Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67431 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Props to your dad to be out fishing by himself at age 85!

Yeah it's a little crazy. We insist that he cannot go out on his own but he still does it once awhile. The good thing about the Vedder being so busy is that quite often I would get a message or two from people fishing near him, telling me that how he's doing.

clarki

• Old Timer

i think we've just been given a glimpse into the future of your and Elliot's relationship. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Well, my kids aren't really that interested in fishing, for now... so I might just be placed in a home. ;D

Today we went back to the same run, this time with the whole gang, Nina, parents, kids. Had the whole run to ourselves once again, and fish were rolling and finning. At one point I saw the brightest coho salmon surfacing, obviously new fish were coming through, but then they'd disappear after 30 minutes. During the 3 hours we were there, we caught NOTHING. Nina had two float downs, that was it. These fish are so awesome and awful haha... After two decades, I'm still trying to figure out the run timing during the day and what turns them on and off.

stsfisher

After two decades, I'm still trying to figure out the run timing during the day and what turns them on and off.

Good luck with that  Rod, I swear they have the same DNA as most wives on any given day  8)

Aki

Springs and cohos are starting to move through more, even with the clear and low water….they can’t wait forever! Had a great morning on Saturday with many fish landed (and most released)….coho are more skittish but springs are pretty aggressive….row worked well early in the morning for both springs and coho and then light gear and small beads once the sun was bright…hopefully it keeps up!

canucksfan233

Springs and cohos are starting to move through more, even with the clear and low water….they can’t wait forever! Had a great morning on Saturday with many fish landed (and most released)….coho are more skittish but springs are pretty aggressive….row worked well early in the morning for both springs and coho and then light gear and small beads once the sun was bright…hopefully it keeps up!

Hard or soft beads? Was using 8mm hard bead today and nothing :(

Darko

• Old Timer

yep I heard lots of fish entered today and yesterday. Guess I shouldve went salmon fishing instead of trout fishing! Thought I would not go to avoid the crowds but ended up avoiding the fish XD
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Aki

Small hard beads on the bait loop on the hook… 8lb leader and #4 hook…3 to 5 mm beads…

Aki

But other folks were using large soft beads from 12mm to over 20mm and getting hookups… mostly it’s finding the fish and providing something different for them to see…

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Fished a run in mid river this evening from 4pm until last light, and as expected there were hundreds of coho sitting in 2 to 4ft of water in front of us. Most of them were bright silver, looked to have just moved in since the last couple of days. Biters were hard to come by as expected too. In the end only hooked and landed one on the Prime Lure 2/5oz chartreuse glory spoon.

Phronesis

Yup, it was crazy yesterday, a lot of fish in the system.....lots of bite from spring and chum, but coho always manages to get off the hook.... Some colored springs.....few red springs too,

All those waiting for rain should just go now .....fish are definitely not waiting

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Just when you think the parade is over, they just keep on coming. 😉 After being lazy throughout the Thanksgiving long weekend by only fishing in the evening, I decided to get on the river bank for those first light bites. The morning didn't disappoint. In fact, it was the best morning so far. The first twenty minutes saw multiple coho salmon burying the float, but only a couple made it into the net. This was followed by a brief break, before hundreds of chinook salmon invaded the run and pushed out all the coho salmon. From mid morning until lunch, the bobber downs were constant as chinook salmon ranging between 5lb and 10lb grabbed onto our BnR Tackle 10mm soft beads whenever we put one in front of them. The fall chinook salmon run in Chilliwack River usually tapers off by early October, but we continue to see strong pushes. This could be due to a combination of the low river level, increased hatchery production, closures in the sea and the large high tide caused by the full moon.

Phronesis

Nice Spring Rod ! Quick question - how do you tell a difference between red and white spring when they are very chrome? like no red hue at all

vancook

• Old Timer

Nice Spring Rod ! Quick question - how do you tell a difference between red and white spring when they are very chrome? like no red hue at all
you can't

the red hue is the fish turning into a tomato regardless of being a white or red spring

Cyanescens

Check out this video from Petr, he shows red springs having a different head shape.
https://youtu.be/kBtOSeJnshw