Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67365 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Actually, just to add to the last comment lol. I don't oppose to have the aggregated daily quota of salmon reduced to two btw. If people can only catch two and stop fishing afterward, then that'd give many other anglers more opportunities to fish. This would also mean more hatchery coho salmon would bypass, reach the hatchery and seemingly "wasted" though. Fishing space is the issue here, not the abundance of fish available for harvest. I've become more concious on making sure others get the same opportunities when I'm out (well, easier for me to say since I live close by and can go anytime), so have no problem stepping back when I see someone coming all the way from Vancouver to find places to fish.

spoiler

doesn't First Nations get the excess hatchery fish?

stsfisher

The chilliwack system has more than enough fish for everyone, the problem is no one wants to take the time to learn how to be successful on the river. Take the time and put in the effort and eventually you too will be harvesting fish on a regular basis. Limits do not need to be lowered to give others a better chance. Learn to fish and you will get them. I also feel the guys that do well consistently are the ones staying on the river after they get limits, in my experience they are more than happy to leave the river as soon as possible.
I say this with approx 30 years of fishing our local waters for salmon. To this day I still believe I am learning every day on the water in an effort to understand how to be even more successful.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

doesn't First Nations get the excess hatchery fish?

Exactly. People need to have all the background information on the fishery before commenting. When these coho salmon (mostly hatchery fish) reach the hatchery, certain number of them are picked to use as broods. Once enough broods have been collected to reach the egg target, the remaining fish (pretty much all hatchery fish) are surplus. Usually there are 20k, 30k, even 40k of them. A fish processor, contracted by Soowahlie First Nation, then come to the hatchery to transport them to their plant, where the fish are sorted and graded. Some end up as pet food, some end up as fertilizer, some would even end up at your local supermarket. How many hatchery fish anglers retain, have absolutely no impact on the sustainability of this fishery (unless we have a abnormally low return and brood target is hard to achieve). The hatchery staff in fact would love to see you retaining all the hatchery fish that you are allowed, so there are less fish plugging up the channel for them to deal with. I much rather having people retaining and enjoying as many hatchery fish as they want, then focusing on retaining wild stocks, or buying fish from the grocery stores. This, in my opinion, is the most sustainable and healthy protein you can get.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Popped out for an hour before dark on the last day of September. I decided to switch from float fishing soft beads to casting spoons this time, after losing four in a row yesterday morning. The results were a little better, 2 landed out of 4 hook-ups, both wild coho salmon. Prime Lures' Glory Spoon (chartreuse, 2/5oz) was the ticket.

BMo86

This quote is stolen directly from pacific anglers weekly update and I feel like it needs to be shared. Fish that are u molested and happy are much more eager to bite in my opinion." Systems such as the Chilliwack/Vedder, Harrison, Chehalis and Stave are all running very low, in some instances reaching the lowest levels ever recorded for this time of year.  Anglers will want to downsize presentations to suit the conditions; as mentioned in my previous report, now is not the time for your 25mm soft beads.  Unfortunately, low water inevitably encourages some folks to floss/snag fish, which makes things even tougher for those of us who fish ethically. Nothing spooks fish quicker than the repeated ripping of lines through a pool or the spastic, uncontrollable fight of a foul-hooked fish"

psd1179

• Old Timer

This quote is stolen directly from pacific anglers weekly update and I feel like it needs to be shared. Fish that are u molested and happy are much more eager to bite in my opinion." Systems such as the Chilliwack/Vedder, Harrison, Chehalis and Stave are all running very low, in some instances reaching the lowest levels ever recorded for this time of year.  Anglers will want to downsize presentations to suit the conditions; as mentioned in my previous report, now is not the time for your 25mm soft beads.  Unfortunately, low water inevitably encourages some folks to floss/snag fish, which makes things even tougher for those of us who fish ethically. Nothing spooks fish quicker than the repeated ripping of lines through a pool or the spastic, uncontrollable fight of a foul-hooked fish"

Does not matter. There is not stealth presentation in Vedder. any productive spot is non-stop bombed all day long by all kinds of rigs.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

Don't complain, my sweaty long hike this morning resulted in four lost coho and nothing else. ;D

I think I drove past you on the way to your spot Rod! You looked like you were tired from all that walking. Me, on the other hand, could use the exercise. ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I wasn’t tired, I just wanted to get it over with. Dave behind me on the other hand, was losing speed. 🤣
But he also had two 6lb coho on his back so I had to punish him by walking faster.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

I wasn’t tired, I just wanted to get it over with. Dave behind me on the other hand, was losing speed. 🤣
But he also had two 6lb coho on his back so I had to punish him by walking faster.

Lol yes I thought I saw DW beyond you! That’s the nice thing about not landing any hatch coho. No weight to carry back. 😂

canoeboy

• row row row my boat

Oof shots fired :p

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

Oof shots fired :p
It"s ok... Rodney had been whipped enough that day. He could have the walking win over a fat old man... Lol
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

seems like the groups have moved upstream; where abouts is this? prison run?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SteM7_WWcQ

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

heard they are stacked up like cordwood at the mouth, and it's a complete slaughter fest out by sumas fraser confluence.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

A glorious morning with the Glory Spoon lol. Found another pod of finicky coho in a piece of undisturbed but skinny water, and managed to snatch a pair of hatchery fish.