ect. Many eat it either baked or made into caviar ect.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

avid angler

Nothing wrong with using roe as bait as long as the whole fish is used. Especially if the eggs are harvested from a hatchery fishery. Beads also wouldn’t be as effective if every single guy out there was using them.

clarki

• Old Timer

Add my name to the list of those not wanting chum to be open to retention.

This summer for sockeye, and this fall for coho and chinook, anyone who wants to catch a salmon for the table has had ample opportunity.

We don’t need to catch and eat every salmon in the the river.

With the compounding effects of climate change, habitat loss and ocean conditions, it’s Ok to let as many chum as possible fertilize the rivers and forests and feed the eagles, bears, cutthroat and a multitude of other species in the food web.

As a compromise maybe only open the Stave and C/V to retention.

coastangler

Agreed clarki, also I'm not sure why they don't apply the same rule that the Chehalis has (no retention after Dec 1st, although this should be no fishing) to all other rivers to at least protect the last spawners from stress. What's the point on allowing these fish being hammered until the very end?
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

iblly

• Old Timer

Gillnet boats in new west harbour right now. Fishing chum I would assume.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

hey I remember what fishing the Stave was like when there was no fishing for chum anywhere in non tidal water!  ;D

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Chum Slayer

I was out today, after hiking a little bit I found a nice spot with coho,chum and steelhead smolts. After watching the fish swim around for a little bit, I casted my gibbs croc out, after a few hours 11 am to 2:30 pm I had one bite from a coho, one from a chum and had a buck chum follow my spoon. Anyway, I left empty-handed with no fish. however, I did pay a visit to the canal gong show and counted 120 cars in total, with nobody bringing any fish back to their cars except one young guy who brought back a chum with a white belly. Also, on a side note, I think chum should be open to catch and release fishing this year and for the next 8 or until they get back to the run numbers of the 1990's.

fic

• Old Timer

Anyone know why you can retain 2 chums at the Stave River but 1 on the Vedder?  Why not 1 chum on both rivers? 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

the Harrison and Nicomen also have a limit of 2 chum.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.