Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67395 times)

Phronesis

you can't

the red hue is the fish turning into a tomato regardless of being a white or red spring

So what I have observed is white springs turn a bit green and red springs turn red........is that not true? white spring can turn red too?

SuperBobby

So what I have observed is white springs turn a bit green and red springs turn red........is that not true? white spring can turn red too?

Any spring that I've seen turn red is either red meat or marble meat....but anything is possible.
What is really cool is that some white springs turn this magnificent golden color. When the morning sun hits the fish when you have it at the shoreline, it really is a sight to see.

Phronesis

Check out this video from Petr, he shows red springs having a different head shape.
https://youtu.be/kBtOSeJnshw

Thanks, the video shows mature fish, I have seen big thick fish that looks like white but turned out nice red meat instead

Phronesis

Any spring that I've seen turn red is either red meat or marble meat....but anything is possible.
What is really cool is that some white springs turn this magnificent golden color. When the morning sun hits the fish when you have it at the shoreline, it really is a sight to see.
For a sec I thought you were talking about some new weird salmon species with golden color lol ............... They do fight really good

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Interesting video but I wish Peter tone down the sound of the water. Very difficult to listen to what he's saying.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I returned to the same spot this morning thinking we'd have a repeat of yesterday, but it was night and day. 🤣

Beside missing three solid float downs, nothing was happening, no fish were showing up, leave twenty or so anglers who all showed up for the same show disappointed lol. I ended up hooking this chinook salmon at around 11am.

bj23

Interesting video but I wish Peter tone down the sound of the water. Very difficult to listen to what he's saying.

I find it easier to understand Petr when I adjust my hearing aid to the 'shower' mode.

armytruck

• Old Timer

I find it easier to understand Petr when I adjust my hearing aid to the 'shower' mode.
🤣
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Made my first trip to the Vedder this morning. As Rod and others have noted, lots of fish. Sad to see none of the fishermen at the run I was at was marking their licence after landing their chinooks.

Darko

• Old Timer

Made my first trip to the Vedder this morning. As Rod and others have noted, lots of fish. Sad to see none of the fishermen at the run I was at was marking their licence after landing their chinooks.
this is something I noticed aswell
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

fic

• Old Timer

People fishing around me were marking chinooks. Some are misidentifying chums and bonking. When people told them, they released the fish that may not survive the hit.

Darko

• Old Timer

People fishing around me were marking chinooks. Some are misidentifying chums and bonking. When people told them, they released the fish that may not survive the hit.
they definitely know... if you don't know what a chum looks like you should not be salmon fishing.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

clarki

• Old Timer

Fished the mid river yesterday with another board member (who shall remain nameless unless he choses to out himself.)  :)

This was my first time fishing the river since last fall and it was jaw-dropping to walk the river and marvel at the changes that had occurred since the flood event last November: forests missing, massive log jams, mountains of sediment and dry river channels.  Amazing...

We agreed this was going to be an exploratory trip and hopefully we'd find some suitable water...and a fish or two.

In the end, we found some suitable water (including some juicy bits that would be cracking after some rain) and some agreeable fish. I landed three chinook (one on a #2 spinner and two on jigs) and lost a coho on a jig, while my fishing partner lost two coho on spinners. It was also fun to watch the juvenile steelhead rising to a hatch of mayflies.

All in all, a very nice day on the river. By putting some miles on the boots you can get away from the crowds and have some good fishing too.