Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67432 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Some big pushes of coho salmon in the lower river this week. These fish always amaze me. How did that many fish bypass a section of lower river where I have frequently fished and ended up in another section further up? ;D It literally happened overnight. Anyway, I caught the tail end of it before they all disappeared overnight, thinking that this morning was gonna be fantastic. A little leg work this afternoon found some more schools with no one around, so we managed to score a few bites.

Some photos.

Acrobatic chum salmon, a dog fight at the dog park.

Nina didn't get a chance to fish for all those silver chinook salmon earlier in the season, it was nice for her to get one this week even though it was already a bit coloured.

Another hatchery coho salmon on the 2/5oz chartreuse Prime Lure Glory Spoon.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

looks to me like the chum may be  foul hooked at the back top of the gill plate?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

Upper river was quiet. Tiny bite in the morning and lip locked soonafter. A change in the weather would help disperse the fish more but that does not seem to be happening for a while still. Looks like lower end is still your best bet for fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

That looks awfully crowded, plus no biters too, terrible lol.

Gotta go to where the fish are, and it's festive.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

looks to me like the chum may be  foul hooked at the back top of the gill plate?

No, the bead often slides up while the fish is on.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

No, the bead often slides up while the fish is on.

ah!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Chum Slayer

Just got back from Chilliwack fished near the new banter ice cream place, The river is too low for any reasonable amount of coho or springs to be in the river. Although some people are getting fish, very few of these fish are being hooked fairly today I saw many back hooked and tail hooked springs and coho retained. Everybody and their dog was flossing with beads or wool fishing 5 to 4 ft deep in 3/2 feet of water, even with all of the fish stacked up in these holes it wasn't even good flossing like it normally would be during the fall. Anyway, I went down to a tail out to fish and snagged one spring and lost two floats once I realized that I was snagging I went home. What really gets me annoyed is that nobody has the common sense to not fish during these conditions, even if they are hatchery fish they still deserve respect! I personally won't be fishing until we get a decent storm snagging fish isn't sporting.
This time last year it was much better numbers-wise, I would not be surprised if we get an extremely late run this year.

Chum slayer

Clarki Hunter

Upper river was quiet. Tiny bite in the morning and lip locked soonafter. A change in the weather would help disperse the fish more but that does not seem to be happening for a while still. Looks like lower end is still your best bet for fish.

Beautiful picture Dennis!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

BEWARE! So usually I receive anywhere from 50 to 150 messages in my inboxes per day throughout October and quite often you are sending me issues that others may need to be aware of. Here are two items which I received tonight and they need to be shared.

An angler had a good day catching and retaining several hatchery coho salmon today and when he returned to the parking lot at Fishermen's corner, two individuals were beside his vehicle and they had punched a hole in his fuel tank and were siphoning gas out. He proceeded to confront them and they took off, nearly hitting him in the process. Plate number and vehicle description were reported to the RCMP. Be vigilant on your and others' vehicles so everyone can have a good day out there.

Secondly, I had a conversation with one of the officers tonight to go over any particular issues from this past week. Compliance unfortunately has not been good at the popular fishing spots along the Chilliwack/Vedder River. The officer recommended that anglers should think about stopping fishing once retaining your limit of four salmon, so others have a chance to fish too.

Please identify your catches before deciding whether they can be legally retained. An angler messaged me tonight reporting that he saw an individual incorrectly identified an adipose clipped Cultus Lake sockeye salmon as a hatchery coho salmon at the Vedder Crossing, proceeded to kill it, then abandoned the fish once being told that it was a sockeye salmon. Please assist your fellow anglers who may not be as educated on the species. If they appear to be unsure, reach out and you potentially may end up saving a fish that is not supposed to be retained.

FOUND!! An angler has found a centerpin setup at Fisherman's corner today. If you left your setup behind, please message me and tell me the description of the setup so I can put you in touch with him.

Also this evening... I was too busy today so my parents went down to the Vedder Crossing on their own because my dad had yet to catch a coho salmon this year. I don't recommend it but they insist. Being 85 and 75, it's a long haul for them to walk from Vedder River Park to the river bank on the other side. Anyway, they got down there, it was too busy so my dad couldn't get many casts in. Meanwhile, after getting my work done I went out on my own to poke around and see if I could find a quiet spot where fish were present. After a bit of walking around, I came across a beautiful run that I hadn't fished this season, and nobody was around. It looked a bit shallow, I scanned through it from top to bottom twice without seeing much. Just when I was about to leave, I spotted one fish finning. It was a tiny ripple but it was so obvious that a coho was down there. A few minutes later, I spotted a couple more. I phoned my parents to see where they were, and they were just leaving back to the car. We had perhaps an hour of daylight left, so I directed them to where I was. Meanwhile, I decided not to make a cast while watching more rollers. ;D They finally arrived, and I proceeded to have my dad standing at where he should, made one cast for him so he could see how far the drift should be, handed the rod over, and a couple seconds later the float was buried and fish on. ;D The fight was actually quite entertaining for the size of the fish, perhaps around 5lb. It came in the net, a wild coho it was. A quick pic and back it went. For the rest of the evening, he managed to miss a couple more bites and I lost a bigger coho. Great way to finish the day without having to fish in the crowd.

Good nigh and enjoy the rest of the long weekend.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Hate to hear thieves vandalizing cars when the owners are out spending a nice day on the river fishing. Good to hear that the owner was able to get the plate number and a vehicle description.

tworivers

Big smiles and a shared grip of the catch says it all Rodney. Thanks for the report.

clarki

• Old Timer

Props to your dad to be out fishing by himself at age 85!

ern

Great Dad photo Rod!
“Rod’s Dad fishing with rod with Rod on Fishing with Rod”

ern

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer

Hate to hear thieves vandalizing cars when the owners are out spending a nice day on the river fishing. Good to hear that the owner was able to get the plate number and a vehicle description.
Probably a stolen car, too ::)

Thanks for the updates, Rod!