Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67370 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Johnston Strait ?

fic

• Old Timer

fraser chum is looking like it could be okay, JS chum test is not looking good
Fraser Chum caught so far is less than last year according to the Albion Chum Test Fishery.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fos2_Internet/Testfish/rptdtfdparm.cfm?fsub_id=227

I doubt they will open it for October 1st like they have done in the past.

coastangler

I don't know why. Perhaps the publicized doubling of the white spring releases brought this on?

This is an interesting topic. Obviously more population in the Lower Mainland will result in more anglers, less retention opportunities in other rivers may impact this, etc but I also hear about this in other parts of the world. Recently in the Orvis podcast they talked about "pandemic" crowding and number of Anglers of the US popular trout rivers like the Madison, Yellowstone, Missouri and so on. Places like Patagonia also are getting more crowded based on friend reports and this summer I went to Alaska and everyone was saying how fishing pressure for Salmon in rivers has increased compared to 5 years ago. I don't have an answer to it and I don't think is just the pandemic, but I also think about this issue a lot. Wonder if we will end up in a situation like the UK where you have to apply to fish on a river and only fish the days that you have allocated.

On a similar note, I hit the CV this season while Fraser Sockeye was open (thinking that would help!), on a weekday, and was surprised to see so many anglers everywhere
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Chum Slayer

People just go to the Vedder because it is the most popular system, very few people are interested in fishing for coastal cutthroat, rainbow, chum or the odd wild coho on small sloughs and streams. I love going to these small streams in the late fall/ early winter and tossing around flies and jigs for these fish. Maybe it would help by changing the regs to two fish per day chinook or coho of any size as long as they are above 30 cm and making the upper into fly fishing only. It would also help if instead of stocking white springs which aren't native to the Chilliwack system, we stocked chum which is the building blocks of any river system with salmon. Another thing that would help is making a limit to how many cohos a year you can keep just like chinook or steelhead, I have personally dealt with people who retain over 20 hatchery coho a year none of us are fishing for survival or sustenance we are fishing for sport and need to regard it as such if we want to fish for these magnificent fish in the future.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

the population up the valley including Chilliwack is growing fast. Many folks move up there to be close to the fishing. More folks work on line so are able to fish before and after or even work flexible shifts. Changing world

I remember crowding on the VC in the 70s and 80s but not like is today. Most people parked on the dykes and didn't go more than 50 to 100 yards from their vehicle. The Harrison can be crowded but mostly it is not except for jet boat traffic.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

lapa

Most people parked on the dykes and didn't go more than 50 to 100 yards from their vehicle. 
A lot of them want to enjoy fishing and have car that they can safely drive back :)

Darko

• Old Timer

This is an interesting topic. Obviously more population in the Lower Mainland will result in more anglers, less retention opportunities in other rivers may impact this, etc but I also hear about this in other parts of the world. Recently in the Orvis podcast they talked about "pandemic" crowding and number of Anglers of the US popular trout rivers like the Madison, Yellowstone, Missouri and so on. Places like Patagonia also are getting more crowded based on friend reports and this summer I went to Alaska and everyone was saying how fishing pressure for Salmon in rivers has increased compared to 5 years ago. I don't have an answer to it and I don't think is just the pandemic, but I also think about this issue a lot. Wonder if we will end up in a situation like the UK where you have to apply to fish on a river and only fish the days that you have allocated.

On a similar note, I hit the CV this season while Fraser Sockeye was open (thinking that would help!), on a weekday, and was surprised to see so many anglers everywhere
thats ridiculous! I had no idea that was even a thing. Imagine only being able to fish your favorite stream for a week. Maybe the vedder isnt so bad after all...
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Clarki Hunter

thats ridiculous! I had no idea that was even a thing. Imagine only being able to fish your favorite stream for a week. Maybe the vedder isnt so bad after all...

In Germany you have to pass a test in order to get a license.  Something I would fully support here.

Clarki Hunter

I'm wondering how the homeless situation is up river.  When we camped at Thurston a handful of years ago, we were told not to go to far past the campground as there was a huge encampment with aggressive dogs.  Have they gotten a handle on this or is it still bad?

Darko

• Old Timer

In Germany you have to pass a test in order to get a license.  Something I would fully support here.
100%, fish identification, laws and many other things should be tested. Why it is not is beyond me.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

I'm wondering how the homeless situation is up river.  When we camped at Thurston a handful of years ago, we were told not to go to far past the campground as there was a huge encampment with aggressive dogs.  Have they gotten a handle on this or is it still bad?
It’s gotten worse. Almost every pullout has homeless encampments unfortunately.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

much of the feedback MLAs were getting not too many years ago was that regulations were difficult to read and too complex which was driving more casual anglers away. License sales had dropped. So the regulations were simplified & standardized to some extent. A test was established for hunting decades ago and license sales plummeted though the increase in social stigma attached to hunting was also major factor. The question is why test? Will anglers be more responsible just because they passed a test? Could be most do want to follow rules. Will it reduce the number of people buying licenses? Likely since anglers who buy a license when there is a large publicized run may balk when a test is involved. Others who want to fish a few days on vacation may also decide not to bother.  License fees now fund stocking and enhancement in the Province. fewer anglers could lead to much higher fees, which could mean fewer sales yet, a dangerous spiral.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer

much of the feedback MLAs were getting not too many years ago was that regulations were difficult to read and too complex which was driving more casual anglers away. License sales had dropped. So the regulations were simplified & standardized to some extent. A test was established for hunting decades ago and license sales plummeted though the increase in social stigma attached to hunting was also major factor. The question is why test? Will anglers be more responsible just because they passed a test? Could be most do want to follow rules. Will it reduce the number of people buying licenses? Likely since anglers who buy a license when there is a large publicized run may balk when a test is involved. Others who want to fish a few days on vacation may also decide not to bother.  License fees now fund stocking and enhancement in the Province. fewer anglers could lead to much higher fees, which could mean fewer sales yet, a dangerous spiral.
I like the way you think Ralph. I definitely dont think somebody coming here for vacation or on a guided trip should need to take a test but for example new immigrants who speak next to no english should have to prove themself in some way at least. I think even a simple multiple choice exam is fair.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 09:19:47 PM by Darko »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Pretty good fishing tonight after rushing back from a filming trip in Merritt to hit last light. Two coho, one wild and one hatchery, both around 6lb.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

What precautions do you guys take to avoid break ins and your catalytic converters being stolen while fishing ?