Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: 2022 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67368 times)

sumasriver

I hope someone was able to nab it and bring it home instead of wasting it

nature will find a use for it.... nature wastes nothing.....

Darko

• Old Timer

nature will find a use for it.... nature wastes nothing.....
its true that the nutrients will help the land or feed some birds but the fish is still more worth the spawning resource tho ofc you can never control it fully.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Some instructional video content for those who want to try out the soft beads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-3pYqpsi0w

canucksfan233

its true that the nutrients will help the land or feed some birds but the fish is still more worth the spawning resource tho ofc you can never control it fully.

99% chance hatchery fish though, don't want too many spawning in the wild.

Darko

• Old Timer

99% chance hatchery fish though, don't want too many spawning in the wild.
why would it be a bad thing? Is it because the river cannot sustain more fish or what?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

spawning hatchery fish tend to have less favorable genetics as the hatchery bypasses the Darwinian imperative...survival of the fittest!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 08:36:34 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer

spawning hatchery fish tend to have less favorable genetics as the hatchery bypasses the Darwinian imperative...survival of the fittest!
gee how did I not think of that. That makes sense Ralph, guess I should've payed more attention to my biology teacher  ;D

canucksfan233

gee how did I not think of that. That makes sense Ralph, guess I should've payed more attention to my biology teacher  ;D

Nicknamed bucket fish for a reason. Fish are scooped out of the spawning channel and then chose for sperm and eggs. (probably a little bit more choosy than scooped, but you get the idea)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

The last several weeks I have spent a lot of time highlighting all the dumpings of Fraser River sockeye salmon. A lot of fingers have been pointing at First Nation fishers whenever these postings come up. I do think there is a need to talk abou this, but at the same time we can't label an entire group of people based on the actions of a few. There are lots of positive and innovative things in First Nations' communal fisheries and I intend to highlight those whenever I am invited to do so. I also want to point out that the blatant waste happens within the sportfishing sector too. This photo was sent to me today, taken near the upper recreational fishing boundary on the Chilliwack River. These are white chinook salmon, most likely caught by recreational fishers, with their abdomen cut open so the eggs were taken while the fish were discarded. Not only is this illegal, once again it's just unnecessary waste. I guess this is partly why I've started using less roe and encouraging others to do so as well. If you're going to retain a fish, use the entire fish.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante

......if they return after 3 to 4 years in the ocean they are the fittest....no hatchery staff feeding  or protecting them out in the chuck!
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

roeman

......if they return after 3 to 4 years in the ocean they are the fittest....no hatchery staff feeding  or protecting them out in the chuck!
Exactly.... This idea that a hatchery fish should not be able to spawn is just plain stupid.. The genetics of the egg or spunk are still there whether or not it happens in a side channel of the river or in a hatchery. 
Are you fishin or catchin

samw

Exactly.... This idea that a hatchery fish should not be able to spawn is just plain stupid.. The genetics of the egg or spunk are still there whether or not it happens in a side channel of the river or in a hatchery.

Too many hatchery fish inbreeding would produce more genetic defects and reduce genetic diversity in future generations.  The hatchery fish are produced from a small number of broodstock.

sbc hris

Too many hatchery fish inbreeding would produce more genetic defects and reduce genetic diversity in future generations.  The hatchery fish are produced from a small number of broodstock.

That's the idea as I understand it. The genetic diversity gets watered down. Instead of 2 fish from a breeding pair making it back to spawn, you get maybe 10 fish from a breeding pair (because more fish survive to a larger stage in the hatchery). After several generations that really starts to add up.

chardeemacdenis

A few coho showing...
Fishing isn't catching

Darko

• Old Timer

A few coho showing...
nice fish!
I saw today on facebook that somebody had their gas tank drilled into and drained. (Ford explorer) crimes like these and catalytic converter thefts are concerning as well as break ins. Although I'm less likely to be a target because I drive a nissan versa what can one do to prevent stuff like this from happening. The fact we need to think about stuff like this when we fishing is awful.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24