Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Author Topic: 2022 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67408 times)

Dave

• Old Timer

It's not unusual to see chum salmon in this system in late September really, we always have found them. It seems that you get that little early push, then there is a pause, and another bigger push in October, and finally a good push in November.

There used to be an August run as well!  The brightest and least sexually developed chum I have seen in the Vedder are (sorry, were !) found in January.  I have seen spawning chums in mid February and a dying, spawned female on March 15

Cyanescens

Just wondering if the fishing boundary signs at the mouth of the Vedder are there for decoration or is there a purpose.  Couple of days in a row now I seen boats anchored well below the boundary signs.  Ignorant, stupid or entitled.  One boat had decals plastered all over it " Sturgeon Slayers"  If its too busy above the boundary signs I guess the entiltled people think its ok to fish below.

There are far worse things to complain about than a couple of anglers catching hatchery fish that are obviously bound for the vedder. Some of the most consistent fishing is at the mouth (Used to fish it back in the day when it was open). As WMY says, if it really bothers you, report it. Or just leave those guys alone, mind your business, and stop being a Karen.

Clarki Hunter

As of Friday, there are about 2,000 fish in the channel at the Chilliwack River Hatchery, about 50/50 chinook and coho. Very likely many more came in over the weekend.

It's amazing they made it past the gauntlet in the canal and the crossing!  I thought for sure the run would be devastated  ;) ;D

roeman

There are far worse things to complain about than a couple of anglers catching hatchery fish that are obviously bound for the vedder. Some of the most consistent fishing is at the mouth (Used to fish it back in the day when it was open). As WMY says, if it really bothers you, report it. Or just leave those guys alone, mind your business, and stop being a Karen.
Leave them alone.  Another stupid person making a comment. But its not open.. I was simply asking if fishing below was an issue..   I guess not.  Why have any regulations. I would love to see how big your mouth is face to face...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 05:26:47 PM by roeman »
Are you fishin or catchin

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

You are in the wrong place if you think not following regs is acceptable.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 06:59:59 PM by dennisK »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

And this is how this discussion goes every year

avid angler

🎻

VictorBai

The rain forecast this week has been reduced from 3 rainy days to 1 day as of today.

Does a low water level postpone the prime season of salmon returns in the Vedder? Or does this cause more casualties?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

The rain forecast this week has been reduced from 3 rainy days to 1 day as of today.

Does a low water level postpone the prime season of salmon returns in the Vedder? Or does this cause more casualties?

Generally coast wide the season seems to be a bit later this year 1 to 2 weeks

Phronesis

Looks like seasons have shifted by few weeks

DanL

• Old Timer

It's not unusual to see chum salmon in this system in late September really, we always have found them. It seems that you get that little early push, then there is a pause, and another bigger push in October, and finally a good push in November.

I've always wondered if these 'pushes' are distinct spawning sub-populations with slightly different run timings, or if it's some sort of evolutionary hedge against varying conditions.

There used to be an August run as well!  The brightest and least sexually developed chum I have seen in the Vedder are (sorry, were !) found in January.  I have seen spawning chums in mid February and a dying, spawned female on March 15
That's pretty amazing. There's no system noawadays that has chum for potentially 8 months. The way you describe it does seem to suggest it could be (now extinct) unique spawning populations.

Dave

• Old Timer

I've always wondered if these 'pushes' are distinct spawning sub-populations with slightly different run timings, or if it's some sort of evolutionary hedge against varying conditions.
That's pretty amazing. There's no system noawadays that has chum for potentially 8 months. The way you describe it does seem to suggest it could be (now extinct) unique spawning populations.
These early run chum are unique and are possibly still existing, thing is we don't know because no one looks.  This stock is one Rodney, myself, buck and Matt Foy have been touting as a possible FN enhancement project.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

the benefit of spending government money on enhancing a late summer chum stock eludes me. Hunter creek and the Coq has a similar return in late August and September. The Chilliwack fish may be strays or the vestige bits of stock that can't get going naturally. If money must be spent to fill the banks of the river with anglers in August why not the early coho returns?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 07:00:25 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

canucksfan233

I have no motivation to go out to the vedder until it rains, need those fishermen to spread out. Anyone else?

jackster

Do not go near the river this Saturday.
There's gonna be a snag fest with some kind of Chinese fishing tournament held by DNE.
Why they want to do this when water is so low is beyond me.
Apparently fish caught up in the arse is accepted.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24